Author Topic: Hanbury/Severn Stoke marriages 1817 - 1819  (Read 2286 times)

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Hanbury/Severn Stoke marriages 1817 - 1819
« on: Monday 08 September 14 12:17 BST (UK) »
I recently located a marriage on the Family Search website for the marriage of Richard Davis to Mary Everite which took place on 30th December 1817 & the place of marriage was given as Hanbury, Severn-Stoke, Worcestershire. Severn-Stoke is actually about 17 miles away from Hanbury so the place of marriage is quite puzzling. There is another small village around two miles from Hanbury by the name of Stoke Prior.
At first I thought that it was perhaps a one off mistake on the Family Search website but on carrying out another search giving no names & just asking for marriages in Hanbury, Severn-Stoke in Worcestershire I actually found a good number of marriages listed upon the site in this way.
Interestingly, all of these marriages seem to fall into a period of around 1817 - 1819.
So, could something have happened to the church in Hanbury perhaps making unsafe for a while forcing their services to be held elsewhere for a couple of years or is this just a mistake?
Even if another church had to be used on a temporary basis for services then it would make more sense for it to have been a closer church rather than one that was 17 miles away.
If anyone can shed any light on this I would be most grateful.
Thank you.

Online Kay99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Hanbury/Severn Stoke marriages 1817 - 1819
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 September 14 13:06 BST (UK) »
Personally I would think is just a mistake.   If you search on FamilySearch for any marriages births or deaths at Hanbury Severn Stoke there are a batch all about the same time around 1819.  I can check next time I am in the Hive

Kay

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 September 14 14:05 BST (UK) »
Thank you, if you do ever get the chance to do that it would be much appreciated.

Offline Eastbury

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 19:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Treefan
Kay’s right it is a mistake on Family Search. The Worcestershire Marriage Index at the Hive indicates that Richard Davis married Mary Everill on 30 December 1817 at Hanbury. I had hoped to check the original Parish register but for some reason there is only a typed transcript for the period in which the marriage took place. The transcript  gives the bride’s surname as Everitt and the witnesses as John Everitt and Thomas Grasier. Next time I go to the Hive I can check to see if the copy known as the Bishop’s Transcript has survived, then perhaps it will clear up whether Mary’s surname was Everill or Everitt.

Jack

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 10 September 14 19:46 BST (UK) »
Jack, that was so kind of you to check up on this puzzle for me. It's great to know for sure that the marriage really did take place in Hanbury & I am truly grateful to you.
Thank you.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 September 14 10:57 BST (UK) »
Hi there

I wondered if it would help at all if I gave you a list of contiguous parishes to Hanbury they are
Bradley,Dormston,Kington,Grafton Flyford, Himbleton, Hadzor, Doderhill, Stoke Prior, Tardebigge, Feckenham, Inkberrow.

All the very best

Phil
Weston-super-Mare (Born Worcester City)
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin

Offline Treefan

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 September 14 11:16 BST (UK) »
Phil, that's a great help  ~  thank you so much.  I don't know the area myself but it's good to be told of the surrounding parishes which will be a help to me when researching.
Thanks again,
Jan.

Offline philheeks

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My Grandfather, Frank William Gomm
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 27 September 14 11:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Jan

I was born in Worcester City & lived in the county for 26 years till we moved to Weston-super-Mare in 1970

Good hunting

All the very best

Phil
Worcestershire - Heeks, Maiden, Pinchin, Hartland, Tredwell, Holliday, Morton, Collins, Aldington, Saunders
Oxfordshire - Gomm, Hamblet, Austin, Winter,
Herefordshire - Lowe
Radnor - Lowe, Powell
Gloucestershire - Holliday, Pinchin