Author Topic: Briggs - Thornbury - 1565 - 1620  (Read 3005 times)

Offline ptharp48

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Briggs - Thornbury - 1565 - 1620
« on: Wednesday 03 February 10 22:12 GMT (UK) »
I saw a post by a ChasH who can do lookups for deaths in Thornbury - looking for him or anyone who can help!

Richard Briggs b: 1565 Thornbury, Gloucestershire d: 4/30/1620 Thornbury
married: Agnes Wingard 1/19/1590

I am looking for verification of his birth/death - and would LOVE to get a death certificate and/or picture of his tombstone.

They are listed in the parish registry of St. Mary's in Thornbury, Gloucestershire (now Avon)
Marriage date verified by Gloucestershire County Council!

Would there be any way to get a copy of a marriage certificate or just of the records?

If you have info on this line or are researching same - PLEASE contact me!

Offline Rachatfalcon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Briggs - Thornbury - 1565 - 1620
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 February 10 10:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi there

I have no research connections with the name or area, but I do live in Thornbury and I can see the church from our window! St Mary's church is where my son was baptised in 2007, and it is literally right next to Thornbury Castle which is where I got married!

http://maps.google.co.uk/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=st+marys+thornbury&sll=53.800651,-4.064941&sspn=15.79107,46.450195&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=St+Marys+Way,+Thornbury,+Bristol,+Avon+BS35+2BH,+United+Kingdom&ll=51.613273,-2.530112&spn=0.001011,0.002835&t=h&z=19

This is a google maps image of the church, ignore the little labels they are a few metres out. The church is the obvious building in the middle of the screen with the graveyard outside. The Castle is just above it, and you can zoom out to see its location compared to Thornbury itself.

Here are some useful links for information on Thornbury, and the records available:

http://www.thornburyroots.co.uk/sources3.htm

If your guy is buried at St Mary's, this plan of the graveyard might be useful:

http://stmarys.thornburyroots.co.uk/instructions.htm

You won't be able to get a marriage certificate for anything before 1837 as they weren't done then, so the parish records are the only option.

I don't have access to the parish registers, but if you do find out when he was buried I would be happy to walk down to the church and photograph the grave for you if it turns out that is where he is buried.

Just for your information, Thornbury used to be in Avon but Avon no longer exists - we are now part of "South Gloucestershire" :)

Please contact me if I can help with the above,
Regards
Rachel
P.S. If you reply and I don't seem to have noticed, please send me a private message to nudge me, my memory is terrible and I may forget to check back here! I will be online every day at some point, so any reply shouldn't take long.
Jones, Forest of Dean
Jones, North Wales
Roberts, North Wales
Davis, Bucks
Selwyn, South East
Cresswell, London
King, Donhead St Andrew, Wilts
Barratt, Semley, Wilts
Rawlins, Southampton and Portsmouth
Clark, Fareham
Mead, Croydon and Military/Army
Mansell, Forest of Dean
Coopey, Forest of Dean
Cook/e, Forest of Dean

Offline ChasH

• My email is no longer working sorry
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 February 10 15:18 GMT (UK) »
PT,

This request is almost the same as your message in look-up requests.

I have only ever searched two films of Thornbury records and that was four years ago.  I was interested in the early 19th C and, if my memory serves me right, the entries for the years in the  parish register I tried to search, were awful and most were nigh on unreadable.  I have never offered look-ups for Thornbury - but with my memory :D

You ask for marriage and death certificates - there were no such things until the Sept qtr of 1837.

The only way you just MIGHT find the info you want is by hiring and searching LDS film number 427790 which shows the Bishop's transcripts (BT's) written annually  by the vicars/curates from the Thornbury parish church registers 1578 to 1812.   The film was used by LDS members and others to produce batch number C057831 at the Hugh Wallis site http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~hughwallis/IGIBatchNumbers/CountyGloucester_(N-Z).htm#T  but burial info. is not given in batches as a rule.  LDS batches do not necessarily give every baptism and marriage entry given in BT's because some may have been deleted after being used in LDS members' submissions.

BT's are expected to contain information concerning baptisms, marriages and burials but early ones are often difficult to read and the LDS library advises that many years are missing from the Thornbury ones.  Then there can be a problem with Latin to say nothing about recognising the individual letters making up the words.  I speak from experience of the 17th C entries in the Horsley film I have on hire and I've searched over thirty LDS films - some twice :D

I note that there are also microfiches available for hire - see the LDS catalogue at http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=702601&disp=Computer+printout+of+Thornbury%2C+Gloucs%20%20&columns=*,0,0

With such early dates it is unlikely that any answer will be forthcoming so I advise that you contact your nearest LDS FHC but be prepared for disappointment if you hire a film.

