Author Topic: Familysearch Baptism  (Read 2504 times)

Offline ATGoldsmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Researching since 2012
    • View Profile
Familysearch Baptism
« on: Tuesday 17 June 14 23:01 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

I am using the website familysearch a lot for my research at the moment especially their collection of baptisms and marriages.  I have found a baptism for my 12th great grandmother Katherine Abbott (variant spellings) on 8th July 1576 in Padbury.  However, as the records on familysearch are mainly transcriptions, it is hard to get relevant information sometimes.  With this baptism - unlike most I have come across - familysearch do not state any parents for Katherine.  I would like to find out who they were to further my knowledge of the family.  It would be easy if I had the originals laid out in front of me but I am not based in Buckinghamshire so I can't just nip down to the church and scroll through their books!!

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks
ATGoldsmith
British student studying in Poland who loves travelling!

Asbury, Berwick, Birkenhead, Boswell, Campbell, Catlin, C(h)rimes, Clarke, Coles, Crawford, Crowfoot, Denton, Downie, Durrant, Dutton, Eaton, Fairbrother, Goldsmith, Gower, Hawkes, Hepburn, Hulatt, Humstone, Ivory, Kent, Lynn, Lyon, Mahon, Mander, McCann, McGowan, McGregor, McKean, McLeod, McMahon, Meechan, Moses, Nelson, Pelling, Pemberton, Pickstone, Sconce, Stokes, Summerfield, Swannell, Terry, Thorowgood, Tierney, Varney, Webdale.

Offline lizdb

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Familysearch Baptism
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 09:01 BST (UK) »
Your profile says you are not so many millions of miles away - can you take a days holiday and visit the relevant local record office, where I would assume PRs are held?  You may find a lot more on your family than just this one entry, and Local Record offices are great places to visit!!!!
It is best to check out all entries from Familysearch from the originals if possible. Also it gives you a chance to follow some of your findings further, looking for wider families and piecing families together - very important as often a good match found in isolation on familysearch or similar proves to be someone else within the family and when followed through and other info found (eg wills, burials) can actually be ruled out.
Edmonds/Edmunds - mainly Sussex
DeBoo - London
Green - Suffolk
Parker - Sussex
Kemp - Essex
Farrington - Essex
Boniface - West Sussex

census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline jillruss

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Poppy
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 17:42 BST (UK) »
With a baptism entry as early as 1576, its quite likely that the parents weren't named. I would have thought the names would appear on Family Search if they had been given.

I agree with lizdb about visiting record offices but if you really can't make it to the Bucks office, you could try the Buckinghamshire Family History Society's webpage. They will undertake name searches for a very small charge so you could perhaps find more Buckinghamshire Abbots. They are very helpful.

I have early Abbots in Bucks but mine were in Great Marlow.

Good luck.

Jill
HELP!!!

BATHSHEBA BOOTHROYD bn c. 1802 W. Yorks.

Baptism nowhere to be found. Possibly in a nonconformist church near ALMONDBURY or HUDDERSFIELD.

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 18:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

I popped to our local library today. A note in the file states that records are in a poor state.
I did find the baptism but only katherine is readable. There is another Abbott entry the following year but again no help. Bucks fhs May have more in their databases but the film is no help at all.
Tazzie
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline shirleylds

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 18:32 BST (UK) »
Hi I located the record on family search and found the film number which is 1042396 I used this number in the search and the name abbat.  I came up with a number of people one of these  was Lettyce Abbat born one year later whose father was Richard.  There are others try the number in the search to find them.

Offline ATGoldsmith

• RootsChat Member
  • Researching since 2012
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 20:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for all the ideas guys! :)

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to go to Buckinghamshire any time soon but when I do I think I'll find some answers!

I had a feeling that the lack of parents had something to do with damage to the records.  I think the other Padbury baptisms of Abbotts are likely to have some relation to Katherine.  I'll keep in mind the Buckinghamshire Family History Society as well.

Thanks!

ATG
British student studying in Poland who loves travelling!

Asbury, Berwick, Birkenhead, Boswell, Campbell, Catlin, C(h)rimes, Clarke, Coles, Crawford, Crowfoot, Denton, Downie, Durrant, Dutton, Eaton, Fairbrother, Goldsmith, Gower, Hawkes, Hepburn, Hulatt, Humstone, Ivory, Kent, Lynn, Lyon, Mahon, Mander, McCann, McGowan, McGregor, McKean, McLeod, McMahon, Meechan, Moses, Nelson, Pelling, Pemberton, Pickstone, Sconce, Stokes, Summerfield, Swannell, Terry, Thorowgood, Tierney, Varney, Webdale.

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 18 June 14 21:10 BST (UK) »
Hi

Yes there was another in 1577  again not clear but Richard ...yes could be... we blew the image up but did not help.
Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Horatio

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 June 14 18:56 BST (UK) »
Hi ATG

As you have found the records on familysearch, you can order a copy of the record it was taken from,
<https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/Photoduplication_Services>

It is a free service, information via the link above

Thanks for all the ideas guys! :)

Unfortunately I am not going to be able to go to Buckinghamshire any time soon but when I do I think I'll find some answers!

I had a feeling that the lack of parents had something to do with damage to the records.  I think the other Padbury baptisms of Abbotts are likely to have some relation to Katherine.  I'll keep in mind the Buckinghamshire Family History Society as well.

Thanks!

ATG