Author Topic: London Inn, 34 Fore Street, Redruth  (Read 10013 times)

Offline John S.

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: London Inn, 34 Fore Street, Redruth
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 11 June 14 02:09 BST (UK) »
Thank you, that clarifies much.  If my relationship chart skills are working, that means that John #1 and John #2 were First Cousins, Once Removed.  It also means that John #1 and I are First Cousins, 5X Removed, while John #2 remains my Second Great Grandfather. 

There are sure a lot of John and Warren Trestrails in Redruth and environs!  But this helps a lot with this side of my Cornish forebears.  The other side is more difficult, since John #2's daughter Annie married William Williams (apparently of St. Blazey) with no thought to future genealogists!

It is sad about the London Inn.  From the land agent's site, it appears that the upper floor has been or will be converted to apartments, and the ground floor has been available for rent for over five years.  It would be cool if some arrangement could be made with the Red Lion for some kind of joint operation, and taking down the plywood would certainly improve Fore Street, but there may not be sufficient trade in the area to permit such an expansion.

Thanks again.

Offline londonscorpion

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 01 March 16 21:23 GMT (UK) »
I have a little more information on The London Inn gleaned from the 1939 census. The census refers to the Inn as the London Hotel at 34 Fore Street. At that time the Hotel was being managed by Mabel Louise Oaks and her husband James. They were assisted by James’ son, Arthur the victualler, Effie M Moon (Richards) the cook, and Elizabeth S Beard the waitress. There is also a sixth person whose name we do not know: they must have been born after 1916 because the record is locked.
Clark, Clarke, Batchelor, Diamond, Ruddick,
Yorkshire: Oaks, Denton, Sykes

Offline John S.

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 29 June 16 21:43 BST (UK) »
If anybody is still interested in this old thread, I have come upon a UK City Directory ("Kelly's Directory") from 1914 which shows that the proprietor of the London Inn, Redruth, was John Prideaux.

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 17:02 BST (UK) »

Yep, still looking for info (first post on this topic).

Looking at the photo I mentioned, it could have been taken about 1918 as my mum is just a small girl.
They had previously run a pub in Torquay, where my mother was born.

Of course they could have been managing it for the owners, would they have had to have a licence to just manage it?

Thanks very much to all interested in this.....
Pearce, Davies, Mulhall, Jesse, Savage.

Offline hanes teulu

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 August 16 17:46 BST (UK) »
There's an article in the Cornish Telegraph, 14 March 1907, that's well worth reading.

It identifies a Mrs Trestrail as the present freeholder, who had quit the place 14 years previously, since when there had been 11 transfers of licence.

The article is about the authorities objecting to the licence renewal.

Offline brenz1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 12 June 21 05:01 BST (UK) »
I know this is an old thread, but just wanted to add a bit more historical information.  It seems that my husband's 3x-great-uncle Samuel Lean was the innkeeper of the London Inn from at least 1841 until probably until his death in 1877. (His wife Jane died in 1870, and I haven't been able to find Samuel in the 1871 census to see if he is still in Fore St.).  Cheers.

Offline cowboysmate

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 14 June 21 13:49 BST (UK) »
Hello,
and thank you for posting on the above subject.  Still interested to hear anything about this, as it all helps to build up the picture.

My maternal grandparents continued to manage pubs for some years at least up to the first World War.  My mother was born in 1914 in the Meadfoot Inn in Torquay, for example.  They then moved to small shops on the south coast, ending up in Margate having both a shop and a b & b. 

Thanks again for contacting.
Regards.
Pearce, Davies, Mulhall, Jesse, Savage.