Author Topic: I Need Help! Just One side of Family!  (Read 7081 times)

Offline suzyblu

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
I Need Help! Just One side of Family!
« on: Thursday 02 February 06 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please help me in anyway???

Having a problem with just one side of my family as most people do!!!

Here is what I have::

Francis Carswell died 01.11.1949, aged 55 (dundee), married 1920 aged 24 can't find birthmarried Mary Reilly but can't find her birth, died in 1977 or 1978

Parents: Peter Carswell - no info
               Elizabeth McNamara - died 04.09.1931 aged 60 can't find birth

Can't find there marriage certificate - could they not be married and just taken his name as she married again in 1908 to edward Carrigan (shown on death certificate) But Peter was shown alive on Francis's marriage cert.

So stuck, anyone have any idea where I can start, its the only part I am struggling with at moment. (hope this makes sense)

Thanks
Susan
 :(

Offline runner

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: I Need Help! Just One side of Family!
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 02 February 06 21:15 GMT (UK) »
Hello Susan

do you know where they were in 1901? If so you should look at the census for the family.
ScotlandsPeople have marriages right up to 1930 . perhaps the spelling they were recorded under was different to the one you tried !

Various sites have good advice on how to get the best out of SP using wildcards instead of some of the letters so that various spellings will be identified. Have a read through them  too.

Russell
1941-2016
Oman in Caithness, Reside in Renfrewshire,
Roan or Rowan Kirkcudbrightshire/Ayrshire
Watsons in Kilrenny and Mortons in Edinburgh.

Offline suzyblu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 February 06 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Russell

I can't find any reference of them in 1901.  I have tried every variation of the spelling of Carswell, its like he just doesn't exist.  I can't even find a death cert.

Back to the drawing board....

Susan

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 February 06 03:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,

What were the names of Elizabeth MCNAMARA's parents from the death cert?

When you say that Peter was shown as alive on Francis's marriage cert, I guess that should more accurately say that he wasn't shown as deceased - and that info is far from always reliable.

There are not many Peter CARSWELL deaths on SP - have you looked at the list and the individual certs?

Incidentally, I wonder whether the family might have hailed from Ireland?  For persons of Irish extraction, often Peter and Patrick are interchangeable ...  And, of course, if they are from Ireland all earlier events might have taken place there ...

A free search on SP in the 1901 shows that there are only 3 Francis CARSWELLs, 6 Peter CARSWELLs and 27 Elizabeth CARSWELLs - if you were to find a Francis and a Peter, or a Francis and an Elizabeth, at the same reference no and of appropriate ages that could well be them.  But I assume you've already tried this ...

Have you downloaded the 1908 marriage cert of Edward CARRIGAN and Elizabeth MCNAMARA - this might give some clues?  And should at least list Elizabeth's parents.

JAP

Offline suzyblu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 03 February 06 14:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jap

Thanks for help.

Elizabeth's McNamaras parents were Thomas and Helen McNamara - her maiden name as well.  They were married in 1861 in Clyde lanark, but cant find elizabeths birth cert.  Her death cert didn't show anything but it did record her as a spinster.

The 1901 census doesn't match although one for Francis Carswell doesn't show the  head of household as I think it is on the previous page.  Nothing seems to match for Peter like he didn't exist or changed name.  Maybe elizabeth moved to Ireland got married to Peter and had Francis and then moved back to Scotland?? Its possible I suppose....but census don't match.

Then Francis married Mary Reilly and can't find her either, just her marriage, her parents were James Reilly and Mary Barrett/Barnett.

I suppose I will keep looking..

Susan

Offline JAP

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 February 06 16:22 GMT (UK) »
Adding to the excellent suggestions already made on this thread, some of which are still to be answered or followed up ...

There are a number of children in the IGI in the right time frame to a Thomas MCNAMARA and Helen/Ellen MCNAMARA.

Searching for these on censuses (and birthplaces of them and their parents) might help - added to their birth certs.  Of course, this might be expensive.

