Author Topic: Watson - Ulgham - early 1800s  (Read 3893 times)

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Watson - Ulgham - early 1800s
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 19 June 14 00:05 BST (UK) »
Yepp, and just a hop, skip and a jump from Hadston :)
If it is them then I think they may have moved on to Hepscott afterwards, so all farms in a fairly close area. Just did a quick skim of the later censuses. I have not done a detailed review to see that I am not mixing them up with someone else. That is going to have to wait till tomorrow.

Thanks for your input Christine
Night night
Lynda
Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 14 July 14 14:04 BST (UK) »
After ploughing through census records and potential death records I am now going with the most likely couple for Margaret Watson's parents as being William Watson born about 1791 in Ryle and Mary Hutchinson baptized 13 Nov 1791 in Felton. They married 1 Jun 1814 in Warkworth.

Locations in the censuses are: 1841 Hadston, 1851 Hepscott, 1861 Longhirst.

Children:
- Joseph 1816 Ulgham
- Margaret 1818 Ulgham
- Isabell 1820 Ulgham
- Mary 1824
- William 1826
- Elizabeth 1828 Felton
- John 1830
- Jane 1833 Preston

Mary Hutchinson's father was Joseph so that could tie in with son Joseph 1816. There are a couple of years between the marriage and his arrival so I may be missing an older child born before they got to Ulgham.

Thanks to all who have contributed to this thread. Will be happy to hear from you if you see any flaws in my deductions, but until proven otherwise I am going to track back from this William Watson & Mary Hutchinson.

Crackett, Cracket, Webb, Turner, Henderson, Murray, Carr, Stavers, Thornton, Oliver, Davis, Hall, Anderson, Atknin, Austin, Bainbridge, Beach, Bullman, Charlton, Chator, Corbett, Corsall, Coxon, Davis, Dinnin, Dow, Farside, Fitton, Garden, Geddes, Gowans, Harmsworth, Hedderweek, Heron, Hedley, Hunter, Ironside, Jameson, Johnson, Laidler, Leck, Mason, Miller, Milne, Nesbitt, Newton, Parkinson, Piery, Prudow, Reay, Reed, Read, Reid, Robinson, Ruddiman, Smith, Tait, Thompson, Watson, Wilson, Youn

Offline 2zpool

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 14 July 14 18:25 BST (UK) »
Baptisms at Ulgham where parents were William and Mary Watson:

Joseph baptised 1 Sep 1816, father a Hind, born Ulgham Grange

Margaret baptised 10 May 1818, father a Hind born Ulgham Grange

Isabella baptised 20 Feb 1820, father a Hind, born Fernybeds

My index goes to the 1880's so I don't think they returned for the rest of the children's baptisms
Co. Durham:  Hall, Snowdon, Makepeace, Barnfather, Barrass, Gray/Grey, Wilson, Carr, Cole, Richardson, Greener, Lamb
Northumberland:  Grey/Gray, Richardson, Barnfather, Heron, Redpath
------------------------------------------------------------------
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Craclyn

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 14 July 14 18:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks 2zpool. Those were the three I started with and Margaret was my 3rd great grandmother. What I have been trying to do with this thread was identify who her parents William and Mary were. In doing this I have drawn a subsequent conclusion that they were William Watson of Ryle and Mary Hutchinson of Felton, in which case they had more children (listed above) after the three in Ulgham. Since this couple married in 1814 in Warkworth I am also wondering if there may have been one before they moved to Ulgham. Of course I may be off on completely the wrong track, but at the moment this pair seems to be the best fit, although I started out more in favour of the Hartburn marriage to Mary Woodman.