Regards

Chas

P.S.  Thornbury was in Avon and  Avon is now defunct thank goodness ;D

My email is no longer working sorry
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Bevstn:DAVIES:HIGGS:PERROT
Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
ChSod:HARDING:HIGGS
Colrne:GOLDEN
G Bad:DAVIES
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG
K'St:BISHOP:PINEGAR
Marsh'd:BLAKE
Minch:HILL:MASON:PERRIN
N.Nib:PERROT:SHATFORD:WAYMAN:WOODWARD
N.Wrax:BLAKE

Offline ptharp48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 February 10 16:13 GMT (UK) »
Good morning - I was SOO very happy to hear from both of you!
I really am having problems finding anything on these Briggs!

I just had time to scan you messages this morning, have to run off to work, but I definitly will read them when I get home!

I found the picture of the church and castle very interesting! Awsome that you live right next to it!!
I will absolutely be in touch with you again! So excited to find someone that actually lives in Thornbury!!

Ya'all have a great day and hopefully we will talk more in near future!!

Offline ChasH

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 06 February 10 10:13 GMT (UK) »
PT,

Yes, the Richard Brigs marriage to Agnis Wingod is an extracted entry in the IGI.  Extracted entries are usually considered acceptable even so I always check church records because extraction errors can be made.

Two years ago I hired and searched a film of Horsley's records and could not find the baptism record for Rebeckah Bayley which is given in LDS batch number C018102.

The film I have on hire at the present is of the parish register and the records showing baptisms in 1704 does not give a Rebeckah anyname.  On the other hand, there's no extracted entry for the marriage of a Henery Baily to Bebekah Drew in 1703 and the need to verify the submitted entry for the marriage is another reason for hiring the latest film.

Your problem may be greater than you think because if any of the steps you've taken to reach the Richard Brigs marriage is an IGI submitted entry, you could be on very shaky ground so need to verify each of those steps by searching church records.  But if all you want is an impressive looking tree . . . .

Regards

Chas

P.S.  See also another film's coverage details (view film notes) at - http://www.familysearch.org/eng/library/fhlcatalog/supermainframeset.asp?display=titledetails&titleno=64569&disp=Parish+registers+for+Thornbury%20%20&columns=*,0,0

Bisly:BROWN:COOK:CURTIS:DAVIS:FRANKLIN:GARDINER:GRIME:JEFFERIES:PEACEY:STEPHENS:WARREN
Horsly:ADAMS:BAYLY:BIRD:COOK:EVANS:GAZARD:HILL:LEWIS:MATTHEWS:PRIDE:SKIRTON:TEAKLE:TURK:WALKLEY:YOUNG

Offline ptharp48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 07 February 10 00:35 GMT (UK) »
Thanks so much for the comeback ChasH.
However - I was a little upset about your comment of ' ="if all you want is an impressive looking tree . . . . "
I am trying everything I can to get to the original records - I wrote to St. Mary's church and they told me they no longer keep records that they are now kept somewhere else - (I have since forgotten where they said without doing a lot of looking as it was many years ago!) But I also wrote where they told me now kept the records and they are the ones that verified the marriage date and they insinuated that there are more records available but I have to pay a researcher to locate them and I have no idea what that would cost! Do you happen to know of a researcher I could get that doesn't charge an outrageous price?

I definitely will check out the info you sent about the other film coverage.Thank you for the comeback and the information.
....Pam

Offline ptharp48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 07 February 10 00:42 GMT (UK) »
ChasH - I was just looking at the info you sent about the microfilms on marriages, births, deaths etc on Gloucestershire -

MAN does that look like what I have been looking for !!!!!

My question is - HOW do I get my hands on those so I can look at them?
Could I get them thru a genealogy library or family center at an LDS church?

This would be awsome if I can get a look at them!!
THANKS

Offline ChasH

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The fool Monty
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 07 February 10 08:26 GMT (UK) »
PT,

If you go to http://www.familysearch.org/eng/default.asp you will find there's how to get to an LDS FHC.  The charge in the U.K. is £7.50 for a three month hire.  The FHC will have viewers to use and one is not allowed to take films away from the FHC.

Sorry if you felt peeved about my "But if you want . . . " etc. but honestly, there are some people who do not bother to try to verify IGI submitted data and will connect branches to their tree then publish it just because of a commonality of surnames/places and submitted fairytales.  I'm glad to know you're not one of them :)

Regards

Chas

P.S. the LDS has a project in hand to digitize their millions of films and make them available on line.  It might take a day or two ;D ;D ;D

P.P.S.  Whilst I was typing this, my wife told me she'd just found that somebody claims her gr grandfather and descendants for whom she has ample verification detail, but gives him a different father in their tree :D  Q.E.D.

Offline ptharp48

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 February 10 00:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi again ChasH
thanks so much for all the info!

Can you tell me how much £7.50 for a three month hire would be in American dollars?

THANKS so much....Pam