Author Topic: Veitch's of Dumfrieshire  (Read 2008 times)

Offline JONTYA1

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Veitch's of Dumfrieshire
« on: Friday 06 May 11 16:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Everyone
Looking for info on Robert Veitch, born Dumfries in 1831, the son of John Veitch and Elizabeth Currie.
In 1862 he married Agnes Findlay
Robert not found on the 1841 or 51 Census
Had a sister Agnes born c 1829 ish in Rothwell but could be Ruthwell, also not found on the 1841 or 51 Census
On the 1861 he is found working as a ploughman on a farm in Loudoun.

Looking for any early information on the family, sometimes two pairs of eyes are better than one
Best regards
cjay
Findlay- Barr- Youngman- Sleight- Stothard- Gregg,-Wilson- Cochran, Cameron- Dykes- Fairservice- Riddel- Hamilton- Gibson- Leggate- Lusk- Marshall- McCrae- Millar- Moore- Morton- Naismith- Ramage- Richmond- Shields- Smith,- Veitch

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Veitch's of Dumfrieshire
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 May 11 19:02 BST (UK) »
Hi cjay

There is one further possible sibling showing on IGI to your Robert:

Henry Duncan Veitch, b. 17 Jan. 1827 Canongate Edinburgh. Parents as you have.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 May 11 19:11 BST (UK) »
There is a possible entry for Agnes in 1851:

Agnes Veitch, 21, b. Dumfries - domestic servant at the Burns household at 73 Pleasance, Edinburgh.

Monica

Offline JONTYA1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 May 11 06:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica
Thanks for the information, yes I would say that Agnes is already the one I have on the Veitch family tree, and Henry Duncan a brother and a new name on the Veitch family tree.
But I don't seem to be able to find any marriage for their parents, I wonder if Elizabeth Currie died and John remarried.  as the birth year  for the children only spans 5 years.
If I could only find them on the 1841 or 51 Census it might answer some questions
cjay
Findlay- Barr- Youngman- Sleight- Stothard- Gregg,-Wilson- Cochran, Cameron- Dykes- Fairservice- Riddel- Hamilton- Gibson- Leggate- Lusk- Marshall- McCrae- Millar- Moore- Morton- Naismith- Ramage- Richmond- Shields- Smith,- Veitch

Offline JONTYA1

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Veitch's of Dumfrieshire COMPLETED
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 08 June 11 20:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks

Offline kennyparker

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hey Cjay,

I’ve struggled finding out more about the Veitch’s for a long time. At first I only knew of Robert Veitch who married Agnes Cameron Findlay in 1862, and died in 1897, at 21 South Norton Place, Edinburgh.

But Robert’s death certificate told me his parents were Elizabeth Currie, and John Veitch, printer.

Recently, DNA matches on ancestry.com, have shown me that Elizabeth’s grandparents were Peter Currie and Agnes Archibald. (As I am matched with a few people whose line is traced to the other siblings of Peter & Agnes).

Finding out more about John Veitch, printer has been a real struggle though.

Monica is right in pointing out the O.P.R. shows that there was a John Veitch, printer of Abbeyhill, Edinburgh, married to Elizabeth Currie, who had a child named Henry Duncan on 24 Nov 1826.

This is the earliest record I have ever ‘confirmed’ of John Veitch, printer.

So the fact that it seems his next son (our) Robert Veitch, was seemingly born in Dumfries, on 12 Mar 1831, confused me for so long! Edinburgh and Dumfries are so far apart, it didn’t really make sense!

This all changed when I found a thesis on Scotland’s regional print economy in the nineteenth century, written by Helen Sarah Williams. She explained printers passed through Dumfries for work, as printers often moved between printing centres.

One of the examples she gives to illustrate her point, is from the minutes of the Dumfries Typographical Union, which states: ‘John Veitch, Card granted June 17, 1833. Left his employment 11 June 1833.’

This made me realise John probably moved to Dumfries from Edinburgh to work, and he probably moved elsewhere again in the second half of 1833.

