Author Topic: Branxton Peter Darling  (Read 5829 times)

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Branxton Peter Darling
« on: Sunday 27 September 09 14:36 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone assist with baptism details for a Peter Darling born around 1802 give or take a couple of years?

Thank you
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline c-side

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • The 'three' now have a cousin
    • View Profile
Re: Branxton Peter Darling
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 27 September 09 14:50 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Branxton Bishop's transcripts are online here -

http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html#c=1309819;s=waypointsOnly;w=0;p=waypoint

They are not indexed - you have to search for yourself.  I would have looked for you but it's telling me the image is currently unavailable, please try later  :-\

Christine

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 27 September 09 14:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you; I am trying that avenue but keep getting same message.. I wonder if they are there at all!
Grant, Charters, Knowles, Blanch, Robson, Ward, Maughan, Adams, Griffin, Lucas, Ansell, Lumsden

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 27 September 09 15:59 BST (UK) »
Branxton is under the IGI extracted records but no Darling come up. Doesn't mean it is not there but there are none with that last name at all.

Janis
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 27 September 09 17:41 BST (UK) »
Branxton is also a minute parish - population around 200 at the time you're looking at.

There is a Peter Darling in neighbouring Kirknewton but not until 1831.  There are also a few with that surname in Ford (not far away) listed under Dissenters - probably from the Presbyterian church in nearby Etal.

If there's a chance that they might have been Presbyterian then there's a possibility that they popped over the border into Scotland for religious ceremonies.  Branxton is right on the border

Christine

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 27 September 09 18:14 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am considering the popping over the border possibility as I know of it's proximity to Scotland, living in Scotland as I do. Is there any other info from 1831 source you have? Other Darlings, etc. I have been through the Ford registers already... I could try Etal.

Thanks

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 27 September 09 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

The Kirknewton IGI batch no. is P000931.  It does give his parents as Peter and Sarah so this could be the one you are looking for.

Etal is part of Ford parish back then but the Presbyterian church was in Etal.  All the records of births are in Ford parish registers under Dissenters and included in IGI transcriptions.  There are a few of mine in there which is how I know.  If I remember rightly they are in the register under the heading 'children perported to have been born'  ::)

Christine

Offline habanero

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 03 October 09 20:18 BST (UK) »
Hi

It is the baptism of Peter the father I am seeking... will keep looking!

Thanks

Offline c-side

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 04 October 09 00:08 BST (UK) »
Yes, I thought it could be 'Peter, the father' but, so far, he's not appearing anywhere.

I wonder whether there are any neighbouring parishes not covered on IGI.  I used to use the Hugh Wallis site for guidance on this but it hasn't been updated for so long it is no longer current.

The good, long term, news is that Northumberland records are starting to go onto freereg but it takes a long time to get that many transcriptions done!

Christine