Author Topic: Parish records for Denbighsire? - UPDATE - Welsh readers needed please!  (Read 3158 times)

Offline alexscotney

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Can anyone help with links to parish records for Denbighshire? I am trying to locate the early years in the life of Ellen Evans, born 1850 to father Thomas. She is my 2nd great grandmother. She married Henry Lund in 1876 and then Thomas Dixon in 1896. In both the 1881 and 1891 census her birthplace is given as Nantyr, Denbighshire. Unhelpfully, the 1901 census gives her birth place simply as Aber (I say unhelpfully - is there a place simply called Aber??) I have tried to find her birth certificate but without success. A search on Familysearch earlier has thrown up a couple of baptism records which seem close by geographically and are my best hope yet, but there is no info about parents: https://familysearch.org/search/collection/results?count=20&query=%2Bgivenname%3Aellen~%20%2Bsurname%3Aevans~%20%2Bbirth_year%3A1849-1851~%20%2Bfather_givenname%3Athomas~&collection_id=1419318

My question is, is there any way of seeing the records online?

UPDATE - having done another search through the census entries for 1851/1861, I have found the the following references:

1851:  HO107/ 2499/ 569 Page: 5
1861: RG9/4313/ 62 Page: 12

Now I believe these might the right entries - not least because Jane Evans, who appears on the 1861 census, might be the same Jane Evans who was a witness to Ellen's first marriage. The ages and names of the family all tally from one census to the next.

The only slight doubt I still have is regarding place names. Although the census states Llangadwaladr is in Denbighshire, I can only appear to find it on Anglesey. Can anyone reassure me to this end?

Many thanks

Alex

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Parish records for Denbighsire? - UPDATE - Welsh readers needed please!
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 20:17 BST (UK) »
Llangadwaladr was indeed in Denbighshire and you will see that Nantyr was one of its Townships;
http://www.genuki.org.uk/big/wal/DEN/Llangadwaladr/index.html

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Francis - Nantwich Cheshire.
Dennell - Cheshire/Staffordshire.
Talbot-Shropshire
Census Information Is Crown Copyright,from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline alexscotney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 20:35 BST (UK) »
That's superb William, thanks for your help. This has led me to think I've got the right person/family. However, in terms of a registered birth, given the date (she was 3 months old at the time of the 1851 census - April) the only possibility I've been left with is an Ellen Evans registered in Ruthin. It is 28 miles or so away though. Does that sound likely, or should I try a bit closer to home, or might it just be that the birth wasn't registered full stop?

Offline Cas (stallc)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 21:01 BST (UK) »
Is there a possibility she may have been named Eleanor, but called Ellen??  This would be the right reg district for area born.

Births Mar 1851   
Evans    Eleanor         Llanfyllin    27   74
Census information is Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Squire/Thomas/Davies/Gibbons/Mordecai/Bowen/Lewis/Rees/Williams/Jones/Llewellyn/Morgan - Glamorgan
Lewis - Breckonshire
Davies/Roderick - Myddfai Carms
Lloyd/Jones - Denbigh/Salop
Thackwell/Thomas - Hereford/Monmouthshire
Shoemac/Squire/Keirle/Small - Somerset
Berry/Baggot/Lee/Clayton - Lancs
Yelland/Bray/Trethewey - Cornwall
Baggot/Hurley/Keaveny/Shiel/Flynn - Ireland

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 21:04 BST (UK) »
Whilst as I say it is and was recorded as being in Denbighshire,given that it is very close to Montgomeryshire and also Merionethshire,I'm afraid it is one of those places where you can't be too literal searching for a birth!

As far as the GRO births it will have been recorded as in  the Llanfyllin District of Montgomeryshire.

Regards
William Russell Jones.
Jones, Griffiths. Stephens, Parry, Gabriel, Conway, Hughes, Evans, Roberts, Lea, Hanmer. Peake, Edwards. Newnes, Davies. Thomas. "Blythin".
All North Wales.
Conway, Durber, Cartlidge, Lovatt, Bebington. Brindley, Sankey, Brunt. Dean. Clewes. Rhodes. Mountford,Walker,Bache, "Gibbons"Hood. Taylor
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline wrjones

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 21:05 BST (UK) »
Is there a possibility she may have been named Eleanor, but called Ellen??  This would be the right reg district for area born.

Births Mar 1851   
Evans    Eleanor         Llanfyllin    27   74

Yes it looks pretty good to me!

Regards
William Russell Jones.
All North Wales.
All Stoke-on-Trent.
Talbot-Shropshire

Offline alexscotney

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 21:07 BST (UK) »
Whilst as I say it is and was recorded as being in Denbighshire,given that it is very close to Montgomeryshire and also Merionethshire,I'm afraid it is one of those places where you can't be too literal searching for a birth!

As far as the GRO births it will have been recorded as in  the Llanfyllin District of Montgomeryshire.

Regards
William Russell Jones.

Oh drat...I've literally just ordered a GRO search for Merionethshire as I'd seen a record for Dolgelly. Still, if that isn't the one at least I'll get a refund...again! And thanks to Cas, I know the next record to try and hit!

Thanks all!  :)

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 May 14 09:13 BST (UK) »
Registration Districts of England/Wales  www.ukbmd.org.uk/genuki/reg

Click on"Index of Place Names" and you can check the appropriate Reg Dist. for Llansanffraid Glyn Ceiliog and Llangadwaladr in 1850/1851

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 29 May 14 09:22 BST (UK) »
Just to say that the 1851 Ellen Evans' parents were Thomas & Ann of Plas Nantyr. Baptised (as Ellen) on 9th February, aged 7 weeks. From my Glynceiriog records  :)

Gadget

PS - I used to cycle up to Nantyr on my bicycle when I was young - it was not an easy ride ;D

Map    http://www.rootschat.com/links/0zv9/
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***