Author Topic: Beaton / Bethune - Kilmuir, Skye  (Read 21860 times)

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
Beaton / Bethune - Kilmuir, Skye
« on: Tuesday 30 August 11 13:53 BST (UK) »
I'm interested in anyone with Beaton / Bethune connections in the Kilmuir district of Skye. My particular Beatons resided in the Bornaskitag area. In the 1841 Census, I have Donald Beaton, Lotter, Aged 70 and his wife Catherine (Nee McKenzie). I am descended from their son Peter Beaton born circa 1818 and his wife Peggy Gillies, also of Bornaskitag. I've trawled through the 1841 and 1851 Censuses for Kilmuir and there are only a few other Beatons in the area, so they are probably related.

In 1841
Jonathan Beaton, Lotter, Aged 60 and his wife Janet, also at Bornaskitag. Had a son and 2 daughters.

Neil Bethune, Aged 45 at Knockows (Not sure where this is) and his wife Marion. In 1851 he's at Cnocholb (again location uncertain). Large family.

Norman Bethune, Aged 35 at Hunglatter with wife Catherine (MacDonald) and several children. Norman and his family emigrated to Australia in 1853 aboard the Hercules. His parents are named as Duncan Bethune and Isabella. Descendants still lving there.

Ideally I would like to link this group together. Coincidentally I am also related to Fergusons and MacDonalds from North Uist who emigrated on the Hercules. They then proceeded to populate half of Australia...  ;)

I look forward to any reponse,

Graham
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline Helen

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Beaton / Bethune - Kilmuir, Skye
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 April 12 04:20 BST (UK) »
My g.g.g.grandmother was Ann Beaton/Bethune.  She was born abt. 1780 in Sleat.
Her parents were Malcolm Beaton/Bethune & Effy MacLean. She married Malcolm McLure, and their son Farquhar McLure set sail for Australia on board the Hercules in 1854. As part of the Highland clearances from Laird McDonalds estate. However after small-pox broke out and the Hercules was diverted to Queenstown, 305 of its passengers were boarded on other ships.  Farquhar, his wife, and family set sail on the Argyle.
Scotland: Cuthbertson, Mochan, Stewart, Murray, McLure, Lynch.  England: Maughan, Porter, Johnston, Dale

Offline gilric

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 26 May 12 05:07 BST (UK) »
Hello Graham,

I know this is a late reply to your query, but I have only just returned to looking at my Bethune/Beaton family.  One of the families you were interested in your query 30-8-2011, was Norman Bethune and wife Catherine McDonald and family who immigrated to Australia in 1853.  Their oldest son Lachlan married a Christina Bethune in 1854 in Melbourne, Victoria.  Christina is my Gt gt aunt and family lore was that Lachlan and Christina were cousins, but this has not been proven.   If you are still interested in this family  please reply.

Gillian Day nee Bethune, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia.

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 26 May 12 08:40 BST (UK) »
Hi Gillian,

I am still interested in this family and particularly so if you can tie them back into any of the other Bethune families on Skye. I'm sure that some of them will link together its just a case of whether there is recorded information that can bridge the distance in time.

I actually have a book about the Hercules which was sent to me by a distant relative in Australia, as I had family in North Uist who were aboard. I would imagine a large swathe of the Australian population must have had an ancestor who was on the Hercules!

Graham
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID

Offline weemary

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 26 May 12 09:10 BST (UK) »
My Beaton/Bethune's are originally from Skye -  however I am stuck on the Black Isle with my lot -  they farmed at Gateside Farm for generations in Knockbain Munlochy
Beaton Bethune, Campbell -  ROC
Mitchell Leslie - Aberdeen
Mackintosh, Anderson (Provost) -  Inverness
Boyle, Mckechnie, McPhail, Fulton  - Ireland, Greenock, Kilbrachan
Pearce, Curnoe/Curnow -  Cornwall
Patterson, Robson, Sloan, Campbell, Dixon, Wilson, Ritson, Hedley, Vipond, Coulson -  South Shields, Sunderland, Northumberland, Cumberland
Kitcheham/Kitchingham, Gage -  Kent

Offline gilric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 26 May 12 12:22 BST (UK) »
Hi Graham,

Firstly thank you for answering my e-mail, it is appreciated.
Sorry but I have not managed to connect Norman/Catherine back to anyone at Skye, Norman husband of Catherine's Australian death certificate states his father was Duncan and Mother Isabella.
My own line, which is believed to be connected to Norman and Catherine,  is another Norman Bethune who married a Sarah (Marion) McLeod, but as this Norman seems to have died between the 1841 and 1851 Census, I have no idea who his parents were.  Sarah died as Sarah Beaton, father as John McLeod (Or McDonnell, but I think was just an error by a son) and Sarah McLean.  This family was listed in 1841 and 1851 as follows.

