Author Topic: Cherry Knowles  (Read 1534 times)

Offline Leet72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cherry Knowles
« on: Thursday 06 November 14 20:04 GMT (UK) »
Evening everyone

I’m knew to this so bare with me. I have recently started delving into retracing my family history, and this has led me to a place all of my relatives knew as Cherry Knowle near Ryhope (i think). I was born in Sunderland but moved away as a youngster, although all of my family still remain.

My Great Grandmother was committed (if that was the correct term) after she had given birth to her last baby. The family are led to believe that she developed ‘Baby Blues’ and was interned into ‘Cherry Knowles’.

Is there any way I could look up to see if she was ever released back into public life? Her name was Alice McGarley.

Thanks for reading.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Cherry Knowles
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 06 November 14 20:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat

What year was the last child born?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 06 November 14 20:22 GMT (UK) »
Was her husband Philip?  If so - the marriage was in 1885 and she was Alice Webster Jobling born 1864 Sunderland
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 06 November 14 20:25 GMT (UK) »
She was still in the household in 1901.  The free 1911 index has an entry for an Alice McGarley in Sunderland b 1867 so she must have been admitted post 1911

Deaths September qtr 1926   
Alice McGarley    aged 57    Sunderland    10a   542

A copy of her death cert will tell you whether she died inside or outside of Cherry Knowle

http://newcastlephotos.blogspot.co.uk/2008/05/cherry-knowle-hospital-sunderland.html

Offline Leet72

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 06 November 14 20:36 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Carole for this. I have already ordered my Grandmother’s Birth certificate so will order my Great Grandmother death certificate in the next couple of days.