Author Topic: John Phillips of Begelly 1806 - 1842  (Read 1281 times)

Offline dcrs

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Phillips of Begelly 1806 - 1842
« on: Monday 26 May 14 21:07 BST (UK) »
ny assistance will be appreciated

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Phillips of Begelly 1806 - 1842
« Reply #1 on: Monday 26 May 14 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi and a warm welcome to Rootschat.

Please let us know what you have already found about this person(christening? marriage? 1841 census? Death?burial?) and what it is you are wanting help with, so we dont duplicate! Tell us all you know about him.
( I don't know about anyone else, but I don't even know where Begelly is!)
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dcrs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 May 14 21:52 BST (UK) »
Hi and a warm welcome to Rootschat.

Please let us know what you have already found about this person(christening? marriage? 1841 census? Death?burial?) and what it is you are wanting help with, so we dont duplicate! Tell us all you know about him.
( I don't know about anyone else, but I don't even know where Begelly is!)
Thanks for your response. Begelly is a small village in Pembrokeshire, South West Wales, near Tenby. In the 1841 census John Phillips is shown as being married to Sarah whom I assume to be Sarah Harries, married in December 1830 as their first child Margaret was born in 1832. They resided in Bramble Hill Begelly and he is registered as a farmer yet a later census states Sarah ito be a miner's widow. He died of consumption Jan 14 1842 and their gravestone in Begelly church states Sarah died ion May 2nd 1895 aged 88. What I am trying to determine is where I can discover who John's parents were so that I can continue my research. Would the Church register show this

Offline dcrs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 26 May 14 21:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your response. Begelly is a small village in Pembrokeshire, South West Wales, near Tenby. In the 1841 census John Phillips is shown as being married to Sarah whom I assume to be Sarah Harries, married in December 1830 as their first child Margaret was born in 1832. They resided in Bramble Hill Begelly and he is registered as a farmer yet a later census states Sarah ito be a miner's widow. He died of consumption Jan 14 1842 and their gravestone in Begelly church states Sarah died ion May 2nd 1895 aged 88. What I am trying to determine is where I can discover who John's parents were so that I can continue my research. Would the Church register show this

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 26 May 14 22:00 BST (UK) »
Prior to 1837 when Civil Registration began, you will be reliant on a record of a christening in a Parish register.
The difficulty with your guy is, that as he died before 1851 (when birthplaces were given on the census) you dont know where he was born!
So it will probably be a case of starting to look in parishes around that area, amd hope he didnt come from too far away.
Have you found the marriage in a parish register? Marriages were traditionally in the brides parish, but the register might say if the groom was "of this parish" or if not which parish he lived in. That doesnt mean he was born there, just that he was there at the time of the marriage, but it can be a starting place.
I'll get the mods to move this to a Welsh board on here, so people with more local knowledge are more likely to spot it, and might be able to help you more specifically.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline dcrs

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 26 May 14 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks for that. Begelly was a small close knit Mining community and I have confidence that John was born there or thereabouts. I will call into the church next time I am down there to look at the register of birth and marriage. Your assistance and action is much appreciated