Author Topic: James PITCHER and wife Martha, Carlton Colville  (Read 4842 times)

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
James PITCHER and wife Martha, Carlton Colville
« on: Friday 05 September 14 08:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks for help with children of this couple, so I'm hoping for some info re these two.

James PITCHER, according to all census entries was born abt 1808 in Carlton Colville; I have good info from 1841 on.

James wife is Martha, also b abt 1811, Carlton Colville.

They were in Carlton Colville in 1841, 1851, 1861, 1871, 1881 (indexed as Richter), 1891; both dying 1897.  Martha is apparently buried at Carlton but I'm not sure about James.

Baptism, parent or marriage details would be gratefully received. 

Judith

DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

UK Census information Crown Copyrightt, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: James PITCHER and wife Martha, Carlton Colville
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 September 14 10:49 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith,

Martha is apparently buried at Carlton but I'm not sure about James.
In the Suffolk Burial Index (ex SFHS) James is listed as being buried;
13-5-1897 aged 90 in Carlton Colville, St.Peter

I know you haven't asked for them, but there are several entries for "Pitchers" in Carton Colville
mainly in the mid 1800s

Alan
Browse, Peggs, Revans/Revance/Ribbans, Spall,   in Suffolk/Norfolk
Belcher, Elderfield, Froude, Saunders,  Stimson, Tame,   in Berks
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 September 14 14:58 BST (UK) »
Oh great -thanks, Alan.  i couldn't imagine that James would have been buried anywhere else given that every record I've seen about him has him at Carlton Colville. Martha's burial is listed on Ancestry but James isn't.

I think I have a fair bit on the various PITCHERs, siblings etc in the 1800s.  The marriage for James and Martha isn't among the ones you have by any chance?  The first child I have for them is Harriett, b 1831, so I'm thinking the marriage might be about that time?

Cheers, Judith
DYER - Wilts, London, Somerset, MIDLANE - Hants, Wilts, SONE - Hants, WRIGHT - London, Hants, SEAGER - Deptford, DWYER, FERGUSON - Victoria, MASON - Woodford Vic, BALLARD - South Wales, GOULDBY - Lowestoft
"Time present and time past are both perhaps present in time future..." T S Eliot

Offline amber39

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 September 14 15:56 BST (UK) »
There is a James Pitcher marriage to a Martha King in Carlton Colville on the Ist January 1928.

This makes him rather a young bridegroom  !!!

Regards    Amber39
Norfolk: Copling,Coppen ,Oakley, Vertigans, Cracknell
Suffolk:  Grist, Scopes, Bullenthorpe. Knights,Watcham
Cambs.: Wilson, Andrews.
London: Monk

We must learn to regard people less in the light of what they do or omit to do, but more in the light of what they suffer.  Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 September 14 23:08 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith,

I don't have any info on his marriage, other than that Amber39 has listed, but if you go to the following address, his baptism is listed, on the IGI (FamilySearch), as 29-3-1807. This would make him about 21 in 1828;

https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/J92S-JH6

Alan
Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 06 September 14 09:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Amber 39 and Ribbo39

The marriage, 1828,  looks right for James and Martha, although that leaves a bit of a gap to the first child.  Possibly a child or two may have died before Harriett was born.

I am finding the 'new' IGI really difficult to operate - I had put in the details that I already had and no sign of that baptism for James on the list that came up.  However, using your link ribbo39 there it is.   >:(  In the olden days you put your info in and a nice neat list came up.  Hey-ho - progress!!

And look, here's Martha's baptism also  :o  ::)
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/27CG-1RQ
Baptised 1810 - parents: Richard KING and Martha - even an image for this baptism.  :) ;D

Hooray, there are also images for Martha/James marriage.

Many, many thanks!!  Judith

Offline ribbo39

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 06 September 14 11:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith,

Pleased it has worked out for you. I must admit I had not seen the image icon to the right of the screen until I tried your link.
What I have found is that if you click on the "batch no" a fresh page will open then I just enter the surname and it opens to all with that name in the parish. I further refined it by just putting in a father's name and checking the little box  beside the name and up came 5 children with parents James & Martha;
Shrunken link here;
http://www.rootschat.com/links/019x1/
I couldn't find any bapts. earlier.

Alan

Artis, Gray in Norfolk

Offline judb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 06 September 14 14:35 BST (UK) »
Live and learn, ribbo  ;)  As I said, I still find FamilySearch VERY frustrating compared to the older version.

I have 4 children for James and Martha, so I'm pleased to see the entry for Jane, baptised 1834.
Harriett PITCHER b 1831 –
Joseph PITCHER 1837 –
John PITCHER 1840 – 1921
Julia PITCHER 1843

Harriett does not show on the FS search but she was described as aged 20 and the daughter of James and Martha in 1851,  In 1841 she seems to be with her grandparents, Richard and Martha KING, while her parents and other siblings are listed together.  There is also an Emma PITCHER, aged 8, listed with them, so probably another child

It's interesting to note that these children are quite spaced out in age compared to some other families of the same era, so perhaps there's some others who are not recorded anywhere.

Once again - many thanks.  I've certainly learnt more about FamilySearch which should help in looking for some other folk as well.

Judith

Offline Frances Trickett

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 03 April 15 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Judith
Have just joined Rootschat. I am a descendant of Harriett Pitcher , James and Martha's daughter. Bit of a mystery surrounding the marriage of Harriett to Charles Moore , cannot trace it at all. Charles must have died ( death entry also not traced ) and Harriet subsequently married a George Levett. Have more info if you would like it. I think Charles Moore was a ships engineer so he may have perished at sea.