Author Topic: elizabeth geary  (Read 5472 times)

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: elizabeth geary
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 May 14 23:43 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)tryed to find out about the lady she worked for as a servant couldnt find much on her Mar ann simpkin  age 78 had two  daus  Joanna  51 and  Alice 50  tryed on Google no luck .
ste

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 00:05 BST (UK) »
Hi Steve, still cannot fully understand why you are looking for a relative b c 1810 aged 22 in 1861?
 Mary Ann was married to a Benjamin Simpkin 70 occ Farmer 1019 acres employing 34 labourers b Thurmaston
Census ref for 1851 HO107/2091/344/14

Keyboard86
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 May 14 11:44 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)Hi when i whent on family search ,i saw that elizabeth was servant for  some one in melton  mowbray i tryed to find out who the person was ,but couldnt find out only this name  .so i came on here to find who the family was .as i didnt have this in my file to save .i have also found a elizabeth geary working for a cufflin family Ansty did go on their website turns out she was granddau but again couldnt find a email site to ask if this was our eliazabeth geary who married charles  cooper frame work knitter . im trying to find out as much as i can about her .we do have markfield books  and some one put in that  elizabeth was a gate keeper on field head markfield  leic steve

Offline Danone

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 28 July 14 18:14 BST (UK) »
 :) :) :)Hi keyboard
have had the two books on bradgate  park delivered to me on friday eveing  breakfast at bradgate  bradgate  was there  a village  called bradgate  by  D.A Ramsey. hes freind of mine he lives in groby  ant way on page four  the book talks about the village that was there  when lady jane grey was alive it was called broadgate ,this book  traces  the village  which  took the name  of  the broadgate  as its  own  name  and the  subseqent movement  of the villge  to two other locations  before  its demise  due  to  the dispersal of its  inhabitants .firstly  the broadgate village  is north  of the  broadgate  ,secondly  south  of the  broadgate  and thirdly  and  very  surprisingly ,the  villagres .or cottagers  move  close to markfield ,yet  remain  in the parish  of  Newtown linford .visible  traces  on the ground  at  the three locations  may still be found  although  the third  at field head  ,markfield  now  has  small estate  of houses  and bungalows built  on the  greater part of the former  settlement .the new  land  area chosen  for those  displaced  was  an enclosed  piece of land  further  away  on the south  side  of the  broadgate  which  had been  given  the name  cottars close ,or  cottiers close  ,in  more  recent  years  the name  has become  cottagers  close .thus  the  1st  village  or  dispersed  settlement  called  broadgate  was cleared of all dwellings .the village that was moved was the other  end of the park at cropston and moved up to field head  markfield  .the coach and horses  at markfield  field head  looks  directly  across the duel carriage way  towards  the  site  of the last  cottagers  close  at field head   cottagers  close  was in  reality  the removed  settlement  called broadgate ,its  position  still ensured  that  broadgate  as a settlement  remained  in  the parish  of Newtown linford .originally  field head  farm  and  part of a large hotel .the six  cottagers  closes leased by families  from  the broadgate  near cropston  lay just  south  of this farm  by 1650 the cottagers  and their families  had dispesed and  the close  returned  to farm land -13 acres  and 9  acres  of grassland .so elizabeth geary and her family would have gone to live in stanton under bardon .they had lived in the village in cropstone  so she would have met charles cooper  from moving .there is no sight of the village  any more  because  its under water ,but  when  drained  the village had been plouged away.
Danone