Piece: SCT1841/117 Place: Snizort -Inverness-shire Enumeration District: 1   1841 Census
Civil Parish: Snizort Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: -
Folio: 1 Page: 16
Address: N Cuil
Surname First name(s) Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
BEATON Normd M 55 Farmer Inverness-shire
BEATON Marion F 40 Inverness-shire
BEATON Peter M 15 Inverness-shire  (Believed not to be a son, but a nephew who also immigrated to Australia)
BEATON Murdo M 14 Inverness-shire
BEATON Ann F 16 Inverness-shire
BEATON Christy F 12 Inverness-shire   *******
BEATON Ann F 5 Inverness-shire
BEATON Roderick M 6m Inverness-shire

In 1851
Piece: SCT1851/117 Place: Snizort -Inverness-shire Enumeration District: 1  Census 1851
Folio: 87 Page: 20 Schedule: 64
Address: Uig
Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
BEATON Marion Head W F 52 House Holder Inverness-shire - Kilmuir
BEATON Anne Dau U F 24 General Servant Inverness-shire - Snizort
BEATON Murdo Son U M 22 General Labourer Inverness-shire - Snizort
BEATON Anne Dau - F 13 Inverness-shire - Snizort
BEATON Rodrick Son - M 9 Scholar Inverness-shire - Snizort

Piece: SCT1851/117 Place: Snizort -Inverness-shire Enumeration District: 1  The Next door listing has Christy
Folio: 87 Page: 19 Schedule: 63
Address: Uig
Surname First name(s) Rel Status Sex Age Occupation Where Born Remarks
MCDONALD Flora Head W F 48 Hsehldr Lady Occ Farm 5 Acres Morayshire - Elgin
MCDONALD Mary B Dau - F 8 Scholar Inverness-shire - Kilmuir
MCCASKILL Jessie Cousin U F 63 Annuiatant Inverness-shire - Bracadale
MCKINNON Lachlan Nephew U M 22 Scholar Visitor Inverness-shire - Small Isles
MCKAY Chirsty Visitr U F 48 General Servant Inverness-shire - Kilmuir   (This is the daughter shown in 1841) ********
ROSS Catherine Servnt U F 19 House Servant Inverness-shire - Duirinish
BEATON Chirsty Servnt U F 19 House Servant Inverness-shire - Snizort
MUNRO Alexr Servnt U M 17 General Servant Man Inverness-shire - Duirinish

Marion or Sarah and her children travelled on the Priscilla.

I doubt if I can be of any further assistance with information back on Skye, but if you can think of any way I would be happy to try and provide any information.

Cheers from down under,

Gillian Day

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 26 May 12 18:21 BST (UK) »
Well, here's mine in 1841 and 1851:

Donald Bethune and Catherine MacKenzie (daughter of Donald MacKenzie and Christy Ross)

1841 Census - Bornaskitag, Kilmuir, Skye.
Surname   First name(s)   Sex   Age   Occupation   Where Born   Remarks   
BETHUNE   Donald   M   70   Lotter    Inverness-shire       
BETHUNE   Cathrine   F   50       Inverness-shire       
BETHUNE   Peter   M   20       Inverness-shire       
BETHUNE   Margt   F   20       Inverness-shire       
BETHUNE   Isabell   F   20       Inverness-shire       
BETHUNE   Donald   M   4       Inverness-shire       
BETHUNE   Janet   F   6m       Inverness-shire

Peter (from above) and Margaret Gilles (daughter of Archibald Gillies and Catherine?)

1851 Census - Bornaskittag, Kilmuir, Skye.
Surname   First name(s)   Rel   Status   Sex   Age   Occupation   Where Born   Remarks   
BEATON   Peter   Head   M   M   34   Farmer 4 Acres Emp 0 Servants    Inverness-shire - Kilmuir       
BEATON   Catharine   Mother   W   F   63       Inverness-shire - Kilmuir       
BEATON   Margaret   Wife   M   F   34   Farmer's Wife    Inverness-shire - Kilmuir       
BEATON   Jane   Dau   U   F   10   Scholar    Inverness-shire - Kilmuir       
BEATON   Donald   Son   -   M   8   Scholar    Inverness-shire - Kilmuir       
BEATON   Archd   Son   -   M   6   Scholar    Inverness-shire - Kilmuir       
BEATON   Marion   Dau   -   F   4       Inverness-shire - Kilmuir       
BEATON   Mary   Dau   -   F   1       Inverness-shire - Kilmuir

It would be nice to think that this is true and I note the name Peter Bethune mentioned in connection with Skye:

http://bethunec.tripod.com/origbethune1.htm
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE

Offline gilric

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 May 12 02:59 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the 1841-1851 Census entries for your family, I will add it to my always growing Bethune files.  For quite a number of years I had contact with the Clifford Bethune, the owner of the website in your last message.  Cliff was a direct descendant of Lachlan and Christy Bethune. Lachlan was the eldest son of Norman and Catherine (McDonald) Bethune, and his wife Christy was the son of my Norman and Sarah (McLeod) Bethune.  Unfortunately, Cliff apparently moved and I have not had any further contact with.  He was an avid researcher, so it surprises me that he had not turned up again.

Cheers,

Gillian

Offline melsimba66

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 06 September 12 06:54 BST (UK) »
Hello,
  I have an Alexander John Beaton (Tough) born in Aberdeen 1898 ,  he was an illegitimate  child of Bathia Bannerman and Alexander Beaton  (mason journeman)  address was 25 Richmond Terrace Aberdeen . quite quickly he married another girl and Bathia married George Tough who renamed the child Alex Tough , then the whole family moved to BC Canada (Chilliwack )  . Bathia was working as a domestic servant in Longside  at the time of Alexanders birth .  I hope you can use some of this information for your research .   
                                                                               Thank you    Melanie