Author Topic: Sad nanny :(  (Read 16878 times)

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Sad nanny :(
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 26 June 14 11:56 BST (UK) »
Thank u , I have always believed everything she has told me but since speaking on here there seems a lot more to it :) so I'm expecting a fair few surprises

You've no reason not to believe her, that is probably what she was told and so she believes it herself. Back when she was born things were very different and the truth was often covered up.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Aimee86

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Thursday 26 June 14 11:59 BST (UK) »
The one issued to adopted children  as there is no record of her anywhere .
Nope I don't I just hope it's not a shock to her when she finds out . She did tell me on Sunday she had a photo of her mum she was given but it's been lost surely she would of known if that was her mum or aunty .

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Thursday 26 June 14 12:06 BST (UK) »
The one issued to adopted children  as there is no record of her anywhere .

Unfortunately these certificates were issued with a view to obscuring the child's origins.  Every Irish adoptee was said to have been born in Dublin with postcode NC2 or NC4 - regardless of where in Ireland the child had in fact been born.  The "mother"'s name will be that of the adoptive mother and cannot be relied upon as telling you anything about the birth mother.

There may be something to help you here: www.adoptionrightsalliance.com
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Aimee86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Thursday 26 June 14 12:11 BST (UK) »
So that answers y the two names were the same I guess :( I will have a read thru that now . So is there any other way I can trace it

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Thursday 26 June 14 12:13 BST (UK) »
So that answers y the two names were the same I guess :( I will have a read thru that now . So is there any other way I can trace it

Maybe have a look at these tracing guides from the site which I linked to:

www.adoptionrightsalliance.com/tracinghandbooks.htm
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Thursday 26 June 14 12:14 BST (UK) »
It might be worth writing to the local newspaper and outlining your search....It's such a touching story that would strike a chord with people who have been in the same situation..I have known families come together in this way. You never know what might come of it.

Good Luck!

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Aimee86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Thursday 26 June 14 12:17 BST (UK) »
Just had a quick scan thru first one and there is an address with a sample letter I can send off wow seems we might no something at least my only worry is if they don't ave a birth certificate when she was born how will they trace her . Also my nan seems to think she was given to her aunty at a hospital (would this be untrue aswell ) was they just handed over at the convent

Offline Aimee86

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Thursday 26 June 14 12:20 BST (UK) »
I didn't think of that , would I just email or ring the local paper over there . . It's such a sad story as I'm only 28 and my nanny tells me every time I see her about this . I no we are her family and she don't need anyone else cos she is our world but it would be nice for her to have closure after 80 odd yrs off not knowing

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 26 June 14 12:21 BST (UK) »
Also my nan seems to think she was given to her aunty at a hospital (would this be untrue aswell ) was they just handed over at the convent

Many were just handed over at the convent.  I would not place too much reliance on the claims that the person she was given to was her "aunty", or that her birth mother had died.

Have you seen the recent film Philomena or read the book on which it is based? Very much on this subject, though in Philomena's case the adoptive parents were American.