Author Topic: Matilda Richardson - Went missing in Liverpool in 1869  (Read 4069 times)

Offline steve246

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Matilda Richardson - Went missing in Liverpool in 1869
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 09:37 BST (UK) »
Yes,
Hi,
As Heywood says the family was all there in Liverpool, at the same address as the newspaper article, in the 1871 census....except for Matilda who would have been eleven.  The family returned to Belfast in about 1872 and William Henry worked for the Belfast Newsletter there until he died in 1891. By the time of the 1901 census Matilda would have been 31 and wasn't with her step-mother (Matilda's mother died in 1864 - the children in the 1871 Liverpool census born in Ireland are from William Henry's first marriage to Matilda Wallace).  I guess she could have been sent back to Ireland early but I can't find a marriage or death registration for her down the track.....she seems to have vanished.

Offline steve246

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 09:40 BST (UK) »
Yes, I find it very sad but I guess it's happening all the time.   Apparently the school is still there in Liverpool......I've seen it on "Google Street View".  An old run down building in amongst all the car parks and new buildings.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 09:43 BST (UK) »
You would have thought that there would have been some further coverage in the newspapers given the social standing of the family.
Are there any family wills/ weddings etc where she may have been mentioned had she survived?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline steve246

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 09:48 BST (UK) »
I was also surprised that there wasn't some follow up story in the newspapers.  The original story appeared in several papers including in Ireland, over a period of a few days.  But nothing after the original story.

No, I haven't come across any wills etc.  Basically I'm just working from what I've found online.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 09:58 BST (UK) »
Just an aside, but may affect your searching. In 1901, Matilda would have been more like 40 yrs old rather than 31 as you said. It would have been about 31 yrs since she went missing.
I think that would be the case  :)

Offline steve246

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 10:15 BST (UK) »
Woops, my maths on fly just then were fairly abysmal...yes 41  :-)  ....even less reason to be living at home in Belfast.  There was one death registration in Ireland that fitted her perfectly but it turned out to be someone else.

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 10:23 BST (UK) »
Probably just that 1869 is stuck in your head  :)

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 15 July 14 17:51 BST (UK) »
http://www.old-merseytimes.co.uk/

Old Mersey Times will do a free search for you if you e mail them ...worth a try ..
oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline steve246

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Thursday 17 July 14 23:38 BST (UK) »
If anyone is interested, as recommended by garstonite I contacted Old Mersey Times.  Jane found the following article in the Liverpool Daily Post, four days after the original article:

"In the Daily Post of Monday last there appeared a paragraph stating that a girl nine years of age, named Matilda Richardson, the daughter of a compositor in this establishment, who resides at 55, Minto-street, Kensington, had not been seen by any of her friends after she left St. Jude’s School, Low Hill, on the previous Wednesday afternoon.  The girl is still missing, nor has any clue been obtained as to what has become of her.  Her age precludes the idea that she may have been taken away and detained for any worse purpose than that of begging or contributing in some other way to the interest of vagabond life.  In the hope that some information may be obtained which may lead to her discovery, we repeat the description of her.  She is rather tall for her age, and is light complexioned.  When she left school she had on a brown straw hat, a black and white dress, a light-coloured jacket and laced-up boots."

No other evidence of her in England or Ireland can be found.