Author Topic: Alasdair MacDonald of N. Uist and Benbecula  (Read 26113 times)

Offline barden158

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alasdair MacDonald of N. Uist and Benbecula
« Reply #9 on: Friday 22 January 10 15:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi again Angus, i thought of that and spent the better partof yesterday trying to find something of son Alexander who died in England and was buried on Salsbury Plain. Again i came up empty, but maybe i'm not looking in the right place.Another son Angus stayed behind as well for awhile to finish his apprenticeship as a wheelright.I don't know if there would be any record of him as i don't know where he apprenticed.
Barb

Offline angusm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 23 January 10 21:28 GMT (UK) »
Alexander MacDonald's army service should certainly be recorded in WO97 at TNA, the National Archives at Kew just south of the River Thames in London. I suspect success in tracking down someone whose name will be common but perhaps spelled any which way may require someone to visit in person. That could either be a family member such as your Clan Donald relative if he lives within reach or, failing that, a paid researcher. Before going to those lengths, however, one or two of the internet data providers such as Ancestry and perhaps Find My Past have transcribed the Military records. That might be the best place to start.

If Angus stayed beyond 1828 only long enough to complete an apprenticeship, it is doubtful he will show up anywhere. I do not think there were the sort of formal written apprenticeship contracts that existed elsewhere (I have never come across one relating to the islands), he would not have had a lease of a croft holding, it is doubtful he would have been in a position to support a wife and so would not have appeared in the marriage or baptismal records and Angus MacDonald was at the very top of the list of names repeated across every township. I have had a look at the Flodda location from which the family seems to have emigrated and there is no stray Angus to be seen there at the 1841 Census or in any of the earlier marriage and birth records starting in 1829.

Alexander is much the better prospect, I think. Best wishes, Angus
Email address is not working

Offline barden158

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 24 January 10 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Hello                                                                                                              It is not possible that I go to Kews to search as i am in Canada, although the thought of going to Scotland and Ireland especially (I'm Irish and English extraction) to trace our heritage is a pleasing one. My husband's  heritage is Scottish and English.I guess i'm too much af a romantic when it comes to long ago Scotland and Ireland and England as well, with all the history and long ago Lords and Ladies.lol I've also hit a brick wall trying to trace my gg grandfather in Ireland. oh well back to Alexander..I'm not too good at manuvering some of the National Archives sites, I'll try the sites that you recommended, but i find that they usually start with ww1.
Thankyou again Barb

Offline i love the leafs (D.T)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 January 10 17:34 GMT (UK) »
hi guys thsi is my first time doing this how can i get some info on my family tree my last name is taylor

Offline i love the leafs (D.T)

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 24 January 10 17:52 GMT (UK) »
hi this is my new name

Offline angusm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 26 January 10 22:18 GMT (UK) »
There must be a considerable number of unrelated Taylors who presumably got their name from someone who was good with a pair of scissors and needle. Unless you know otherwise, they are as likely to be in England or anywhere else as Scotland. Try a Taylor surname board and give as much detail as possible.

Offline barden158

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 February 10 20:51 GMT (UK) »
Angus, Would i have a better chance do you think if I tried to trace Alexander's wife Sarah mor (Marion)?? Her father was Alexander also and her grandfather was Ronald MacDonald. Unfortuneatly I don't have any dates for them.Would it be wrong to assume that they were from N. Uist as well? I have sent an email to Kews in the hopes that i might find something of young Alasdair but so far I haven't heard anything.
Barb

Offline angusm

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 05 February 10 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Barb: did Blair say anything about Rachel when you asked him about the family? If not, I should certainly think it worthwhile to ask him the question. My feeling is that she probably was from North Uist, the qualification to that being the couple's seeming residence on the island of Flodda. That was inhabited by a set of MacDonalds who did have strong North Uist links and, as it was not the most obvious place for Rachel and her husband to settle, even temporarily, I wonder if there could have been some sort of family tie. If so, I am afraid it is not very evident as I did look through the relevant records and I did not spot a potential link. I will certainly keep an eye out for anything that would help. Meanwhile. good luck with the military angle. Angus

Offline LeitchesCreek

• RootsChat Extra
  • Charles Joseph MacDonald 1906 - 1952
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 25 February 12 18:21 GMT (UK) »
Any updates on which Island Alasdair came from?  My wife and I are planning a trip to the outer Hebrides and would love to see the old homestead.  ;D

Cheers,
Chuck
MacDonald, Walke, Sutherland, Griffin, Haugh, Buffy, Lightheart.

Email me at:  chuck@cimcom.ca