Author Topic: Limavady - Whiteside  (Read 2813 times)

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Limavady - Whiteside
« on: Friday 31 October 14 15:18 GMT (UK) »
I wonder if anyone in their Limavady research has come across an individual called John Whiteside (possibly John W Whiteside), whose wife was Sarah. The period I'm interested in would be the later 1920s and onwards - certainly into the 1930s.
This request is a continuation of a previous post I made here concerning my search for my missing grandfather. Sarah Whiteside was my grandfather's sister. The Whitesides may have owned a shop - again, I have only a couple of vague stories to work with. Very grateful for any help or suggestions.

Offline miriamkinga

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Henry Kingston Goater 1853-1920
    • View Profile
Re: Limavady - Whiteside
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 October 14 15:26 GMT (UK) »
W&R Whiteside, grocers appear in a 1907 directory in Larne though not Limavady (not sure how far apart they are?): -

http://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/PT19079.htm

Sorry have just checked - 60 miles apart - probably too far :(
GOATER, LAN, ALL
BOURKE, MAYO/ LAN
LONERGAN, TIP
McGREAL, MAYO
FLAHERTY, GALWAY/ ALL
HOUGH, LAN/ ALL

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 October 14 15:55 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your reply - as to it's being too far away from my search area - you never know! I keep everything on file. Best wishes

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 February 16 17:50 GMT (UK) »
I found the address of JW Whiteside and his wife Sarah on a piece of correspondence, dated 1926. Using the http posted by Miriamkinga, I was able to find the address in a Belfast street directory of 1932––but the Whitesides must have moved on. Living at the address in 1932 was one 'Atkins, JW, manager'. Coincidence that Atkins had the same initials as JW Whiteside.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 07 February 16 17:56 GMT (UK) »
What was the address for the Whitesides that you found? Lots of new resources online since you started this thread  :)

Added- I may have found something
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 February 16 18:17 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I have found a bit more on the Whitesides. Using the late 1920s address I found then checking the 1932 directory I saw the name Atkins that you found.
   www.lennonwylie.co.uk/scomplete1932.htm

Belfast City Cemetery-public ground:
stillborn male child of John & Sarah Whiteside, 32 Sandhurst Dr., born & buried 4 Mar.1927
   https://ssl.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialRecordDetails.aspx?RecordID=8027.10540
stillborn male child of John & Sarah Whiteside (home 32 Sandhurst Dr.), Townsend St Maty Hospl, born 14 Jan.1929, buried 15 Jan.1929   
   https://ssl.belfastcity.gov.uk/burialsearch/BurialRecordDetails.aspx?RecordID=8037.11851

You could do more searching in the cemetery database although I didn't spot John or Sarah there.

Offline yelkcub

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 February 16 18:35 GMT (UK) »
What you have found certainly takes my research some way further forward. Sad to think of the two stillbirths. Sarah would have been 38 when the second tragedy struck, and I guess we have to assume that the couple had no children. I still have no idea about John Wilson Whiteside's origins, though the surname seems to be at greatest concentration in north Lancashire (Preston, Fylde).
When Sarah joined the QA nursing service in 1918, her first posting was to Belfast, and I wondered if the couple had met during that time. After her Belfast posting she went out for a long spell to Constantinople, and finished her active QA career in Dublin. FreeBMD has the death of a Sarah Whiteside (correct age) in 1949 in Bury, not far from Sarah Buckley's original home, Rochdale. Many thanks for this information, which I shall add to my file for reflection! Best wishes

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 February 16 18:49 GMT (UK) »
Did you ever order the marriage certificate? it would give you his father's name and occupation and could lead to more information on John & Sarah.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 07 February 16 18:59 GMT (UK) »
This might help you identify the Bury death further-

1950 WHITESIDE Sarah of Walmersley House Walmersley-road Bury Lancashire widow died 5 December 1949 at The Infirmary Bury Probate London 18 March to Sarah Drinkwater spinster and Sarah Dex (wife of James Edward Dex) effects £745 15s 4d.