Author Topic: Ann Owen (1794-1873) - looking for parents and first husband  (Read 8495 times)

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Ann Owen (1794-1873) - looking for parents and first husband
« on: Saturday 30 March 13 23:21 GMT (UK) »
Trying to work backwards from my 3* great grandmother, who died as Ann Owen in Llanhowell in Feb 1873 aged 77. Not knowing the area makes it hard to know how close places are and whether or not any records are possible so I would be really grateful for advice on the following please.

Ann’s daughter Ann Thomas (b 1833 in Mathry) married John Owen (no relation to mother-in-law Ann as far as I know) in Aug 1852 in Haverfordwest, naming William Thomas (labourer) as her father. It doesn’t say so on the marriage cert but William had died, and Ann had already lost her second husband John Owen, who died in 1849.

OrielBenfro found John’s will in reply no 6 in the related topic http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,584657.0.html

So, looking for a John Owen marriage to an Ann Thomas (a widow) I’ve found one in Llandeloy on 12 March 1839, naming Ann’s father as Lewis Morris. 
Ann’s birth place is given as St David’s (or just Pembrokeshire) in about 1794 in the censuses and I’ve found a baptism for ‘Ann, daughter of Lewis Morris and Mary his wife of St David’s’ on 17 Jan 1794.
I’ve then found banns, but no wedding so far, of Anne Morris and William Thomas at Llanrhian in June/July 1818 (though the children I believe to be theirs were born around 1828 (John), 1832 (Margaret) and 1833 (Ann), which seems a longtime after the wedding, though maybe there were earlier children too).
And a burial for William Thomas, aged 35, in Jan 1833, abode Tredel (which daughter Margaret gives as her birthplace in 1891 (says Mathry or Llanhowell in other censuses).

So I have:
1874 (Jan): Ann Morris baptised in St David’s (daughter of Lewis and Mary)
1818 (Jul): Anne Morris married William Thomas in Llanrhian
1828: Son John born (says Mathry in 1851 census)
1831: Daughter Margaret born (Mathry/Llanhowell/Tredel in various censuses)
1833 (Jan): Husband 1 William Thomas buried in Mathry (abode Tredel)
1833: Daughter Ann born (Mathry) - my 2* great g'mother
1839 (Mar): Ann Thomas (widow) married John Owen in Llandeloy (see attached - can't make out the residences - any ideas?)
1849 (Nov): Husband 2 John Owen buried in Llanhowell (abode Treglemes)
1852 (Aug): Daughter Ann married John Owen (Haverfordwest register office - have cert)
1853 (Aug): Grand-daughter Jane born at Treglemesh (my great g'mother - have cert)
1855 (Aug): Daughter Ann buried in Croesgoch (with her baby daughter Elizabeth, aged 14 days)
1873 (Feb): Ann died at Treglemais, buried at Croesgoch 

Grateful for any views on how possible this scenario is, particularly the weddings, and any other possible children for Ann(e) and William - thanks for reading.

Happy Easter everyone. 
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Ann Owen (1794-1873) - looking for parents and first husband
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 30 March 13 23:35 GMT (UK) »
PS This (in the 1841 census) looks like the same place as Ann's residence at the time of the wedding..
CARDIFF:Lord,Griffiths,Barry,Cope,Mahoney ~ PEMBROKESHIRE:Griffiths,Rees,Owen,Thomas ~ ESSEX:Lord,Foreman,Hatch ~ SOMERSET:Lord,Cox,Hockey,Linham,Bryant ~ STAFFORDSHIRE:Cope,Elks,Hackney,Gallimore,Davenport ~ SUFFOLK:Lord,Lockwood,Hatch,Rix,Foreman ~ IRELAND:Barry,Meany,Cummins,Grogan ~
PONTYPRIDD:Leigh,Brooks,Adams,Davies,Thomas ~ KENT:Leigh ~ CHESHIRE:Adams,Tudor,Illidge ~ DENBIGHSHIRE:Edwards,Bolas ~BRECON:Leigh,Thomas,Davies ~SOMERSET:Adams,Keitch,Bridge ~ABERGAVENNY:Minton ~ MERTHYR:.....

