Author Topic: Check of the 1851 census please  (Read 2031 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Check of the 1851 census please
« on: Saturday 06 September 14 22:00 BST (UK) »
I am still looking for Anne Johnson's baptism, trying to find who her parents were and where in Leicestershire she was born.

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=649400.msg4959870#msg4959870

The IGI has Ann Johnson married Joseph Hames
5 Nov 1793 Leicester All Saints  and  5 Nov 1793  L'boro All Saints

Diddymiller checked the index for L'boro found no marriage so checked fiche found no marriage
willsy  found a marriage in Leicester All Saints  ( not sure where this was from, records/fiche/CD or ?)

Joseph was a Hosiery manufacturer, he died in 1818, Ann lived until 1852 she lived in  Princes St  Leicester in 1841 and 1851.
Could someone please check the 1851 to see where she puts as her birth place I think it just says Leicestershire which suggests to me outside not in the city

In deeds/records in relation to Anne and Joseph a Paget is mentioned, they are a  L'boro family who owned Nanpantan Hall which I have done some research on just to see if I could find any connection via work, other names, that showed connections to Johnsons and particularly Nathaniel Palmer Johnson who was a hosiery manufacturer he married Sarah Gold and they had a child baptised in All Saints  L'boro named Anne baptised in 1769, so circa the right time however she married Henry Spooner, so not her.

Joseph and Anne Hames baptised their children in St Martins Leicester, their 1st son Benjamin married at All Saints  L'boro ( but that could just be his wife's parish)  the 'girls' married at St Mary's Leicester or St James Birstall

Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Check of the 1851 census please
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 19:57 BST (UK) »
Hi  iluleah

I think it just says Leicester on the census return
Willsy

Ward, Newark (Nottingham), Leicester, Scarborough
Warren, Northampton, Leicester
Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Hurst, Leicester, Stowmarket
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire
Essex Edey/Eady Elsden/Elsdon

Census Transcriptions are Crown Copyright from National Archives

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 11 September 14 11:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Willsy not sure where I can go with her line without finding her baptism and proving it is her. There are so many connections to L'oro people, although of course they could be her husbands connections
There is a 22 May 1769 All Saints L'oro for an Ann Johnson

I have even resorted to looking at online trees, but with very little research on my part they are incorrect when comparing proved/cited records I already have of other people, so it doesn't give me any faith in what they have written about other people in the tree.

So any bright ideas would be welcome ;D
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston

Offline Bunnygirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Keep plodding on you Will find it!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 11 September 14 13:46 BST (UK) »
Hi
The marriage that you mentioned is on Leicester & Leicestershire Marriages CD 81 and it does state Leicester All Saints, both parties are of this parish.
So I've had a look at All Saints Leicester Baptisms 1575 - 1921 and there is this one;
Ann Johnson 26 Feb 1771 parents James & Ann Fiche D63 3, (that would make Ann 22 if it's her marriage)
There are various other children baptized to this couple if you are interested?
Do you have any idea of Ann's age when she died?
Regards
Bunnygirl
Leicestershire; Rothley,  Fowkes, Biddles, Dawson, Allen, Lambert, Tebbett, Needham , Horner, Cooper, Pagett, Jaques, Kinton, Newbald, Duffill    Halford, Cope, Bywater , Hunt
Bedfordshire; Cardington, Trueman, Wilstead  Bridges, Clark(e), Redman
Essex; Eady, Newman, Copsey, Rawlin, Gilders, Smith  
Rotherhithe; Henderson, Eady. Lambert
Rutland & Bedfordshire  Staffod, Glover, Tom(b)lin
Suffolk  (Wissington) Eady.
Lincolnshire, Tomlin

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 11 September 14 14:44 BST (UK) »
Thanks Bunnygirl
 I know the IGI has both Leicester and L'oro, and I am aware the IGI has many mistakes and is only a clue but I think it is also Phillmores Marriages have it as L'oro too..... so confusing......and ... not sure what it is, gut maybe, I keep getting pulled back to All Saints L'oro.

My head tells me it is Leicester and that the L'oro Hames  are from the same family purely as I can ties the Hames families with land owning, business and leisure in both places, the issue is that Johnsons of L'oro I can also tie in , in the same way, but Anne Johnson is/could be just someone from another family in Leicester using the same surname

Yes I would be very interested in any further children as it then gives me the opportunity to research them and see if I can tie them in via other records to 'my Anne'

In the 1841 she is 70yrs old living in princes st Leicester  in 1851 83yrs Princes St Leicester manufacturer's (wife) widow, so that gives me a circa birth date 1769-1771 she died in 3Q 1852 Leicester 7a 141 and also found probate in Dec of that year, so need to find out what I can about that to make sure it is her although I think it is( maybe a trip to the library and get onto ancestry) although not sure her Will will give me very much ( but you never know) maybe treat myself to one or two of the Hames Wills for my birthday next month ;D

Just noticed I do not have where she is buried nor Joseph who died in 1818 (date of  probate) so those are also something I need to research and find out

On many occasions I have written a question on here as I simply couldn't find or fathom what I was looking for and because people who help are not emotionally attached, they are often far better at sticking to the record proof.
Anne is special, she is my direct line so I am aware I am emotionally attached  and have been searching for so long

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 11 September 14 20:28 BST (UK) »
Silly me put it on the wrong thread

His will is online under

England & Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384-1858

names all his children and beloved Ann

Also wills for
Benjamin 1824
Mary 1849
Ann 1852

Wasn't sure how much you had, bit more info here, all marriages are from the CD
Leicester, St. Mary   26-Oct   1833   Lic   
Sophia   Hames   OTP      Spin     
Thomas   Brown   Shoreditch, Hoxton Square   MDX   Bach

Willsy

Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 11 September 14 21:19 BST (UK) »
Silly me put it on the wrong thread

His will is online under

England & Wales, Prerogative Court of Canterbury Wills, 1384-1858

names all his children and beloved Ann

Also wills for
Benjamin 1824
Mary 1849
Ann 1852

Thank you Willsy, so as Wills  now cost £10 each, I see at TNA they are £3.30 that is great news  ;D

Offline willsy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 11 September 14 21:21 BST (UK) »
Brilliant for you as Ann's is there :)
Willsy

Moore, Leicestershire
Hunt, Leicestershire
Kirkman, Leicestershire
Kendrick, Leicestershire
Eld, Leicestershire

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 11 September 14 21:39 BST (UK) »
Brilliant for you as Ann's is there :)

At least it ( hopefully) should give me more information
Joseph and Ann and then first son ( Benjamin) and his wife Mary and that line goes to Francis Hames who son was Francis John Hames so Benjamin & Mary's grandson who was the architect who designed the Town Hall and lion fountain