Author Topic: Curries of Dalserf  (Read 9405 times)

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Curries of Dalserf
« on: Sunday 21 March 10 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi, does anyone have the Currie's of Dalserf /Larkhall in their tree? we have got back to William Currie 1750 Dalserf born to William Currie & Mary Scoular but we can only find a marriage for William & a Janet Scoular then our trail runs cold , Are Janet & Mary one and the same, who are there parents? we would be most grateful if someone could point us in the right direction regards Nikita

Offline maggie1904

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Curries of Dalserf
« Reply #1 on: Friday 29 October 10 08:03 BST (UK) »
I share your problem. I think they are the same erson and the minister made a mistake recording one of the entries but no absolute proof. Dalserf OPR don't go back any further.

I have info on descendents of their son William born 1750 and would like to know if they had other children as I have connections with other Curries and am trying to find out if they connect with each other.

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 11:05 GMT (UK) »
Hi Maggie, many thanks for your reply,I had given up hope of anyone replying, I am descended from William 1750 and Janet Paterson married at Dalserf June 4th 1774 these are the children I have for them, Isabel 1775, Alexander 1777, Janet 1779,William1780, Walter 1783 my descendant who married Mary Brown, John 1785 Janet(2) 1787 Francis 1792,I have my line back to William abt 1730 and Janet/ Mary Scoular I was hoping to get back further, as there are still lots of Currie's to be found before this but just can't connect them, if you need any of the more recent line I will try to help. Regards Nikitah

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 November 10 11:57 GMT (UK) »
There are a few Curries buried in Dalserf churchyard.
William Currie died 15th May 1853 aged 77 years. (his wife Marion Harvie died 12th January 1855 aged 77 years).
Could this be your William who was born 1780?

Here in Scotland the parish records were usually kept by the session clerk, not the minister. (Especially in small, country parishes such as this). In many instances the posts were held by parish schoolmasters, educated men, not prone to making mistakes in important documents, so don't be tempted to take the easy way and assume that he wrote Janet instead of Mary. These names are not synonymous in Scotland, or elsewhere as far as I know.

The records of proclamation of Banns in Dalserf begin from October 1740.  It is quite possible that the marriage you are looking for took place before that date.

Good luck,

Lodger
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 04 November 10 14:10 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for your reply Lodger,very informative. I have tried S/P with a wide search between 1710 and 1750 for another Scoular marrying a William Currie even with variants there just arn't  any others, except 1749 when William married Janet Scoular then in 1750 our William was born to William Currie and Mary Scoular all in Dalserf so maybe it was an older William and Mary who had our William and as you say their marriage was before 1740, funny thing is there doesn't apear to be any more children recorded for either couple, looks like that wall again ::) Kind regards Nikitah

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 05 November 10 13:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi LODGER, So sorry I called you lunchbox  :-[ I have no Idea Where that came from, I keep loosing the internet so I have to be quick and didn't have time to check  ::) well I got the L right didn't I? Thanks again LODGER, regards Nikitah

Offline Lodger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 05 November 10 15:46 GMT (UK) »
That's OK, I've been called a lot worse than that in my time!
Sticks and Stones, as they say.

Lodger.
Paterson, Torrance, Gilchrist - Hamilton Lanarkshire. 
McCallum - Oban, McKechnie - Ross of Mull Argyll.
Scrim - Perthshire. 
Liddell - Polmont,
Binnie - Muiravonside Stirlingshire.
Curran, McCafferty, Stevenson, McCue - Co Donegal
Gibbons, Weldon - Co Mayo.
Devlin - Co Tyrone.
Leonard - County Donegal & Glasgow.

Offline JanetG161

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 20 March 11 21:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi
I have Helen Currie born abt 1814 in Bothwell. Helen married Matthew Gardner on 19 Ap 1835 in Bothwell.  Mybe there is a link to the Currie' of Dalserf.
Roy/Dodds/Arnott/Loudon/Mahood/Smellie/Sommerville/Pettigrew/
Goldie/Fraser/Burt/Moffat/Hay. Mainly in  Cambusnethan and Shotts.

Offline nikitah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 21 March 11 09:16 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet, many thanks for your reply, I did a quick check with Scotlands People and Familysearch,   if your Helen was born at Bothwell, she was Baptised 28 of November 1813, at Bothwell, her parents where John Currie and Isobel Carstairs, Isabel and John married at Blantyre 27Th of November1803, John was the son of Robert Currie and Grizel Muir and born in the Gorbals Glasgow, Unless my Currie,s came from there prior to 1750 or Robert moved from Dalserf to Glasgow,as yet ,I can't see a connection, I f you do find a connection I would appreciate it if you would keep me posted, like wise I will do the same. Regards Nikitah