Author Topic: Clutterbucks  (Read 3427 times)

Offline treemad

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Clutterbucks
« on: Sunday 19 May 13 12:41 BST (UK) »
I have a database of 7000 or more Clutterbucks. I would welcome anyone submitting or wanting to connect up and/or I can probably assist with connecting lines into the overall tree, including Australian and New Zealand Clutterbucks

Offline Derekshep

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Clutterbucks
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 12:58 BST (UK) »
Hi I have an Anna Clutterbuck abt 1603 that my have married a Thomas Webb 1597 clothier of Bisley. Can you confirm this. I have Anna as d of Jasper and Margaret Halliday Thanks Derek

Offline treemad

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 18:54 BST (UK) »
yes Anna is the daughter of Jasper and Margaret Halliday but I don't have a record of who that Anna married.

You may be correct.

Offline JMStrachan

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 28 May 13 19:00 BST (UK) »
This caught my eye, as the Horse & Pony Rescue Centre I do voluntary work for here in Leeds, Yorkshire used to be run by Norma Clutterbuck, who died in about 2006. She was well known in north Leeds but sadly was banned from keeping animals and the current Trust took it over in 2004. So there must be a Clutterbuck line here in Leeds.

I'm not connected, but thought you might find it useful.
AYRSHIRE - Strachan, McCrae, Haddow, Haggerty, Neilson, Alexander
ABERDEENSHIRE (Cruden and Longside) - Fraser, Hay, Logan, Hutcheon or Hutchison, Sangster
YORKSHIRE (Worsbrough) - Green, Oxley, Firth, Cox, Rock
YORKSHIRE (Royston and Carlton) - Senior, Simpson, Roydhouse, Hattersley

Offline columbine48

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 October 14 13:19 BST (UK) »
My other half has a 3 x Great Grandmother called Ann Clutterbuck.  She was the wife of a Weaver, James Clutterbuck, born in Viney Hill, Awre, in The Forest of Dean.  James was born about 1790.
His occupation was on their daughter Elizabeth's baptism record.

Somewhere I have read the suggestion that the name originated from a "Clattering Brook" (i.e. someone who lived by a noisy brook!)  This may be the origin of some Clutterbucks! 

However, there is a large Clutterbuck "tribe" who come from the Forest of Dean in Gloucestershire.  (My husband's relatives.) They are thought to have originally been Dutch- speaking people from Flanders, who were Christian Non-Conformists, (Calvinists) and highly skilled silk weavers (like the French Huguenots) who fled persecution from Catholic mainland Europe, and came to England.  We had removed Catholicism as the head church of our nation, so we were more tolerant of Non-Conformists.  (Though not entirely so.)

I have discovered that in Flanders, there was once a small hamlet or village (which is known of by locals, but no longer on the map) called CLOERTERBOOKE.  This family of Flemish weavers who settled in the Forest of Dean are thought to be from this village, so get their name from there!  The spelling of "CLUTTERBUCK" is thought to be a simplified or more pronounceable version of the Dutch/Flemish name.  The second or third generation would have been more likely than the first to have started using the Anglicized version.  If they themselves hadn't changed it, most likely the educated clerks filling in their Baptism, Marriage and Death registrations would have spelt it in the way they thought it should be spelt!  (Not the Dutch or Flemish way!!)

The highly skilled silk weavers who came to England from mainland Europe apparently taught the English to make much finer fabrics.  They were hand-weavers to begin with.  Apparently we used techniques learned from these French Huguenots and Flemish silk weavers, to combine with our existing, (and much more coarse) cotton, wool and linen weaving, to produce the superior and luxurious fabrics that made our textiles world famous.  The resulting demand for them lead to the growth of the large (first water then steam-powered) cotton mills - thereby contributing to our Industrial Revolution!

Be proud - Gloucestershire CLUTTERBUCKS.

Offline RayWitt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 28 July 19 10:18 BST (UK) »
This is very interesting indeed.
My husband is a descendent of William George Clutterbuck who came to Australia with his wife Elizabeth Ann Growden. William was born and married in London, but I believe his father George was from Gloucestershire.
I have traced their lives here in Australia, but if anyone has more information about the family - especially before they came to Australia, I would love to know.