Author Topic: Guernsey or Jersey McCafferty  (Read 4455 times)

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Guernsey or Jersey McCafferty
« on: Wednesday 26 March 14 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone

This is my first time researching Channel Islands (also using iPad) . I have an ancestor Mary Ann McCafferty, she is recorded on census pages as being born in either JErsey or Guernsey (mostly Jersey). She married Robert Hazell in Kingston Ontario CAnada in 1848 , Robert was in the a Royal Artillery, the appear in England in 1851 onwards (although I haven't found them on the 1861 census)- he may have been posted overseas. The marriage certificate is one that was recorded by the army and it doesn't have Mary Ann's fathers name on it , I did think that it would have to be recorded in the England and Wales records but I can't find it there . I tried family search to see if I could find her birth there but have only come across a birth for a Charles McCafferty in 1848, MAry being born in 1828 according to census pages. Any tips on how to research or find any information on Mary? I realise that her name is not usual of the Channel Islands. I found one on the 1841 census spelt Mickafferty living with a family called Le Coq in st HElier. Sorry for bad typing . Any help appreciated

Carol
O'GRADY - DUBLIN,TIPPERARY,& ENGLAND
DOOLEY - TIPPERARY, CO LAOIS
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
HARRIS- CLARE, CORK, & ENGLAND
BLANEY, DOYLE FURLONG -  WEXFORD
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Guernsey or Jersey McCafferty
« Reply #1 on: Monday 31 March 14 20:31 BST (UK) »
hi carol
I can give you another headache , I,ve found 4 different vol and page numbers for a mary a mcafferty born 1828 jersey in the gro regimental birth indices 1761-1924 , here goes
vol ra18  page 97
vol ra 19 page 57
vol rA 17 PAGE 114
vol ra 20 page 45
there are 2 more but they are duplicates of 2 of these , now I have come across duplicates before but never 4 different vol and page numbers for what appears to be the same person .
all I can suggest is that you contact the gro directly and ask if someone can check these vol and page numbers to see if somehow they are the same person or not
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 31 March 14 22:38 BST (UK) »
Hi Trevor

wow thanks for that (actually dont mind headaches that have some substance) as I couldnt find one at all ! thank you so much , isnt it strange though ! Where did you find them ?

Carol  :)
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

OTHER NAME INTERESTS - MORAN ,CORBETT, LILLIS, MCGERRY, MCNAMARA, MCGRANE, BRENNAN.....All County Clare & Scattery Island

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 31 March 14 23:19 BST (UK) »
...I wonder if the births of children were recorded more than once ? I mean as regiments moved around to new postings , maybe they were recorded each time ..
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE

Offline t mo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 01 April 14 10:33 BST (UK) »
hi carol
I,m more inclined to think that the same birth has been written up in different army registers knowing what the forces are like for paperwork [ everything in triplicate ] and no ones bothered to cross reference them , yes regts moved about but not that quick they wouldn,t have had time to take there boots off in this case  ;D, plus if anyone asked the mother or father would surely say that the babe had been registered.
like I said I think a call to the  gro is the way to go but even they may not know the reason why it,s happened .
regards
trevor
morters-cambs-norfolk   clements london    copas newington
went colchester essex    goodey essex -suffolk

Offline Cog

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Trevor

Roots was telling me I had new messages ...I hadnt been notified and Im sure I had answered you but didnt want to seem rude so answered just in case haha ...btw I stopped chewing the lap top found the cable more interesting .  :D
KAVANAGH - DUBLIN
FURLONG-WEXFORD
MELICAN- CLARE