Author Topic: McAngus, McKenzie & Tarrel, Hilton of Cadboll  (Read 42523 times)

Offline wbalfour

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McAngus, McKenzie & Tarrel, Hilton of Cadboll
« Reply #18 on: Friday 12 August 11 05:41 BST (UK) »
Hi:  I'm new to this website and so I'm not sure if I am responding to Tom Brunton or hiltonladdie (maybe the same person).  I grew up in Hilton and recall as a small boy after WWII going along King St., to get the newspaper at Davidge's shop.  "Aly-Uisdean" had a small dog which used to run out and bark at me and scared me!  The name Tommy Brunton rings familiar.  I should welcome corresponding with others interested in Hilton.  Walter Balfour (formerly of 14 King St.); (*)

(*) Moderator Comment: Personal details removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

The Rootschat personal message system will be automatically activated when a member has made two or three posts on the boards. See Help-Page: http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline hiltonladdie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 12 August 11 07:34 BST (UK) »
Aye; Hilton Laddie and Tommy Brunton are the one and the same, Aly-uisdean's curly blond haired grandson ,who lived at 2 King St during the war.(now old,dark brown and grey,and bald) My mother was Alexander and Annie MacAngus's daughter Alice MacAngus , who met and married my father Andrew Brunton when he came as member of the  Canadian Cameron Highlanders of Winnipeg to visit his uncle Gordon Crawford the school headmaster. My granny Annie's brother William Tarrel was a Black Watch lieutenant in WW1 and a school headmaster as well. A young picture of me with my mother ,and one of my mother Alice with two of her her brothers and sisters ,my uncle Alexander MacAngus (lost at sea WW2) and my aunt Ina MacAngus. There were in the family also Bella , Jess, Annie , John, Davey , Hughie and Don
Macangus

Offline hiltonladdie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 12 August 11 07:57 BST (UK) »
my uncle Don playing the pipes at my wedding and  on the left  my uncle during the war Hugh MacAngus,  my mother's brother,who served in the Royal Navy and was based at HMS Collingwood, Fareham, Hants - X 9986 B and the other two sailors I do not know

Offline wbalfour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 12 August 11 16:21 BST (UK) »
I wonder if the Don McAngus, Winnipeg that you mention was the boy who used to do chores (like chopping wood for kindling) for my mother during the war.  Walter.

Offline hiltonladdie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Friday 12 August 11 21:56 BST (UK) »
YES HE WAS TOO YOUNG TO SERVE. HE WAS AWARDED THE QUEEN'S JUBILEEE MEDAL FOR SERVICE TO THE CITY OF WINNIPEG AND LEFT A MULTI MILLION DOLLAR COMPANY

Offline wbalfour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Saturday 13 August 11 16:38 BST (UK) »
Tom.  Thanks for the wonderful info.  I found a long obit for your uncle Don on the web.  I also appreciate all the details on family history.  It would be great to piece together the Hilton families. I have a copy of "My Uncle George".  Another good read is "Down to the Sea" by Jessie Macdonald - the full text is on the web.  Since you mention Gordon Crawford I am attaching an item on him.  A lengthy obit appeared in the Ross-shire Journal 25 Sept 1952.  In the photo of Hilton braefoot I believe your grandfather's house is the one with the red brick gateway.  Cheers, Walter.

Offline wbalfour

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Saturday 13 August 11 16:49 BST (UK) »
Gordon Crawford

Offline GDub71

• RootsChat Member
  • Miaow¬
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Saturday 13 August 11 21:19 BST (UK) »
Hi Tom, I thought your Uncle Don McAngus was killed on the Royal Oak at Scapa Flow, but I see I must have mixed up my Donald McAngus's somehow.

By the way, I've traced back the Hawaiian McAngus line to an Andrew McAngus, Uncle of Uisdean. See, they are all connected somehow. I'll talk to you soon!

:)
Banffshire - WILSON, RIACH, CALDER, MUIRY, PETERKIN, CRAIB, OGG, CRUICKSHANK, FARQUHAR, COPLAND, HAY, SHAW, HIND, STRATHDEE, MORRISON, WISEMAN, MOIR, MILNE, SHEPHERD, BLACK, BRUCE, RAMSAY, PEARSON, MCPHERSON, SHEED, MCANDIE
Morayshire - MAVER, RAMSAY, PHINN, SIMPSON
Aberdeenshire - MCINTOSH, GILLAN
Kincardineshire - DUTHIE
Ross-shire - MCANGUS, MCKENZIE, TARRELL,
Inverness-shire - MACKAY, FERGUSON, MACCUISH, BEATON, GILLIES, MACDONALD, MACVICAR, MACDIARMID
Louth - KIERAN, KANE, ENGLISHBY, FEGAN

Offline hiltonladdie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Saturday 13 August 11 22:20 BST (UK) »
my mom's first cousin Seaman Donald (Dan) MacAngus , age 19 , was killed on the Royal Oak ,and what a handsome young man he was !!! Our other Don MacAngus was my mom's youngest brother who was sponsored to come to Canada by my mom and dad in 1949 and went on to great things in Winnipeg