Author Topic: St Raphaels, Hill End Henbury  (Read 17386 times)

Offline IAFC

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
St Raphaels, Hill End Henbury
« on: Saturday 30 June 07 23:22 BST (UK) »
Hi

My wife is one of 5 possibly 6 children who were all adopted, she is now in contact with 3 of her siblings, having just found another sister. This sister was born in 1959, in Southmead Hospital. The mothers address on the birth certificate was St. Raphaels, Hill End, Henbury, it seems that this was a mother and baby home, probably Catholic. We know it closed circa 1976, does anyone have any info on the home or know where the records are kept?

Thanks in advance.

Regards

Ian Chambers

Online jorose

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St Raphaels, Hill End Henbury
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 July 07 23:40 BST (UK) »
Hmmm, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk catalogue shows in BN 62/3236 (BN62 being "Approved Schools and Remand and Voluntary Homes") - under subseries 'Convent of the Good Shepherd': Marian House, Hill End, Henbury, Bristol.  Dates are 1954-1963.

http://www.cliftoncathedral.org.uk/questions/answers/arnos.html - this makes it sound like they had two properties at Henbury, the second being at Severn House which became St. Raphael's - I wonder if 'Marian House' refers to the first?
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Alisamond

• RootsChat Pioneer
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 September 10 10:37 BST (UK) »
I have undertaken considerable research in trying to locate my cousin,her birth certificate reveals that my Aunt ( her mother) resided at St Raphaels mother and baby home.
I have tried to locate records for St Raphaels including writing to the Archives of the Good Shepherd Convent in Blackley Manchester. I have been informed they do not hold the records for St Raphaels.
I would be extremly grateful for any help.

Offline Mo Pullen

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 August 13 15:54 BST (UK) »
Ian - My mother was a resident of St Raphael's and I was born at Southmead in 1952.  How did your wife find her siblings please?  Any information (no matter how small) would be much appreciated.

Regards
Mo

Offline rosemarydenham

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 August 13 16:05 BST (UK) »
I was at St Raphael' Mother and Baby Home in Bristol in 1967/68.  I am happy to talk to anyone that I could give any useful information to.
Rosemary

Offline chubby56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 05 April 14 16:15 BST (UK) »
I was at St Raphael' Mother and Baby Home in Bristol in 1967/68.  I am happy to talk to anyone that I could give any useful information to.
Rosemary

Hi Rosemary,
I have been posting on a Facebook page called "Bristol Then & Now", spending many nights trawling the web for fascinating pictures of old Bristol, then stumbled on a webpage called "after adoption" and a thread called "The Baby Laundry" and a reference to St Raphaels mother & baby home in Bristol run by the Good Shepherd Sisters, which led me here. I was born in 1967 so that would put you there when my mother was there a Miss Joan Krishna, she later married a Sidney Webb a local Henbury lad and moved to Severn Beach. I have only one contact from the home being Pauline Munden do you know her?
when you get to read this please reply as there are many questions that can help me,

thanks you

Kev

Offline JonOfWilts

• RootsChat Extra
  • Jonathan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 01 May 14 13:03 BST (UK) »
Hi - I am trying to find records relating to a Mary BOYLE (possibly from Ireland) who was at St Raphaels, Hill End, Henbury, Bristol in 1962 when she had a child out of wedlock. I suspect I may hit a brick wall here. Any help gratefully received.
CHERY

Offline chubby56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 01 May 14 15:43 BST (UK) »
Hi - I am trying to find records relating to a Mary BOYLE (possibly from Ireland) who was at St Raphaels, Hill End, Henbury, Bristol in 1962 when she had a child out of wedlock. I suspect I may hit a brick wall here. Any help gratefully received.

I not too sure if it helps but after Henbury they moved to Newcastle I know this as fact because we paid a visit to the nuns back in 1980, Good Luck

Offline August60

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 13 May 14 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi

Have just applied for access to the National Archive records under the Freedom of Information Act. Not sure why a mother & baby home should be listed as a remand/approved school (assuming Marian House is the same as St Raphaels).