Author Topic: Information on McNEILL family.  (Read 7752 times)

Offline Milly Mac

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Information on McNEILL family.
« on: Friday 06 January 12 02:47 GMT (UK) »
Hit a brick wall! Can anyone help?
I have found my GGGGrandparents John McNEILL B.C1801 in Lanarkshire and wife Jean/Jane GORDON B.c1801 also in Lanarkshire in the 1841 Census- Parish/District Glasgow,Ref 64/1,Enum Dist 97, Page 5.
But I can't seem to go any further back. DNA suggets that the family is from Isle of Barra but can't find the link.
Their children in 1841 census were:
William - 14 (my gggrandfather)
Mary    - 10
Marion  - 8
Charles - 3
1851 census shows
Widowed, John married Agnes (married name Miller) and gained 2 stepchildren-
John - 13
Robert - 11
Then birth of Elizabeth in 1850.
Can anyone help in finding any of these or finding any information prior to this?
Thanks Milly
McNeil, Pemberton, Bremmell, Solberg, Hall, Finlay, Nicholls, Berry, Sutherland, Giddey, Tickle

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Information on McNEILL family.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 06 January 12 08:03 GMT (UK) »
Did John survive beyond 1855?

His death record should give his parents names

Offline tika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 06 January 12 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Milly,

William McNiell and Margaret McCarter (McArthur) were my g g g grandparents as well.   William's parents were John and Jane Gordon.   Jane Gordon died on 29/03/1844 at Soho Square, Glasgow aged 45 years of asthma. John remarried Agnes Bannister and had two children - Lachlan who died as an infant of small pox on 22/02/1855 and Elizabeth who was born in 1854.  She married Daniel McCallum on 29/12/1871 in Govan.  William died on 24/12/1867 in the City Poorhouse aged 68 yrs. I haven't had time to try and find if there are any records for the poorhouse which might give details of his place of birth.   On one of the census it shows he was born at Arnot Hall, Lanark but have not traced this.   I did put a post on this board some time ago about this family.

I have spent many hours and money tracing this family as the story my dad and ands his mum had was the McNeill's came from Barra but I can't get them back to there.

John McNeill had a brother called Neil who was born on 02/05/1811 and died on 27/07/1883 in Glasgow.  He married Margaret Skinner on 29/07/1832 at Baroney, Lanark. and I have traced some of their family too.

I found the marriage of Charles (one of John's children) to Jane McNeill on 31/12/1863 in Partick.   On this entry it shows that they were cousins Germaine (which means first cousins.)  Her father was Neil McNeill and on his death in 1883 it gives his parents who would be the same parents as John.   They were Lachlan McNeil Foreman Dyer and Jane Martin.   They married in Feb 1797 at New Monkland, Lanark.  Unfortunately I have been unable to get any further back so not found a link to Barra. It is strange that you think the same family came from there so there must be some truth in it.
All the family seem to have been in the weaving trade so maybe they came from Barra to work in Glasgow at some point but it must have been in the 1700's.
If you want any other details please PM me and I will let you have all the other details I have.
Morag
Brown, Murray, Copland, McGinely, Walker, Scott Telford, McKinnell, Crosbie, Kirkpatrick.

Offline Milly Mac

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 07 January 12 01:00 GMT (UK) »
Wow! Thank you so much.
I'll PM to get more information.
Milly.
McNeil, Pemberton, Bremmell, Solberg, Hall, Finlay, Nicholls, Berry, Sutherland, Giddey, Tickle

Offline Vince MacNeil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 15 January 12 19:42 GMT (UK) »
Hello there,

I am a MacNeil with roots in Barra and I am a Y-DNA match for your family.  R1a indicates Norse Viking descent and this Y-DNA signature appears to be rare in the Barra MacNeil population so far.  There are two MacNeil families who have tested with the Y-DNA project at Family Tree DNA who are R1a and who match your family's Y-DNA signature.

I know that my MacNeils must have moved back and forth between the mainland and Barra.  In 1817, my ancestor James and the majoroty of his siblings emigrated to Cape Breton.  Recently, we have uncovered letters which were written by Neil McNeil who was a Minister at Elgin.  He was born in Kirkliston, Midlothian, Scotland in Jan 1782 according to a biography written about him.  He married Catherine Miller on the 29 Aug 1823 at Elgin.  He died there on 1 Mar 1855.  In 1855, my ancestor's brother visited Elgin to 'meet the brother he had never met" but he had did a few months before.

Do you know of a family connection of yours to this Neil McNeil? 

Your Y-DNA signature suggests that you very well may have MacNeil of Barra ancestry. I wonder if some how your MacNeils connect to mine.  This is what I have on your Lachlan:

Lachlan MacNeil

Father:   R1a MacNeil
Marriage:   Feb 1797   New Monkland, Lanark

Spouse:   Jane Martin

Children are

Agnes MacNeil
b 29 May 1798   Cadder, Lanark, Scotland

John MacNeil
abt 1801   Arnot Hall, Lanark
Spouse:   Jane 'Jean' Gordon
Marriage:   24 Feb 1826   Govan, Scotland
Spouse:   Agnes Bannister

Mary MacNeil
b   20 May 1804   Barony, Lanark, Scotland

Allan MacNeil
b   22 Jun 1806   Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

Neil MacNeil
b   2 May 1811   Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
d   27 Jul 1883   Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
Spouse:   Margaret Skinner
Marriage:   29 Jul 1832   Baroney, Lanark

Marion MacNeil
b   12 Dec 1808   Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

Notes for Lachlan MacNeil
Groom  Lachlan Mcniel

Wife  Jean Martin

Marriage Date:  Feb 1797
Marriage Place:  New Monkland,Lanark,Scotland

Offline Vince MacNeil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 15 January 12 19:48 GMT (UK) »
Hi again,

Did William died in 1867?  If so, the last few children I have here must have been born to another couple by the same name.

