Author Topic: Abigail - One name study  (Read 5547 times)

Offline cyril harris

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Abigail - One name study
« on: Saturday 24 July 04 20:32 BST (UK) »
I am conducting a one name study re Abigail and will share information.

Offline Quant

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Abigail - One name study
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 15 December 11 21:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi joined very recently Abigail Family lived at Smallburgh Village in Norfolk. Some of family Buried in St Peter Church Yard Smallburgh, my wifes mother was an Abigail from Smallburgh,  grave stones  from late 1800s.  Best Qant 

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 January 12 11:08 GMT (UK) »

Hi, I've got an ABIGAIL line going back to John S ABIGAIL b. approx 1806 in Gt Yarmouth.  My connection is with the ABIGAILs living in Smallburgh/Hickling/Worstead, so possibly a connection with your ABIGAILs Qant?

Best wishes,

Nick

Offline rmattabigail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 17:22 BST (UK) »
I am an Abigail living in Dallas, Texas. There are several of us living in Dallas. I know that my family was from Hickling, Norfolk.

My great-great grandfather George Oswald Abigail (1883-1940) Came to New York in 1906, followed by brothers Otto, Mervyn, and Wilfred. Their parents were William Witham Abigail and Mary Bell. William Witham Abigail's parents were George Abigail and Jane (Grimes?). That is as far I've gotten with 100% certainty, though I suspect I can go a little further.

Any information you can share on the Abigails of Hickling will be very appreciated, as I don't have great access to English records and it seems that all the Abigail families cycled through the same 7 names, so pinpointing which begat which has been tough.

Hopefully I can reciprocate with something. I have plenty to share about the Abigails in America

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 23 July 13 23:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, we must be related then as I'm a first cousin (several times removed) of George Oswald ABIGAIL.  He is a great-grandson of the John S ABIGAIL (b.~1806 @ Gt Yarmouth) I mentioned in my previous post.

I had already found the American link, though not Dallas, and have partially tracked the four brothers in the US (Otto was William Otto?), but only got limited information on them so far.  Were you aware there is also a sister Gertrude (b.1896) and brothers Stanley Redvers (b.1900 d.1902) and Stanley (b.1904)?

Mary BELL's  (b.1863) parents were Robert BELL (1816-1900) and Ann VINCENT (c.1820-1899) both of which I've researched fairly extensively.  Jane was a GRIMES, born 1825 Felmingham, Norfolk, Eng.

And have you got details on George's wife? She was Hannah Rosetta NUDD (b.1881) from another established Hickling family.

I'm happy to share the information I've collected, it would be easier to do so by email - I can send you my address in a PM, but I think you might need to make a couple more posts before you are able to use the PM option (I can't remember as it has been a while since I last came on here).

I'd also be very interested to find out more about the Abigails in America  :)

Offline rmattabigail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 05:32 BST (UK) »
Wow, thank you for the response!

I am not sure what you mean by PM option - I am a first time user of this site. I wish there was a way we could just exchange emails.

In fact, I have a dummy email account that I don't mind being seen in public. I use it whenever I need to sign up for something. Perhaps you could email me your contact info to that address, and then I can give you my actual email, and we can get an actual dialogue going, if that suits you. 

Offline rmattabigail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 05:36 BST (UK) »
I suspected I was descended from a John Shore (or Shaw?) Abigail, but couldn't be sure. I'd like to go as far back as possible, though.

What I have so far is:

George Oswald and Hannah Nudd-->William Witham (Wilham?) and Mary Bell-->George and Jane Grimes-->John S. and Elizabeth-->Charles and Anna Maria Sutton-->Edmund and Anne.

Is this close?

Offline rmattabigail

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 06:00 BST (UK) »
I'd also love to have any biographical detail - occupation, religion, etc.

Anyways, here's just a tidbit on the American Abigails - I have much, much more.

George Oswald (1883-1940) Came to New York several times between 1902 and 1906. He brought brother William Otto (he went by Otto) back with him in 1904, and brother Mervyn and his new wife Hannah Rosetta Nudd (She went by the name Rose here in U.S.) in 1906.

They all settled in Rochester, New York (Specifically in Pittsford, and then East Rochester). Otto eventually moved to Cleveland, and there was also a brother Wilfred living in Fairport, NY in 1940, though I do not know when he crossed.

George Oswald's children were:

1) Florence Bessie (1912-?) who married Allan Steffan of Fairport,NY

2) George William (1907-1937) who married Gertrude Julia Murphy (1906-1976). They lived in Albany, NY.

George William's son is George Robert (1931-2011) Who is my grandfather. His sons (my dad and uncles) all live in Texas. He also has one daughter in North Carolina.

There is plenty more to share...that was just to get the connection from A to ME

Offline Nick_Ips

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 24 July 13 12:30 BST (UK) »

Got your PM ok, will reply by email.

Nick