Author Topic: Crofts in North uist  (Read 65124 times)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: Crofts in North uist
« Reply #54 on: Monday 09 September 13 14:41 BST (UK) »
Hi Alexander,

It seems there was only the 1 Archibald Crawford between 1841 - 1851 N & S Uist (age 17 living with his gran) which would suggest his father may have died prior to 1841 but then again where was young Archie in 1841 - (the one living with his gran in 1851)?

Nothing worse when you hit a brick like that as there are no death certs.

A M
South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline angusm1939

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Monday 09 September 13 15:59 BST (UK) »
Archibald 84 son of Archibald Crawford shoemaker = Kate Cameron married firstly Mary Robertson and secondly Mary Maclean died 14.9.1934, the death registered by son D A Crawford. As he was originally shown as grandson living with grandparents, it looks as though the parents may have been elsewhere, perhaps Glasgow, when the young Archie was the only Crawford in North Uist. In that case, despite the coincidence of a Cameron marriage, I doubt he was related to the Benbecula/ South Uist crew.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Monday 09 September 13 21:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Alexander,

I done a search for any Crawford marriages (Kilmuir N/U) 1822 - 1854 - none

I've done a search for any births for Crawford (Kilmuir N/U) 1821 - 1854 - none.

I don't know enough about N/Uist so not sure of the other Parish records as I only have Kilmuir.

Was it merely the census info. which gave you the idea that Archibald (son of Kate Cameron) was born N/Uist?

I have searched for a marriage with surnames female MacPhail & male Crawford on SP 1848 - 1854 & there are 4. I used MacPhail 1st with soundex but didn't put in any forenames.

There are 41 deaths for surname Crawford with other names Cameron without a forename as it could have been registered anything from Catherine/Catharine/Kate/Katie/Katy/Kitty.
So there will be plenty for less than 50p which are not similar names so that will narrow things down as you will know whether Kate Cameron's hubby Archie predeceased her or not & give a possible place of death to search for him?

Looking like a trip to the mainland as N/Uist doesn't seem to be the homeland  ::) ;D

I forgot to mention that it may be a possibility that Archie (Shoemaker) & Kate emigrated?

Anne Marie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: Monday 09 September 13 22:02 BST (UK) »
Hi Alexander,

The Kilmuir I mentioned is on North Uist and no births or marriages for Crawford in that Registration Parish but there may be in other Parishes of N/Uist?

I was merely pointing to the fact that you may need to expand your search to the mainland.

Census records on the Islands back then can be sketchy as Gaelic was the language spoken by the majority, very few had English so you need to detach and allow for the margin of error.

Anne Marie

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: Monday 09 September 13 22:32 BST (UK) »

Piece: SCT1851/113 Place: North Uist -Inverness-shire Enumeration District: 1
Civil Parish: N Uist Ecclesiastical Parish, Village or Island: Trumisgary
Folio: 91 Page: 4 Schedule: 15
Address: Maloglet

Surname   First name(s)   Rel   Status   Sex   Age   Occupation   Where Born   Remarks   
    MACPHAIL   Ephumia   Head   W   F   78   Cotter    Inverness-shire - North Uist       
    MACPHAIL   Catherine   Dau   U   F   28       Inverness-shire - North Uist       
    CRAWFORD   Archibald   Grnson   U   M   17   Ag Lab    Inverness-shire - North Uist 

I am now wondering if Archibald (assuming this is him) was illigitimate and his mother is the Catherine here on the census.....................................Very probable  ??? i.e. a search for an Archibald MacPhail may be worth checking.
I've checked Kilmuir with no luck.

I also wonder if that Catherine may have married a Cameron?

Anne Marie.

P.S. I have noticed her age but that may well be an error too. The gap in terms is what I would say to be the norm if you add a few to her and minus a few for him.

Offline PaintedWarrior

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: Sunday 09 February 14 20:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Ive found out that ancestors came from N. Uist.  Archibald MacDonald who was married to Flora (Me MacDonald) was a crofter there.  He died before 18sept 1877.  Also a crofter was Angus MacVicar who was married to Ann (Me MacDonald).

Archibald and Flora had a son Roderick who lived in Cladach illory and who married Catherine McVicar who was Angus and Ann's daughter who lived in Cladach Kirkibost.

Does anyone have further information on these ancestors or the crofts they would have worked?

Regards
Mile

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: Tuesday 17 June 14 10:36 BST (UK) »
Hi PW,

Just noticed your thread.

To be honest you would be better starting your own new thread with the names & dates for your query for it to be picked up.

I only found it as I was checking info. I had for the original query on this thread before I deleted it.

Anne Marie

P.S. The reason I recommend a new thread is that people are drawn to reading posts with names of interest to them

Offline PaintedWarrior

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: Tuesday 24 June 14 23:02 BST (UK) »
Hi PW,

Just noticed your thread.

To be honest you would be better starting your own new thread with the names & dates for your query for it to be picked up.

I only found it as I was checking info. I had for the original query on this thread before I deleted it.

Anne Marie

P.S. The reason I recommend a new thread is that people are drawn to reading posts with names of interest to them

Thanks for the advice Anne Marie 👌

Offline aodh

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: Sunday 23 November 14 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi, I'm trying to gain some insight into a branch of MacLeans descended from Neil Ban MacLean, 7th of Boreray. Neil's grandson, also Neil, was the first MacLean of Kinloch. I'm trying to discover which "Kenloch" they are speaking off and I'm assuming, correctly or not, that it is located in the Outer Hebrides. The various MacLean genealogies don't seem to mention much about this branch. Between the two Neils mentioned above is Archibald MacLean of Kirkibost and later Heisker which I think is in North Uist. Archibald was Neil Ban's 4th son. Some of the descendants of this line came to Canada and I'm trying to make connections. Any and all help appreciated.
Eugene (Nova Scotia)