Name:   William MacNeil

Birth:   abt 1827
Father:   John MacNeil (~1801-)
Mother:   Jane 'Jean' Gordon (~1801-1844)
Marriage:   9 Dec 1853   Govan, Scotland

Spouse:   Margaret McCarter

Children:

Margaret MacNeil
Birth:   20 Jan 1855   Cambusnethan, Lanark, Scotland

John MacNeil
Birth:   17 Oct 1856   Cambusnethan, Lanark, Scotland
Spouse:   Agnes Findlay

Duncan MacNeil
Birth:   20 Aug 1858   Cambusnethan, Lanark, Scotland

William MacNeil
Birth:   23 Sep 1860   Bathgate West, Midlothian, Scotland

Jane Gordon MacNeil
Birth:   26 Oct 1862   Bathgate West, Midlothian, Scotland
   Marion MacNeil
Birth:   29 Sep 1864   Bathgate West, Midlothian, Scotland
   Elizabeth MacNeil
Birth:   20 Sep 1865   Bathgate West, Midlothian, Scotland
   Mary MacNeil
Birth:   20 Dec 1867   West Calder, Midlothian, Scotland

David Gordon MacNeil
Birth:   17 Aug 1870   West Calder, Midlothian, Scotland

Robert Gillon MacNeil
Birth:   12 Jul 1873   West Calder, Midlothian, Scotland

Offline tika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 16 January 12 21:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just to let you know that John MacNeil was married twice:
1st wife was jane/jean Gordon who died on 29/03/1944 and had children William, Mary, Marion and Charles and then he married Agnes Bannister around 1848/49 and had two further children Lachlan who died in infancy in 1855 and Elizabeth born around 1850 who married Daniel McCallum on 29/12/1871 in Govan.   William then died in 1867.

In answer to your other post I don't have any other information beyond Lachlan MacNeil who married Jane Martin so unable to say if they are connected to your family.
Brown, Murray, Copland, McGinely, Walker, Scott Telford, McKinnell, Crosbie, Kirkpatrick.

Offline Vince MacNeil

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 16 January 12 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Could there have been four children from the second marriage?

Name:   John MacNeil
----------------------------------------
Birth:   abt 1801   Arnot Hall, Lanark
Father:   Lachlan MacNeil
Mother:   Jane Martin
Other Spouses:   Jane 'Jean' Gordon
Spouse:   Agnes Bannister
Other Spouses:   Miller

Children:
1 F:   Elizabeth MacNeil
Birth:   abt 1854
Spouse:   Daniel McCallum
Marriage:   29 Dec 1871   Govan, Scotland
2 M:   Lachlan MacNeil (Died as Infant)
Birth:   1855
Death:   22 Feb 1855
3 M:   Gordon MacNeil
Birth:   12 Jul 1856   High Church, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland
4 F:   Jane MacNeil
Birth:   12 Jul 1856   High Church, Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

Last Modified:   15 Jan 2012
Created:   16 Jan 2012

Offline tika

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 17 January 12 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Just to let you know I gave you the wrong info on my last post - I should have said it was John who died on 24/12/1867 in the City poorhouse aged 68 years. I must try to get to the Mitchell Library and see if there is any info on the poor records.

He certainly could have had another two children in 1856 especially as they seem to have been called after his dead 1st wife - bit strange don't you think - that none of the children are called after the 2nd wife unless there is a child between Elizabeth and Lachlan.   He must have been around 56 yrs old when the twins were born.  I haven't been able to find the family on 1861 census but will have another look now I know about these other children.

His parents Lachlan and Jane Martin had at least 8 children - 7 of which I have found as follows:
Agnes c.4/6/1798 @ Cadder
John (no trace of birth)
Another child (no trace)
Mary b. 20/05/1804 (shown as 4th child)
Allan b.22/06/1806 @ Lanark
Marion b.12/12/1808 @ Glasgow
Neil b. 02/05/1811 m. Margt. Skinner
Archibald b. 12/11/1814 @ Barony.
I have most of the parish certs for them if you want a copy.
For some reason I can't find John who is my direct descendant and was born around 1800.

I also have the marriage proclamation for Lachlan McNiel and Jane Martin on 01/02/1797 at Airdrie or New Monkland. (doesn't give any other info).

Also found death of a Lachlan McNeill aged 65 on 21/01/1939 (not sure if correct one) shown as a Dyer and dies of Asthma (all of which sounds right but can't be certain and I haven't found his wife's death yet!)  If only he had lived another 2 years until the 1841 census!!

I find it strange that they are all registered in the Church of Scot. registers when most the islanders were RC!

Any ideas!

Morag