Author Topic: Parish Church, Liverpool  (Read 6894 times)

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Parish Church, Liverpool
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 13 July 14 21:36 BST (UK) »
I don't know if you looked up the location Arkwright Street (off Great Homer Street) in the Everton district of Liverpool is shown on this map:-

http://www.liverpoolhistoryprojects.co.uk/liverpoolaz/km79.htm

I've included below the top part of one of my records from St Peter's, Liverpool I presume your one is similar to this one?

Blue

Offline chappers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 14 July 14 15:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Blue 70

Thanks for your message.  The heading at the top of the 1858 marriage certificate you attached is exactly the same wording as on the one I have for my ancestor so this shows without a doubt that the church was St Peters, sadly now demolished.  I had not previously looked for Arkwright Street but found it on your map.  By coincidence I see there is a church called St Peter's just nearby.  I found the first of my ancestor's children was born at no 59 Arkwright Street and the second one at no. 63.  I'm hoping this street is still quite residential so I can have a walk down it some time and find roughly where they lived.

Thanks again for all your kind help which has been very much appreciated and pinpoints the areas  to visit on my family search.  I've been to Liverpool on several occasions and it will be very useful to have the maps next time I go.

Regards
Carol

Orr, Withers, Allingham

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 14 July 14 17:32 BST (UK) »
I'm afraid Arkwright Street was demolished along with a lot of the north end of the city. The street on modern maps is now partly in Everton Park with some new build houses at the top end. If you look at this link it shows the location of the new build houses on what is still called Arkwright Street:-

http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=335348,392122

Ken Rogers has written two books about this area "Lost Tribes of Everton and Scottie Road" and "Lost Tribe: The People's Memories" The Everton district was well known for a sectarian fault line that ran through it usually identified as Great Homer Street but sometimes identified as Scotland Road. Catholics tended to live to the west of Great Homer Street and Protestants to the east of Great Homer Street. Netherfield Road at the top of Arkwright Street still has an annual Orange Parade but on a much smaller scale than the old days due to the depopulation of the area. 

St Peter's Everton was also demolished! My Dad was baptised there. It was bombed in WW2 and although my Nan reckoned there wasn't much damage it was demolished. There's a new build church of the same name that replaced it. The old church was in Sackville Street the new one is in Langrove Street. The church coincidently has Corbett connections:-

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/liverpool-education-chief-jane-corbett-3355745

Blue

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 14 July 14 20:34 BST (UK) »
Here's a photo taken from Great Homer Street in 1955 showing the bottom of Arkwright Street to the left of the bakers shop.

Blue

Offline chappers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 20:41 BST (UK) »
Hello Blue

I was very interested to receive the information you sent about Arkwright Street.  It would seem the houses my ancestors lived at will not be there now.  Places do change over time but it was kind of you to send the photo of the street which gives a good idea of what it looked like and to explain about the sectarian 'divide'.  It's a shame that the old St Peters Everton was also demolished.  I looked at the link for the new church.  I'm amazed at the coincidence of the Corbett name with the church and that a Jane Corbett is Education Chief of Liverpool!  I noticed from the news article that she is the wife of the Rev Henry Corbett of St Peters.  It's all quite a coincidence ...perhaps there's a link somewhere. I think Corbett is a Scottish/N. Irish name originally.  I have found quite a few Corbett people in my family tree - be great to find a link with Henry but it's a bit of a long shot I suppose.

I am extremely grateful to you for all the helpful information you've sent in response to my original query, together with maps and photos, which make family history research so much more interesting.  I shall definitely be visiting Liverpool again in this regard.  (the last time I was there was to see the regenerated White Star Line offices into a hotel, which was very impressive)

Many thanks again
Carol 

Orr, Withers, Allingham

Offline Blue70

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol

Rev Henry "Harry" Corbett has connections with Malta:-

http://toffeeweb.com/season/08-09/comment/fan/article.asp?submissionID=10231#corbett

Blue

Offline chappers

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 16 July 14 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hello Blue

That's interesting about Henry Corbett originating in Malta - it's probably unlikely he will be related to any of the Corbetts I've come across in my family but, you never know..  He is quite a football fan

Regards
Carol
Orr, Withers, Allingham