Author Topic: blyth buildings  (Read 23339 times)

stormtroop

blyth buildings
« on: Monday 30 September 13 12:49 BST (UK) »
hello,

Can anyone tell me about a building which used to be near the quayside , it was called Diamond Jubilee Home , it was a large lodging house in Ballast Hill. I found it on the 1911 census. are there any references to it anywhere or old photographs, or tales...??. any help appreciated.

thanks.

Offline everlea

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: blyth buildings
« Reply #1 on: Monday 30 September 13 14:24 BST (UK) »
Have you seen the other post on here from 2007? If you enter "Ballast Hill" in "Search" you'll see

refs to old maps etc. in the answer.

Everlea.

stormtroop

« Reply #2 on: Monday 30 September 13 18:56 BST (UK) »
Yes, I did see this 2007 topic, I have seen the maps, I found them yesterday as well as this site.

I would like to know what happened to the building and if any photographs exist?.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 30 September 13 19:33 BST (UK) »
Just to 'cross reference' the topic.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=257974.0

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.
Berkshire; Knight, Bristor, Sharpe, Sharp, Ashley.
Suffolk / Essex; Perce, Pearce, Pearse, Pierce, Hayes.
Midlands; Hodgetts, Parker, Easthope.

Online hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 30 September 13 19:47 BST (UK) »
The Morpeth Herald ran this advert Sep 1908
"Wanted, a good steady WOMAN as Deputy of Lodging House, Diamond Jubilee Home, Ballast Hill, Blyth; wages 7/- per week; outside bed. Apply John Larson"

Intrigued as to "outside bed"!!

John Larson was at the Diamond Jubilee on the 1901 Census.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 30 September 13 19:56 BST (UK) »
Here is an old picture (circa mid '60s) of Ballast Hill, looking North.

P
Northumberland; Johnson, Johnston, Dodds, Rutherford, Gray, Kennedy, Wilson, Sanderson, Davidson and other Border Marauders as they are discovered on this journey.

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 16:57 BST (UK) »
You can also see Ballast Hill from a different angle in this 1927 aerial view. Ballast Hill is in the top left quarter running up to the railway.

http://www.britainfromabove.org.uk/image/epw019745?start=9&dir=1&ref=303

I had hoped to be able to identify the Diamond Jubilee Home by following the 1901 census, but I have been unable to do so. Ballast Hill had 16 groups of families and individuals recorded, all of them living in any group of rooms from 2 - 4. I have been unable to break them up into individual houses and it staggers me that the DJH had 60 lodgers in it on the night of the 1901 census! No buildings on that street look large enough to accommodate such a large group of individuals. Perhaps they had 6 to a bed, head to toe!

I think Larson's Lodging House aka Diamond Jubilee Home must have had rooms within the whole row of terraces on one side of the street. I hope more information is forth coming that will clarify the situation.

P

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 19:25 BST (UK) »
it staggers me that the DJH had 60 lodgers in it on the night of the 1901 census! No buildings on that street look large enough to accommodate such a large group of individuals.
P

The Diamond Jubilee Home was at 11 Ballast Hill. In 1911 there were 100 people staying there, unfortunately the person filling in the return neglected to put the number of rooms  :(
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Phodgetts

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 01 October 13 22:33 BST (UK) »
I think the terrace houses on Ballast Hill must have been utilised by Larson, by either renting the properties in bulk from the owner, or by buying them up himself. They appear from the various photographs I have, to be predominantly 2 up 2 down type houses. On the census of 1901 where various occupiers are recorded as living 2 rooms etc. I think they must have been occupying either an upstairs or a downstairs, almost like flats. Judging by the chimney stacks on extant buildings, each room had it's own fireplace, so it would have been easy enough to rent single rooms out to people needing somewhere to stay. Apparently as whole families lived in some of the rooms, then it would have been probable to have several people share when staying at the Diamond Jubilee Home which was recorded as number 15 Ballast Hill on the 1901. I doubt very much that it would have been a nice place to stay. Such a shame that so few of the street's buildings survive.

I'd be interested to learn more about the chapel on the street and the sail loft, but in another thread maybe.

Here is a shot of Ballast hill as it was circa 1983 when more of the buildings were still there.

P