Author Topic: Michael Conroy b abt 1895 14 Shuttle Lane, Glasgow died 1962 Mearnskirk Hospital  (Read 6288 times)

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Conroy b abt 1895 14 Shuttle Lane, Glasgow died 1962 Mearnskirk Hospital
« Reply #9 on: Friday 05 December 14 10:01 GMT (UK) »

Family stories says she (Elizabeth McDonnell) died young, I found a copy of death in Belfast, on NIDirect, that a Mrs Elizabeth Conroy died aged 26 on Thursday, 12th July 1934. Family hearsay says the Orange Parade would not allow cortege to pass, so had to wait until parade passed. The large parade would have been on Saturday the 14th July, so maybe some truth in the story. On the image on NIDirect, it did not have maiden surname, would they have that if I ordered the full certificate.

Hi All,

I have had it confirmed by Aghadowey on the Antrim site, that Irish Death Certificates do not include Maiden Surnames. So I cannot confirm that Mrs Elizabeth Conroy is Elizabeth McDonnell ( or variant of)

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Michael Conroy b abt 1895 14 Shuttle Lane, Glasgow died 1962 Mearnskirk Hospital
« Reply #10 on: Friday 05 December 14 11:39 GMT (UK) »
Ohhh, makes it harder to be certain doesn't it  :-\ Anything in the address that may help on the cert - although looking at the link by aghadowey to Shane's list of DCs and what is on it, can't see a reference to an address. But, should include at least spouse's name and occupation and name of informant?

Does the family know when Mary went to Scotland from Ireland to be taken care of by her Aunt Annie Conroy?

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 05 December 14 12:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,

On the death certificate, it says she died at 51 Lisburn Road, which was the Workhouse/Hospital, present day the site of Belfast City Hospital. Gives her usual address as 18 Garmoyle Street, husband Michael Conroy registered death, he was a labourer. She died of Pulmonary Tuberculosis not in childbirth as family hearsay said. That is why I really wanted to confirm the maiden surname, not sure if she is mine yet.

Mother in law, Mary Conroy went to stay with her Aunt Annie, when she was about 7 or 8, 1934 or 1935. We thought she had been in a convent in Ireland, and hearsay again says her younger siblings Patrick and Annie died on the same day. We are not sure where convent was, but we were led to believe it was in Youghal.

Still awaiting to see her Birth and Marriage certificate from a family member.

Tom

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 05 December 14 13:21 GMT (UK) »
Just thinking dates here and working from the bits of info you have mentioned:

1895: Birth of Michael Conroy Snr. You have all his details up to 1911.

1907-8: Possible birth year of Elizabeth McDonell (with all its variants!) given the DC found in 1934 for a Mrs Elizabeth Conroy, aged 26 at the time of the death.

1911: Michael Conroy still shows on the Scottish 1911 census.

1914-18: Why does the family think he changed his name/age to enlist?

1928: Mary Conroy born 12th September 1928 in Youghal, Co. Cork (although no BC found yet to confirm), died in Scotland in 2003...aged 74-5? You mentioned that Mary had struggled to find her BC at the Registrars at Youghal in later years.

1930: Michael Conroy Jnr bornborn on 20th July 1930 in a workhouse in Newry, Co Down, NI. Parents were Michael Conroy and Elizabeth McDonnell.

1928-34/5: Possible younger siblings to Mary, Patrick and Annie died, maybe at the same time.

1934: A Mrs Elizabeth Conroy died aged 26 on Thursday, 12th July 1934 in Belfast area. You have found a DC, which gives her death from TB and husband a Michael Conroy, a labourer.

1934-5: Young Mary goes to Glasgow area to live with family. Was she the only living child from the family?

1962: Death of Michael Conroy (b. 1895 Glasgow) so aged c. 67? Elizabeth McDonald showing as his deceased wife. From this, Michael Snr never remarried? When did he come back to the Scotland (he must have done given his wife's name was included on his DC).

You know me, I like timelines  ;) Not sure it helps given the lack of records so far, but it would all fit in terms of dates wouldn't it?

Monica

Online Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 05 December 14 13:35 GMT (UK) »
1962: Death of Michael Conroy (b. 1895 Glasgow) so aged c. 67? Elizabeth McDonald showing as his deceased wife. From this, Michael Snr never remarried? When did he come back to the Scotland (he must have done given his wife's name was included on his DC).

His wife's/wives' name(s) would be on his death certificate irrespective of when he came back to Scotland, assuming of course that the informant knew the name(s) of his wife/wives.

So who registered the death?

I don't think I'd be too bothered whether his wife was McDonald or O'Donnell or McDon(n)el(l). They're all variants of the same surname, 'son of Donald'.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 05 December 14 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica, Forfarian etc.,

I have now been given a copy of a form that my mother in law Mary Conroy swore in front of a Justice of the Peace in East Kilbride, on 2nd June, 1981. This must have been after her visit to Ireland to get her birth certificate, apparently her name in Register was Mary Savage. The form says she showed her birth certificate as Mary Savage and her marriage certificate of 2/1/1948, so one of the family must have these families, still await them.

She swore that her father had been known as Michael or John Savage between the years 1914 and 1950. Of course, her father was deceased by this time, so no way of finding out why.

Oh the tangled webs we weave!

Tom

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 05 December 14 18:36 GMT (UK) »

;) Indeed. So did they find her on the Register on 12th September 1928 in Youghal, Co. Cork but with the surname of Savage?

Let's retrench...

Tom, do you know when Michael Conroy headed back to Scotland? Was Mary the only living child from her family unit?

She married as Conroy though in 1948 didn't she. Hopefully, family have that marriage cert to see what it adds.

Monica

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 December 14 19:01 GMT (UK) »
Meant to add, has anyone in the family then got that 1928 BC under Savage for Mary in Youghal? Thinking of Mary being there with the Registrar and getting a copy or verification from the register there which I would guess be working off key facts (her birth date and maybe mother's name even if father was showing as John Savage?).

Monica

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 05 December 14 19:04 GMT (UK) »

;) Indeed. So did they find her on the Register on 12th September 1928 in Youghal, Co. Cork but with the surname of Savage?

Let's retrench...

Tom, do you know when Michael Conroy headed back to Scotland? Was Mary the only living child from her family unit?

She married as Conroy though in 1948 didn't she. Hopefully, family have that marriage cert to see what it adds.

Monica

I think Michael headed back to Scotland after 1950 but stayed with a partner, but did not marry her. He eventually stayed with his daughter, Mary in 1959 and stayed there until his death. He did not talk about his past deeds. Mary had 2 brothers John was born in 1925 and Michael born 1930, she also ad 2 siblings Patrick and Annie who died quite young.

I am still waiting to see the certificates, if they don't turn up, I could visit St Rochs church, and check register there.

Tom