As a matter of interest, I think I have found the details of one piece of work John published during his time in Dumfries. A pamphlet, listing the catalogue of the Edinburgh Subscription Library, in 1842, lists: ‘The selector, or cabinet of literary extracts. John Veitch, Dumfries, 1833.’

Finding out where John went next, was incredibly difficult. There just didn’t seem to be any other records of him.

However, I eventually found him, with his name misspelled as John Vicht, printer, in the burial record of his wife Elizabeth Currie. She died on 8 September 1839, in Glasgow. John’s address at the time was Shuttle Street.

This is the last record I have ever found of John.

And for the longest time the next record I could find of his son Robert Veitch, was the 1871 census, showing him as a ploughman for the Allison Family, at Fulpaple, Loudoun, Ayrshire.

For so long, this didn’t ring true. Like how could the son of a printer in Dumfries and Glasgow, end up as a farm servant in Ayrshire!?

I was determined to find Robert in an earlier census to try understand why his life had taken the turn it had.

I eventually found Robert in the 1841 census. He was living with a Robert Veitch, farmer, at Kirk Bourn, Traquair, Peeblesshire. (I have assumed this was his uncle).

I suspect this means John died around the same time as Elizabeth Currie. It may also explain where and why Robert got into farm work.

The census also shows he is living with 3 siblings, who I had not known about until I found this record. They were Agnes, William and Jean.

I have found the death certificates for both Jean (d. 1866) and Agnes (d. 1895). Both name their parents as John Veitch, a printer, and Elizabeth Currie.

Agnes’s record is also witnessed by Robert Veitch (Jnr), Nephew (21 South Norton Place). While the Inventory at her death also confirms Robert Veitch (Snr) is her only brother.

Jane’s record is witnessed by, Robert Veitch, brother, 85 Abbeyhill, Edinburgh.

I hope you find all this information helps. I still have a lot to figure out. For example, I have yet to find out what happened to Robert’s brother William - the 1841 census is the only record I have.

Likewise I would like to find out more about the man I believe was John Veitch’s brother, Robert Veitch, Farmer. For example, can I confirm they were brothers, and find the names of their parents.

I’m also hoping it might be possible to find out more about John’s life at work in the minutes of more typographical minutes.

Best,

Kenny.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 20:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Kenny

So this will be Robert and wife Catherine in 1851 from what you mention www.freecen.org.uk/search_records/5903d622e9379091b1f530ab/jane-veitch-1851-midlothian-liberton-1839-?locale=en

Son John's christening here www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:X1BK-YMR to let you confirm mother's maiden name.

Keeping things simple, young Jane from 1841 is showing as their daughter on this 1851 entry.

From the 1841 census which you found

Robert Vatch 50 farmer
Catherine Vatch 36 b. Scotland
Robert Vatch 11b. Scotland
Agness Vatch 13 b. Scotland
William Vatch 6 b. Scotland
Jean Vatch 4 b. Scotland
William Brown 18
Agness Wilson 13
Ann Murray 18

Address: Kirk Bourn, Traquair Peebles

Catherine Murray and Robert Veitch look to have married/banns on 14 Sep 1827 in Stobo, Peebles. They also show in the OPRs as having had an Agnes (4 March 1828 in Stobo) and a Janet (3 October 1830 in Traquhair). Could they have died young. You have been able to confirm through their death regs Agnes and Jane as children of John and Elizabeth.

Big question is whether Robert Snr made it past 1855 to let you confirm his parents' details on his death registration.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 20:37 GMT (UK) »
A family researcher on A/try has a tree for this line (you need a subs to view it  :-\ but adding in case you do) www.ancestry.co.uk/family-tree/person/tree/4060418/person/122225170375/facts

They have included the original image of Robert's death in 1859 in Liberton. Death reported by his son Andrew.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 24 November 20 20:58 GMT (UK) »
A possible marriage/banns showing for parents Robert Veitch and Jane Thomson in the OPRs on 1 June 1781 in Peebles. Fits well with the dates we are seeing.

Monica