Author Topic: Platthorn East Kilbride in the 1920's  (Read 5039 times)

Offline Baird

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Private 10576 Thomas Baird 1890 - 1916
    • View Profile
Platthorn East Kilbride in the 1920's
« on: Thursday 27 November 14 10:05 GMT (UK) »
I am trying to find out if there are any records of residents of Platthorn in East Kilbride in the 1920's.

I have a Norah McCartney listed on the Ellis Island web site as having arrived in New York 22nd May 1921 with her 4 daughters . She was emigrating to join her husband and gives as her last address in Scotland , the home of her brother Henry Burns , Platthorn , East Kilbride.
This is a bit strange as 6 months earlier at the marriage of Henry Burns in Glasgow his address was 145 Finlay Drive in Glasgow and his occupation as a Drapers Warehouseman. Not an occupation in high demand in East Kilbride in the 1920's I think.
Prior to that the family had been long time residents in the Springburn area of Glasgow.
Any info on Platthorn greatly appreciated.

Baird
Rutherglen;Baird/Adair/Ferguson/Reid
Strathaven;Shearer , Orr
Beith;Steel 
Glasgow;Donnelly,McSorley,Burns
County Tyrone;McSorley
Eaglesham;Paton
 All;McAlonan and variants 
Sligo;Burns 
2nd. bat Seaforth Highlanders 1914-16.
2nd. bat. KOSB 1914-18.
1/8th. Bat. Cameronians 1914-15
5th. Bat. Cameronians 1914-17
1st. Bat. Scots Guards 1914-15
HMS Biarritz 1915-16
K Class Submarines  K10 and K11

Online MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Platthorn East Kilbride in the 1920's
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 November 14 13:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Baird

I think Platthorn is around the area where St Brides RC church and original St Brides Secondary school was located there. There is today a Platthorn Drive and Platthorn Road.

The 1920 Valuation Rolls shows 9 entries at Platthorn (No Burns though I don't think showing).

It may have been a farm. Found a picture of Platthorn Farm in 1918!

Shrunk link from google books - www.rootschat.com/links/01e9i/

Checking now, the 9 entries in the Valuation Rolls become 6 if you add the word farm  ;)

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Platthorn East Kilbride in the 1920s
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 November 14 16:35 GMT (UK) »
Platthorn was just south-east of the Kikrton of East Kilbride. Its land has been swallowed up by the new town of East Kilbride. See http://maps.nls.uk/geo/explore/#zoom=16&lat=55.76394&lon=-4.16708&layers=5 - use the slider on the left to compare this old map with the modern satellite view.

The farm house and buildings were inside the angle made by the junction of what are now Platthorn Road and Platthorn Drive, east of the former and south of the latter.

My great-great-grandparents Alexander Scott and Margaret Aitkenhead lived at Platthorn, and their three eldest children were born there in 1838, 1840 and 1841. I gather, however, that Alexander was not a successful farmer, and they had left Platthorn by 1843, when their fourth child was born. In 1841 there was one more house at Platthorn.

Later on, Alexander's niece Margaret Scott, who had married James Paterson, lived at Platthorn. Five of their six children were born there between 1856 and 1865 but they had moved away by the time their youngest was born in 1869. I have the details of their family from the 1861 census, but not of any other households nearby.

In 1881 there were three households at Platthorn: George Lyle, farmer of 102 acres, with wife, three children and a servant; Mary Strang and her son James Young; and Andrew Paterson with wife and servant.

I don't have information about who the tenants were in the censuses in between.

Hope this helps.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Baird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 November 14 17:07 GMT (UK) »
many thanks Monica and Forfarian.(as usual)
Photo of Platthorn is very interesting but I'm afraid I cannot see any connection with any of the names listed as residing there in 1881. Interesting comment about the arrival of the railway line.I hadn't thought of him commuting.
Maybe just one of those mysteries.

Thanks again,
Baird
Strathaven;Shearer , Orr
Beith;Steel 
County Tyrone;McSorley
Eaglesham;Paton
Sligo;Burns 
2nd. bat. KOSB 1914-18.
HMS Biarritz 1915-16

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 November 14 23:16 GMT (UK) »
The typed passenger record on Anc* has the address as Clapthorn

Offline sancti

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 November 14 23:20 GMT (UK) »
A later passenger record in 1932 has her visiting her brother Thomas Burns at 1286 Springburn Road

Offline Baird

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 November 14 08:42 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks for the info Sancti,
                                                I didn't have the note about her return in 1932 but that address was where the family home had been and where her mother died in 1921. Her father was named Thomas but he had died in 1905. That leaves a brother Thomas of whom I have no death information . Something else for me to check out.
Regarding Platthorn or Clapthorn; I live in East Kibride and have searched for Clapthorn but to no avail. I have decided that the notorious Ellis Island record may be their version of Platthorn which is the only placename resembling Clapthorn in the area.

Many thanks for your assistance.

Baird
Strathaven;Shearer , Orr
Beith;Steel 
County Tyrone;McSorley
Eaglesham;Paton
Sligo;Burns 
2nd. bat. KOSB 1914-18.
HMS Biarritz 1915-16

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: Platthorn East Kilbride in the 1920s
« Reply #7 on: Friday 28 November 14 09:51 GMT (UK) »

I live in East Kibride

My great-great-grandfather Alexander Scott in Platthorn was the younger brother of James Scott whose wife was Isabella Baird. I believe she was the daughter of Robert Baird and Janet Fleming, but she died between the 1851 census and the start of civil registration so there is no death certificate. James and Isabella farmed at Greenhills. Any connection?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline anne_p

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 28 November 14 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Forfarian,
I think the original farm buildings from Platthorn Farm still exist.

From google maps, street view houses that sit there look like they have been redeveloped in recent years.
During the 1970's, I walked past them every day on my way to school
My memory is of much older looking whitewashed farm buildings, but they do take  exactly the same form as I remember.
I clearly recall the old stone walls around the properties