Author Topic: Johnstons from Easky (and elsewhere)  (Read 2592 times)

Offline sljohnston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Johnstons from Easky (and elsewhere)
« on: Wednesday 03 December 14 19:51 GMT (UK) »
Hi All

Hope I can get some help if there are other Johnstons on this forum :) Having a hard time piecing some info together about my Johnston ancestors in Sligo. I've confirmed that my GG grandfather William (b. 1834) and his brother Thomas (b. 1831) were from Fortland townland in Easky parish. On their birth certificates their father's name is John and mother's name is Mary (last name possibly West). One of my relatives has indicated that John was born about 1807 to Thomas Johnston (b about 1765) and Ann Shaw (b about 1770). John had the following siblings:

Jane (Jenny) b 1799
Eliza (Betty) b 1801
Margaret (b 1803)
Mary (b 1805)
John (b 1807, my GGG grandfather?)
James (b 1809)
Thomas (b 1811)
Andrew (b 1813)

Andrew is the only person that there is information on. He settled in Ontario (Rosemount) which is fairly near to where my GG grandfather William and his brother Thomas settled. I'm pretty confident this is their uncle. Also, the records seem to indicate that one of Andrew's sons was a witness at William's wedding.

I've found very little information about my direct line - a few mentions in the tithe books and Griffiths for a John Johnston. I've also discovered that William and Thomas had a brother John (b. 1836). I'm also wondering if they had a sister Jane, but I can't corroborated. I can't find any information on John apart from his birth certificate.

What I have found is a fair bit of information on some Johnstons in a nearby townland (Rathlee). I don't know if or how they are connected to my direct line.

I suppose what I'm looking for is any information on any Johnstons in Easky parish or elsewhere in Sligo that might be connected to Thomas and Ann Shaw's children.

Offline sljohnston

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Johnstons from Easky (and elsewhere)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 December 14 15:06 GMT (UK) »
Last name for Mary is West. I found some marriage info for Mary and John, they were married in 1827.