Author Topic: SCOTT- HOWAT(SON) - Johnstonebridge & Surrounding Areas  (Read 2251 times)

Offline A.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
SCOTT- HOWAT(SON) - Johnstonebridge & Surrounding Areas
« on: Sunday 19 June 11 20:05 BST (UK) »
This is the research I have:

Samuel Scott [Jr], born in 1833 in Johnstone, Dumfriesshire.  His parents were Samuel Scott [Sr] and Agnes Porteous.  Samuel Scott [Sr] was born in abt. 1799 and his parents, Andrew Scott and Margaret Howat[son] 'acknowledged an irregular marriage before the Session' on January 2, 1803, at Caerlaverock.

Margaret Howatson (Scott) died at Redhall, 79 yrs, on November 7, 1857.  She was buried with her spouse, Andrew Scott, at Johnstone Kirkyard.  Andrew Scott died at Corncockle, 73 yrs, on April 23, 1851.  They are buried with their daughter, Sophia Scott, who died at Chapelhill, 3 yrs, on February 19, 1827.

The 1841 census of Corncockle shows:  Andrew Scott, age 60, Margaret, age 60, with Mary Scott, age 30, Marion, age 25, Jane, age 22, Lilian, age 19, Thomas Porteous, age 40 (Farm Servant), Francis Lockerbie, age 14, Farm Servant, Elizabeth Imrie, age 16, Female Servant, Helen Walker, Lodger. 

Next to the gravestone of Andrew Scott is another Scott family:  William Scott, Farmer in Mollin, died Feb 8, 1879, age 75, and his wife, Grace Charteris, died at Mollin October 24 1895, age 89.  There are other family members with them:  William who died in Feb 1870, 32 yrs; James, who died at Redhall on Sept 8, 1847, age 3yrs;  Rev. John Scott, Minister of the parish of Glenbucket, Aberdeenshire, died in Edinburgh on May 25, 1886, age 52; David Scott, Farmer, Mollin, died July 29, 1924, age 81.

My notes show that Andrew Scott and Margaret Howat(son) had at least William, Samuel [Sr], and Andrew Scott as their sons, along with the children in the 1841 census.

This is as far as I am with the research.  Thank you.

Allison