Author Topic: Bella Jokai  (Read 6911 times)

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Bella Jokai
« on: Wednesday 11 December 13 16:43 GMT (UK) »
I believe Bella Jokai died 30th January 1947 in the Amersham district of Buckinghamshire. Can anyone direct me to a newspaper containing a possible obituary or any other information?
Thanks in advance
Roy G

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Bella Jokai
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 16:47 GMT (UK) »
Have you already got her age (68) and administration details? Her estate of only Ł20 was administered (in 1962) by Louis Nagy aka Lajos Nagy journalist.

Bella's address at death was Manor Lodge, Manor Way, Chesham.
Ayr: Barnes, Wylie
Caithness: MacGregor
Essex: Eldred (Pebmarsh)
Gloucs: Timbrell (Winchcomb)
Hants: Stares (Wickham)
Lincs: Maw, Jackson (Epworth, Belton)
London: Pierce
Suffolk: Markham (Framlingham)
Surrey: Gosling (Richmond)
Wilts: Matthews, Tarrant (Calne, Preshute)
Worcs: Milward (Redditch)
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 16:54 GMT (UK) »
Was she (formerly Bella Nagy) the widow of this man?

http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%B3kai_M%C3%B3r
Yorks: Beaumont, Crook, Moore, Styring (Huddersfield); Middleton (Church Fenton); Exley, Gelder (High Hoyland); Barnes, Birchinall (Sheffield); Kenyon, Wood (Cumberworth/Denby Dale)

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 16:55 GMT (UK) »
Yes, here she is. Hope your Hungarian's better than mine :)

http://hu.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nagy_Bella

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 17:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks avm228.

Yes that's her (born 1879, died 1947).  She came to the fore as the very young bride of Jókai Mór a famous Hungarian writer who was born in 1824 and died in1904.  As you can see, he was some 55 years her senior and because of their age differences, she offten suffered "Gold Digger" taunts from his close Hungarian relatives, who are also on record as bickering over his estate.   

One of his biographers out here in Hungary wrote that he knew Bella died in England in 1947, but had no idea in what town and where she was buried.  The problem of finding that out was a challenge that I found too exciting to resist

I am much obliged for your rapid response with info showing her estate was minimal and that her younger brother was an executor, for that has certainly narrowed the search for her last resting place down to a cemetery (possibly Jewish) in the Chesham area.  Hopefully a Chesham newspaper also contains a more detailed obituary.

Regards Roy G

Offline avm228

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 December 13 18:04 GMT (UK) »
There was no death notice placed in The Times for Bella - just to cross off that possibility.

Yes I can see the tussle over his will, reported at the time :) And the Morning Post of 29 Aug 1899:

The announcement that Maurice Jokai, Hungary's greatest author, is about to marry Madlle. Arabella Nagy, a charming actress at the Magyar National Theatre in Budapest, has excited the liveliest interest in Austria and Hungary, more especially as M. Jokai is seventy-four years of age, while his bride is only eighteen.

On your quest for a burial I was going to say that by 1947 one must also bear in mind the real possibility of cremation - but that's less likely if she was Jewish.

Offline NAJ71

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 March 14 22:04 GMT (UK) »
Hello I have just come across your search and I believe that Bella Nagy formerly lived and was the first owner of our house in Chesham and I have a photograph of her (I think) which comes with the house. I am looking into house deeds but am very interested in finding out more and I am intrigued about your link with her. Can you let me know any further information and likewise I will after I've dug a little deeper? Many thanks

Offline Roy G

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 12 March 14 05:02 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your follow up on this NAJ71

I have to say that I have no family connection with Bella whatsoever, my motivation to find out more came after a present day Hungarian biographer stated that after her husband's death, Bella settled in 'London' England, adding rather dismissively, that "little else is known." That I found, was a challenge that I could not resist and hence my interest.  For a start London was incorrect, for as you know, Chesham, Bucks is some considerable distance away from London.

I can give you various internet links that would tell you more, but there would invariably be language complexities.  The best sources are the Hungarian Wikipedia entries for Bella (spelled with two LLs) and her husband Jókai Mór which both have a translate into English facility.  Even just Googling their names will give you an early series of pictures of her with her husband which I think you will also enjoy picking through.

The main thing that intrigued people then and now in Hungary, was an age difference between groom and bride of some 55 years.  Some believe that the bride was a sort of Victorian dolly bird that only married the groom for financial reasons, whilst others contend it was a genuine love match. I could not say either way, but I strongly favour the latter. 

Roy G

Offline NAJ71

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 March 14 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your reply. I am now very intrigued and will post any further information from this end.