Author Topic: Greyhound Inn, Kidderminster, Mountford=Breakwell  (Read 4408 times)

Offline Mogman44

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Greyhound Inn, Kidderminster, Mountford=Breakwell
« on: Tuesday 27 May 14 09:40 BST (UK) »
Hi folks,

In the census of 1911 Elizabeth MOUNTFORD (nee BREAKWELL) (1875approx - ??) and her son George (1900-??) are living at the Greyhound Inn, Franche, Kidderminster. Elizabeth is shown as "married" but her husband George MOUNTFORD (1876 approx - ??) is not present. George & Elizabeth were born in Netherton near Dudley, they were married in 1900 in Kinver where son George was born. Elizabeth Breakwell came from a family of publicans and George MOUNTFORD from a background of butchers.

After this 1911 entry I loose track of them all. Does anyone have any information about the publicans at the Greyhound Inn or of George (snr) or (jnr) or Elizabeth?

Had George (snr) died or left the family?  Any clues very welcome.

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Greyhound Inn, Kidderminster, Mountford=Breakwell
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 10:59 BST (UK) »
Good Morning
I've got a little info .
George Mountford Junior was registered with the middle name Breakwell and there is a death that would fit.
George B Mountford Rowley Regis Sep 1951 age 50 9b 292
The appropriate probate of 1952 gives his name as George Breakwell Mountford.
Died 23 Sep 1951 at Burton House ,Burton road Dudley.Usual address 16 Parkfield road Stourbridge .Probate granted at Birmingham to Kathleen Josephine Mountford widow £925 5s 1d

There is a marriage in Birmingham North Mar 1926 6d 588 to a Kathleen J Hardie
They seem to have had 2 children one at Birmingham N and one at Kingswinford.(Iwon't post their names in case they are still alive).
Kathleen Josephine Mountford died in Dudley Oct 1996 born 24 July 1903

In 1930 they are living next to no 34 Copeley hill Erdington on the Electoral roll.
Not finding much on Elizabeth.

There is a possible for George Senior
Passenger list Liverpool to Montreal 21.9.1906 on Virginian
George Mountford age 30 butcher going to Ottawa.
No sign of him 1911 Canadian census.

Ciderdrinker
ps Kidderminster Library has a pub index with photos and landlord info on each of their pub and inns.The Greyhound should be on it.

Offline Mogman44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 May 14 16:46 BST (UK) »
Hello Ciderdrinker, thank you.

I grew up in Kiddy in the 1950s and 60s but now live in Scotland so access to Kiddy Library is not as easy as it was.

That all fits beautifully with what I have so far. It looks as though for whatever reason George MOUNTFORD went to Canada leaving Elizabeth and George (jnr) behind.  I then have a gap in what happened to her but in 1917 she had a son, Joseph, by Joseph BROWN who lived on Copeley Hill, Erdington. That ties perfectly with the address you gave me for 1930. Joseph BROWN (snr) had been a widower since 1914 when he still lived in Kidderminster and had a number of butchers shops. Did he marry Elizabeth and she predeceased him?

In his will (1936) Joseph BROWN of "The Laurels", Copeley Hill, now a nursing home, refers to this younger Joseph as "the son of his late wife" but the child was registered in 1917 as Joseph MOUNTFORD (birth Q2 1917 Walsall V6b P1151). Later in his life in Kidderminster Joseph (jnr) uses the name BROWN, marries in that name and has children in that name. Also in his will, Joseph (snr) leaves a "bungalow on Copeley Hill to one of his children, this could be the house where you found him?

Thank you once again for your help.

Offline Mogman44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 June 14 09:31 BST (UK) »
Hi Ciderdrinker, I've now had an opportunity to look further into your findings and you are quite correct, my George Mountford (snr) did emigrate to Canada on the ship you found. I cannot find him in the 1911 census for Ottawa but he is in the 1922 census with his new wife/partner. I then found his obituary from 1946 which mentions his sister back in England and sure enough the details match the family my George (snr) grew up with in Netherton, Dudley. I cannot find a trace of George marrying the lady he lives with in Ottawa until she dies in 1929, maybe because he knows he is still married to his first wife Elizabeth back in England? He then "married" again and is buried with this second lady in Ottawa.

Thanks again.

Offline J.J.

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census Crown © www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 10 August 14 03:51 BST (UK) »
Well he may have had a gal previously, as this is probably your George in 1911 with an Ann and a daughter Sarah...
but I think the daughter may have been hers...and they took his name for the census, as i see no marriage, births that coincide...

also he's in Ottawa and is foreman - in a Pork Factory, so you may want to check this one out as well... http://www.automatedgenealogy.com/census11/SplitView.jsp?id=4698
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner" J.J.

Canadian  census  transcribed  data  ©2005 www.AutomatedGenealogy.com

Offline Janem67

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 20:51 BST (UK) »
I can see that this thread is very old, but my 2nd Great Aunt Leonora Austin used to be landlady of the Greyhound in the 1930s

Offline StintonLomas

• RootsChat Senior
  • I'm a Cousin - are you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 April 18 22:33 BST (UK) »
Hi
Those researching residents/landlords of the Greyhound may  find this photo of interest.
http://www.closedpubs.co.uk/worcestershire/kidderminster_greyhound.html
Malmesbury- Bishop.
Gloucestershire-Bishop,Hicks,Higgs,Hill,Hooper,Hopkins,Pitcher,Robertson,Stinton,Terret,Woodruff.
Worcestershire-Stinton. 
Devon- Borrough or Burrow.

Offline Mogman44

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 12 April 18 13:58 BST (UK) »
Hi Folks, it's been a while since I started this thread and it has suddenly come to life again.
In the meantime I traced Elizabeth MOUNTFORD (nee BREAKWELL) of the Greyhound to a marriage with Joseph BROWN of Kidderminster in 1926, they lived in Birmingham and had a son named Joseph.