Author Topic: Monmouthshire Assizes Information Please  (Read 2371 times)

Offline mackaa

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Monmouthshire Assizes Information Please
« on: Sunday 20 July 14 11:02 BST (UK) »
Hi All
I would appreciate help finding more information about 3 x Gt Grandfather transported to Western Australia.  James MOUNTAIN was born in Ireland circa 1825.  Nothing known about his parents.  He married Brigid BROWN on 5 Feb 1843 at Dungarvan in County Waterford.  Four children born ... Mary Ann baptised 4 Sep 1844 in Dungarvan, Catherine baptised 27 Sep 1846 in Dungarvan, Bridget (Brigid) circa 1949 and Thomas baptised 4 Jul 1851 in Dungarvan also.  Nothing known about Brigid BROWN's parents either.

On the 4th of June 1853 James was arrested in Bedwelty, Wales for stabbing with intent to do grievous bodily harm.  He was tried at Mounmouth Assizes on the 29 July 1953 and sentenced to 15 years transportation.  He was shipped on the "Adelaide" to Western Australia on 16 April 1955 and arrived 18 Jul 1855.  Occupation Carpenter.  Wife and four children followed him to WA in 1864.

OK so what I would like to find is .....
Online transcripts of the assizes in Monmouth for 29 July 1853 (or if not available online how else to apply for them)
If possible details of where James was held between 4 June 1853 and 29 July 1853
If possible details of where James was held between 29 Jul 1853 and 16 Apr 1855
Any idea why he was in Bedwelty in 1853 - have not been able to find on 1851 Census

Of course there a million other questions but this is an area of research I have no experience with hence the reason I am asking for help.

BTW I have searched all the online information I can find about transportation etc so am not looking for help with the convict registers or any of that - have also found an article in "The Morning Post dated 4 Aug 1853".  I am just looking for ways to search the questions I have above.
TIA

Melanie

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Monmouthshire Assizes Information Please
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 20 July 14 14:37 BST (UK) »
Hallo, Melanie

The Adelaide sailed form Portland in April 1855 carrying transportees from all over the British Isles.  There was a convict prison in Portland, so it is very likely that James was there in early 1855. The following Rootschat thread might give you some ideas as to where to look for information on prisoners: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=113703.0.

Good hunting!
Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 20 July 14 16:05 BST (UK) »
Can't answer your specific questions but to get a possible idea of the process he might have gone through -

welshnewspapers.llgc.org.uk/en/home

Use search key = transportation, select Monmouthshire Merlin and restrict date to 1850 using slider bars.

Tab down to Monmouthshire Merlin 4 May 1850 and click on MONMOUTH

Other articles mention prisoners being sent to Reading Gaol or Millbank

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 20 July 14 16:27 BST (UK) »
There's a report of the case in the Mon Merlin, 5 Aug 1853 (very similar to the Morning Post item).

It doesn't come up under the search key "James Mountain" - found it under search key "Bedwellty".

P.S - use search key "huddlestone" to save searching columns

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 20 July 14 16:49 BST (UK) »
Monmouthshire Genealogy   "MonGenes

mongenes.org.uk/Home.html

Offline mackaa

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 21 July 14 07:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks everyone for your replies so far.
Phllip - the link the rootschat thread is very helpful.  Have had a look at the TNA information and emailed them for further help.
Hanes - thanks for your links - also helpful - found the articles you mention and had a good look at mongenes - have asked for access to their databases.

Pending a reply from TNA I am still interested in any other suggestions as this is totally new ground for me.
Thanks lovely people
Melanie