Author Topic: Thomas Shaw, shoemaker, b. abt 1819, d. 1887  (Read 5316 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Thomas Shaw, shoemaker, b. abt 1819, d. 1887
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 12:23 BST (UK) »
Can't see any Mary with this surname born ca.1833 Worcester.   

Difficult finding right marriage with such common names.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 15:55 BST (UK) »
Yes, I agree a Childs Birth Cert is really needed to get Mary Anns maiden name.

But there is a Mary WANKLIN, born c 1833 Bromsgrove with her Brother John and Wife in Birmingham in 1861 Census.
Surname is hard to read.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 16:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry for the delay in replying peeps, but I went out this morning for an hour and only just got home! 

Fabuloso findings everyone, thanks so much.

Am helping a friend with her tree and she's descended from Thomas and Mary Ann's daughter, Mary Ann, so will suggest we buy that birth certificate to confirm the mother's maiden name.

I'd searched for marriages between Thomas and Mary Ann, but like someone said upthread, these are common names, so quite difficult to sift the wheat from the chaff.  I'd seen the Wakeling/Wakelins option, but I hadn't found anyone likely on the 1861 census.

I'd also seen the "cordwainer" occupation on the 1841 census, but was too dim to connect cordwainer to shoemaker.  Doh!

Thanks again everybody.
STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)

Offline SmallTownGirl

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 25 June 14 17:37 BST (UK) »
While I'm waiting for friend to come back to me about ordering Mary Ann's birth certificate, could anyone help with James Shaw and Judith Somebody.

From the 1841 census, James was b. abt 1776 "in county".  The nearest (datewise and geographically) I can get from FS is one baptised 11 Feb 1776 in Church Gresley, s/o Jacob and Ann.

For Judith, the 1851 census says b. 1786 in Ticknall.  Again, from FS, there's a Judith Kerby, baptised 25 Dec 1785 in Ticknall, d/o Robert and Rebecca.

But I can't find a marriage of a James Shaw to a Judith/Judy/etc, or vice versa.  If she's from Ticknall, and they end up living in Smisby, the marriage can't be far away, can it?

I've found other children being baptised for them, the earliest is William on 9 Jul 1813 in Smisby, so that might help narrow down the window of opportunity for the wedding.

Anyone any ideas, please?
Thanks
STG

Always looking for GOODWINS in Berkshire :)