Good luck,

JAP

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 February 06 12:14 GMT (UK) »
Can anyone please help me in anyway???
Francis Carswell died 01.11.1949, aged 55
Parents: Peter Carswell - no info
               Elizabeth McNamara - died 04.09.1931 aged 60 can't find birth
Does the certificate say "Elizabeth Carswell M. S. McNamara" or "Elizabeth McNamara"? If the latter, it implies that Francis was illegitimate. In which case try looking for a birth of Francis McNamara in about 1894, mother Elizabeth McNamara.

Quote from: JAP
There are a number of children in the IGI in the right time frame to a Thomas MCNAMARA and Helen/Ellen MCNAMARA.
The IGI lists 10 children to this couple (unless there were two couples of the same name having children at the same time - some of the births are very close together). The older ones were born in Scotland, and the younger in Ireland, and there is no sign of any of them in the 1881 census, so it may be that theye were in Ireland at that time, and that Elizabeth was born in Ireland.

The children include a Thomas, born 1870, and a John, born 1872, both in West Calder, Midlothian, suggesting that the family may have been there during the time of the 1871 census. Why not have a look at that? Also try the 1891 in case they had returned to Scotland by then. You presumably have approximate ages for Thomas and Helen from their 1861 marriage certificate?

A free search on SP in the 1901 shows that there are only 3 Francis CARSWELLs, 6 Peter CARSWELLs and 27 Elizabeth CARSWELLs
Have you tried Cresswell/Gresswell? I have found at least one whose name was variously spelled Carswell and Cresswell, and it isn't a huge leap from Cresswell to Gresswell.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline suzyblu

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 February 06 13:43 GMT (UK) »
Does the certificate say "Elizabeth Carswell M. S. McNamara" or "Elizabeth McNamara"? If the latter, it implies that Francis was illegitimate. In which case try looking for a birth of Francis McNamara in about 1894, mother Elizabeth McNamara.

Their son's marriage cert says Elizabeth McNmamara 'Ms McNamara' but can't find her wpuld have been born in 1871.  Her parents were married in Glasgow.

Quote from: JAP
The IGI lists 10 children to this couple (unless there were two couples of the same name having children at the same time - some of the births are very close together). The older ones were born in Scotland, and the younger in Ireland, and there is no sign of any of them in the 1881 census, so it may be that theye were in Ireland at that time, and that Elizabeth was born in Ireland.

The children include a Thomas, born 1870, and a John, born 1872, both in West Calder, Midlothian, suggesting that the family may have been there during the time of the 1871 census. Why not have a look at that? Also try the 1891 in case they had returned to Scotland by then. You presumably have approximate ages for Thomas and Helen from their 1861 marriage certificate?

I think 7 of the children match up, the ones in Ireland dont match.

[Have you tried Cresswell/Gresswell? I have found at least one whose name was variously spelled Carswell and Cresswell, and it isn't a huge leap from Cresswell to Gresswell.]

Tried all the variations I can think of.  Peter Carswell doesn't exsist accept on his marriage cert.

I will keep trying

Susan

Offline dkmcad

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 16 February 06 19:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi Susan,

Found this family on the 1901 census - Liff & Benvie, Dundee - Lochee

Mrs Carswell Head W.33 Laundrywoman Born Lanark Glasgow
Nelly Dau. 15 Jute Mill Worker Lanark, Glasgow
John Son 13  Lanark Glasgow
James 3 Forfarshire, Lochee
Matilda 8 Forfarshire, Dundee
Francis 6 Forfarshire, Dundee
Caroline 4 Forfarshire, Dundee
All at 49 Burnside Street, on two different pages.

31 Burnside
Elizabeth Carswell Lodger 14 Lodger Jute Worker  Forfarshire, Dundee

There doesn't seem to be a Peter in the area, but "Mrs" Carswell is recorded as being a widow. 

If you would like me to send copies of these, pm me.   

Regards,
Dorothy