Offline Orielbenfro

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 31 March 13 12:07 BST (UK) »

14th July 1818 William Thomas mrd Anne Morris at Llanrhian.

Lewis Morris mrd Mary Arnold at St Davids in 1791

Lewis Morris mrd Mary Patrick at St Davids in 1802

Did you find any relevant info in the will of Lewis Morris of Llanhowell SD -1834/062, there are plenty of Arnold wills that may be informative.

Rgds
Owen Ap Benfro
ORIEL (world wide 1042 ~ 2013)
P.R.'s Pembs St Mary, St Michael & Monkton St Nicholas
e-books ~ Headstones & Memorials of St Mary, St Michael, Monkton St Nicholas
e-book ~ Park Street Cemetery Pembroke Dock
e-book ~ Ex Servicemen buried Llanion Cemetery
e-book ~ British Military Cemetery 1832 ~ 1948
Pembrokeshire Military Related Headstones 1714 ~ 2013
PEMBROKE Town & District (History of People and Places)
1946-2015

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 31 March 13 17:54 BST (UK) »
Thanks Owen,

Having posted this last night - thrilled that I had possibly found Ann's maiden name, first husband and her parents - I spent a few more fascinating hours looking through Pembs parish records.

I found the Lewis Morris to Mary Arnold marriage in St David’s in 1791, and possible burials for them in Llanhowell..
- Lewis Morris 1833 (70, Treglemais)
- Mary Morris 1842 (84, Treglemais)

I then looked for the baptisms of Lewis Morris (didn't find anything) and Mary Arnold and found one for Mary on 7 March 1761, daughter of David and Elinor Arnold… then siblings Thomas (1758), William (1756), Ann (1754) and Elizabeth (1751).

Suddenly saw the clock change on the computer, not at midnight but at 1am so it was then 2am ::) so thought I'd better go to bed... After a busy family day today, I've just got back to the computer and seen your message, many thanks.     

I hadn't seen the 2nd Lewis Morris marriage, so the burial I found may well be the 2nd wife (Mary Patrick), though it is a good age match for the Mary Arnold baptism.

Having gone to bed my mind was still buzzing, and then I rememered that I might find a will, but decided against coming back downstairs! Will look for that now - thanks for the reference, looks like I may well have found the right burial. 

Where did you find the Llanrhian 1818 marriage (as I can only find banns on FindMyPast)?

While this really early info looks great (I never expected to get back to baptism or christening entries written as these are), should I be concerned about the 1818 marriage and no children until 1828, or as I can't find any baptism records for John, Margaret and Ann that there could be earlier children too. But where are any of them in 1841 if Anne and her second husband John are at Llandeloy?

Plenty more exploring to do, wills first though, thanks again Owen, 

Deirdre

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 31 March 13 18:25 BST (UK) »
Found the Lewis Morris will (thanks again Owen), confirmed death at Treglemais Vach, Llanhowell, 2 marriages, children Anne from the first and Mary and Ebenezer from his 2nd.  ;D

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 31 March 13 20:15 BST (UK) »
I think the addresses(still current) are:-

Vagw(y)r Walter - postcode SA62 5LP

Perche                               SA62 6LW

Regards
Roger

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 31 March 13 20:52 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roger,

According to g**gle, the postcodes are nearly 10 miles away from each other. If they still exist - which is amazing - do you know if they are houses or farms?

Deirdre

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 31 March 13 21:25 BST (UK) »
Apologies,there was a typo in my reply,Vagwr Walter is SA62 6LP.OS maps can be viewed at www.old-maps.co.uk using the postcodes as search terms.There is also a drop down list of historical equivalent maps.I'll have a look at Google Earth for the properties.

Regards
Roger

Offline Deirdre784

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 31 March 13 21:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks Roger, just found it! They both come up as current properties on 192.com as well (though I've not got any current credits to see the details).