Author Topic: Questeds in Kent  (Read 3915 times)

Offline lunarjan

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Questeds in Kent
« on: Monday 26 May 14 20:42 BST (UK) »
Once upon a time there was a girl named Mary Quested, born in about 1765, who married George Pilcher in Fordwich, near Canterbury, in 1786. I am trying to find out who her parents were, at the moment there are three possible baptisms for her.
1. 21 May 1765 in Wye, parents Thomas Quested and Frances.
2. 3 Nov 1765 in Smeeth, parents John Quested and Sarah Head.
3. 1 July 1764 in Kennington, parents James Quested and Elizabeth Perkins.

Just wondering if anyone knows whether her parents' names would be on the original marriage record? I have looked through most of the Trees on 'Ancestry' which include her, and nearly all of them have her parents as John and Sarah, but there is no actual proof of this, they all seem to have other Trees as their sources, and many of them have her death in 1785/6, before her children were born!! I have John and Sarah's family, and Mary and George's descendants. Also have James and Elizabeth with their Mary, but nothing for Thomas and Frances.

One faint clue is that George and Mary named two of their children John and Sarah. But I'm not sure whether naming patterns were adhered to at that time?

There are two other marriages for a Mary Quested, one to James Drowley in 1784 in Canterbury, and one to Edward page in Elham in 1784.

I'd be very grateful if anyone could advise me how to identify the correct parents for Mary!

Many thanks

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Questeds in Kent
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 May 14 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi lunarjan

One of our members (pjbuk007) is assisting with a Quested one name study, she might be able to help

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?action=profile;u=32260

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline lunarjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 08:27 BST (UK) »
Thank you Dawn, that sounds hopeful, I'll get in touch with her. Best wishes, Jan

Offline Aceh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 July 14 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Lunarjan,

I'm not sure that this will be useful to you but here goes. From the outer regions of my Culmer tree I have:-
Mary Ann Quested born c 1792 at Thames Ditton married at Denton near Dover on 20 June 1820 to William Culmer baptised 20 August 1786 at Preston by Wingham. William was an Ostler at Dover and their descendants remained in that area through to the 1880s. 
CUL(L)MER: N, E + SE London 19 cent, E Kent pre 1830, New York post 1850, Vic Australia post 1850
JOHNSON: (dockers/ropemakers) Tower Hamlets pre WWII
OSBORN:(dyers, scourers & gloove cleaners) Hoxton, Islington, Clerkenwell pre 1900
KEWLEY: Bradford 1830-1913, IoM pre 1850
CANNELL: IoM pre 1820
FABB: Cambridge
COLE(S): Warks/Oxon border pre 1830
RILEY: (RC) Bishopsgate area pre 1800
HALE: Brighton pre 1850
KIPPS: E Kent pre 1750
HARDING: MEOT post 1850, Bath Area pre 1850
PARTINGTON Lancs

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 06 July 14 19:48 BST (UK) »
Just wondering if anyone knows whether her parents' names would be on the original marriage record?

Unfortunately, they are not.

Findmypast has the images for both the banns and the marriage, but no parents are listed.
It notes that George was from Sturry, and Mary of "this" parish (Fordwich, St Mary the Virgin).  George signed with an X, and Mary signed herself. Witnesses were Wm Marsh, and Eliza (Warner?)  Eliza's surname is hard to read, so that is best guess. The date of the actual marriage was 02 Oct 1786.

Offline lunarjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 July 14 13:13 BST (UK) »
Thank you Aceh for the info regarding Questeds in your Tree. I haven't yet found any connections with this family, but I'm sure that all the Questeds link up somewhere in the dim and distant past! Your Mary is too young to be the one I'm searching for, but will let you know if I find any links to her.
Best wishes, Jan

And thank you bbart, for looking at the marriage record for me. I'm wondering if William Marsh and Eliza Warner were relatives, but thus far I haven't come across them. One day I'll visit the area and search for some clues, but haven't found any Questeds born in Fordwich, so whichever Mary it was must have come from another area, maybe was working in Fordwich before she was married?

Best wishes, Jan

Offline Aceh

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 21 August 14 19:45 BST (UK) »
Evening Lunarjan,

Here's another Quested for you from my Culmer files; this one in Canterbury Marriage Licences:

Rob Quested of Monkton yeo bach (30) & Mary Culmer of the s[ame] wid, at M[onkton], Ickham or Wingham. 26 May 1753
CUL(L)MER: N, E + SE London 19 cent, E Kent pre 1830, New York post 1850, Vic Australia post 1850
JOHNSON: (dockers/ropemakers) Tower Hamlets pre WWII
OSBORN:(dyers, scourers & gloove cleaners) Hoxton, Islington, Clerkenwell pre 1900
KEWLEY: Bradford 1830-1913, IoM pre 1850
CANNELL: IoM pre 1820
FABB: Cambridge
COLE(S): Warks/Oxon border pre 1830
RILEY: (RC) Bishopsgate area pre 1800
HALE: Brighton pre 1850
KIPPS: E Kent pre 1750
HARDING: MEOT post 1850, Bath Area pre 1850
PARTINGTON Lancs

Offline lunarjan

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 August 14 20:48 BST (UK) »
Thankyou for that, I will save the record in hopes that they will eventually fit in to the Quested Tree. I have not found any Monkton Questeds thus far. Am waiting for my Quested friend to visit (from Cornwall) so we can go on an exploratory trip round Kent to collect evidence! I'm sure that one day the pieces of the puzzle will all fit. Jan

Offline Carol gent

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 December 15 09:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi lunarjan.
We have questeds who farm down the road from us,we live near Sandwich.
Good luck!
 Carol