Author Topic: Could Colvin and Collie be the same?  (Read 4759 times)

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Could Colvin and Collie be the same?
« on: Tuesday 20 November 12 05:40 GMT (UK) »
Hello,
I'm new to Scottish research as most of my ancestors are English, so I'm hoping that someone might be able to shed light on a dilemma I have.  In a nutshell, these are the facts:

George and Jessie Anderson of Bervie had eight children between 1839 and 1856, and for each baptism (established church), Jessie's name is given as Jessie Colvin

The 1855 birth certificate of Alexander Anderson states that Jessie was married to George Anderson in Laurencekirk in 1836, but I have a record which says that in 1836 Laurencekirk, George Anderson married Margaret Colvin

George's death certificate of 1863 says that he was married to Jessie Collie and Jessie's death certificate of 1867 says that she is the widow of George Anderson, labourer of Bervie and that her parents were Robert Collie and Janet Beattie.

So I'm trying to verify that Jessie Colvin, Margaret Colvin and Jessie Collie are the same woman.  There is no evidence to suggest that Jessie Colvin died and George remarried to a Jessie Collie, but I suppose this is a possibility.  On census returns, and the 1855 certificate, Jessie says that she was born around 1812 in Fetterresso, but I cannot find a baptism of a Jessie (or Janet, Jean or Jane) or Margaret Colvin or Collie anywhere.  Her parents were married in Dunnottar, though.  Interestingly, I have evidence of a Robert Collie in Fetteresso who could be a brother and who also seems to switch back and forth between Collie and Colvin.  Familysearch and Scotland's People throw no light on the matter.

I do hope that someone can advise me on this matter!
Thank you,
Carolyn

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: Could Colvin and Collie be the same?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 20 November 12 13:39 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carolyn

I can't help with the issue of Colvin and Collie except to say that if you have someone else doing the same, such as the Robert you have found, it does give substance to the surname variantion perhaps.

Just on the issue of the possible family you have been looking at for Jessie, found this www.myheritage.com/person-1000404_141842132_141842132/robert-collie?show=family  This person seems to be following potentially another brother, John born c. 1812 in Stonehaven.

Monica  :)
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 03:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
Thanks for the reply.  Actually, I had seen the website you mentioned.  That's what led me to investigate Robert Collie.  I think perhaps I'll start looking at some more Collies/Colvins in the Fetteresso/Dunnottar area to see if there are any more that seem to use both names interchangeably.  I'm finding Scottish research quite different to English in several respects. 
Thanks again for responding,
Carolyn

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 08:13 GMT (UK) »
Hi Carolyn

One thing you might want to consider is to check the names of the witnesses to the children's christenings for George and Jessie. There may be something in the names to help you further. Original images from the OPRs are available on the pay to view site of Scotlands People - www.rootschat.com/links/0sa5/ for the children's entries.

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 16:53 GMT (UK) »
Good idea, Monica.  I do have the baptism entry for George and Jessie's son Charles Thomson Anderson in 1851 and that doesn't give the names of the witnesses, nor does that for his brother John in 1839...but that doesn't mean to say the children in between won't have their witnesses named.  This was a big help with the previous generation, where the witnesses are almost consistently named as David Anderson and Christian Murray.  David was George's brother and he married a Christian Murray, so I suspect this was John Anderson's sister-in-law.  I have a feeling that the Collies/Colvins may ahave attended the Episcopalian Church in Stonehaven, which is only covered on familysearch from 1756-1789 and doesn't appear to be on Scotland's People.

Thanks again for your suggestion
Carolyn

Offline Carolynxyz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 21 November 12 16:57 GMT (UK) »
Hi Monica,
The link you provided (actually to Familysearch) has picked up on the correct family.  George moved to Bervie and his son Charles Thomson Anderson left Scotland for Durham, possibly to work in the coalfields.  I keep thinking that Thomson name must tie in with family, but so far I haven't made a link.
carolyn