Author Topic: Banchory ternan  (Read 4291 times)

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Banchory ternan
« on: Tuesday 22 July 14 13:29 BST (UK) »
Would love to hear from anyone researching Banchory ternan areas ie  Burn of Bennie and Lightwood about 1841 - 1871.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Banchory ternan
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 18:51 BST (UK) »
Hi I have Taylor family in Burn of Bennie

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 22 July 14 20:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks for getting back to me.  I am researching John Reid, Tailor, who resided in Burn of Bennie in 1871.  I have managed to locate where he was actually living, ie at the bottom part of Burn of Bennie farm.
I am now trying to find roughly where he was from 1841 to 1861 and according to the census records it just states Lightwood which is an area continuing on from burn of bennie
I don't suppose you have managed to find a map which actually gives farms etc on it.  Before John Reid in the census records there is a farm Tapenroot, then Lightwood, and then the old school house.
Any maps I have seen have not listed Tapenroot.
Are you able to help please.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 10:38 BST (UK) »
Hi sorry I have not got a map of the any of the farms My Taylor/Skinner family in 1851 were in Burn of Bennie also Bridge of Bennie and Barn of Bennie ...I don't know if you are near Aberdeen as the Kings College have a lot of records of Tenants so they might have maps of the farms ..Also the Aberdeen Family History Centre in King Street might have something ...I have Taylors also Drumfrennie and Hirn farms ....

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 10:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks anyway. I am on holiday in Banchory at the moment, actually renting a cottage behind Bridge of Bennie house which was previously Burn of Bennie and I have just looked at the 1871 census, Robert Taylor Crofter and his wife Isabella were living here.  I have booked an appt at the Aberdeen Archives to look at some records and maybe they will have some old maps.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 11:18 BST (UK) »
Enjoy your stay in Banchory beautiful place to be hopefully you should get some useful information at the Aberdeen Archives ..Kings College also worth a visit good luck  :) :)

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 23 July 14 20:38 BST (UK) »
spent the afternoon looking at Kirk Session records which are now digitised but only available at archives with no luck but think I have more or less found roughly whereabouts of my John Reid and his wife Christian who lived there from 1841 until 1870. John was a tailor and his wife is listed as a shop keeper(blind) but no idea what she was selling whilst he was making suits etc.

Offline rosie17

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 24 July 14 10:58 BST (UK) »
You should maybe try the Aberdeen Family Centre on King street they are very helpful in there. I have a yearly membership £14 which is very good ...and they send you out a booklet about 4 times a year very good reading  :)

Offline jessienicolson

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 24 July 14 12:43 BST (UK) »
Thanks, I am a member and spent an afternoon there this  week, printing off census records for John Reid, tailor, in Banchory Ternan, and printing off pages before and after him. The archives have the digitised copies of the Kirk Session Minutes which the society were not aware of.