Author Topic: Help needed re regiment from Roseneath Dunbartonshire  (Read 1501 times)

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed re regiment from Roseneath Dunbartonshire
« Reply #9 on: Friday 19 April 13 09:20 BST (UK) »
Great Pic,
The soldier sitting is Royal Artillery, The kilt on grandpa Grant looks like McKenzie, though sometimes the studio colouring artist took a bit of "artistic" licence, other regiments also wore this tartan such as the Seaforth Highlanders, HLI and without badges or other info it is difficult to say which regiment for sure.
The Seaforth Highlanders recruited mainly in Ross-Shire, Sutherland, Caithness, Orkney and Moray as well as Outer Hebrides, Grant clan lands were generally in the Morayshire area.
Did he survive ww1?

James

Offline fraser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 19 April 13 18:16 BST (UK) »
James,

Thanks for taking the time to try and identify this regiment.  He did survive and I knew him quite well but of course was not interested in such things then.

My aunt, grandpa's daughter who is the last of his family still alive is not sure either.  She now thinks that a cousin may have taken something belonging to him.  I will try and get him to jog his memory.

Sandra

Offline fraser1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed re regiment from Roseneath Dunbartonshire - Completed
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 15 November 14 22:29 GMT (UK) »
Update.

Thanks to last weekends free access to military records I was able to find Medal Index Card Transcription.  The regiment was the Seaforth Highlanders.

Sandra

Offline macintosh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 16 November 14 07:36 GMT (UK) »
Good, nice to have closure on a "quest" in family history, coincidentally I was recently looking at the memorial to a Seaforth Highlander from my father's village of Avoch Ross-shire.

James