Author Topic: EMERSON - Enniskillen  (Read 15438 times)

Offline paddy_k1w1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
EMERSON - Enniskillen
« on: Saturday 21 May 11 01:14 BST (UK) »
Can someone please help me? 
I want to find the gravestone/cemetery where my great grandparents are buried.

John EMERSON
born Abt 1824 [birth date not known]
died 22 March 1917, Coa, Ballinamallard near Enniskillen

marriage: 3 Jun 1862, Derrylin, Church of Ireland, Kinawley Parish, Co. Fermanagh

Mary Anne EMERSON [nee BLAIR]
born 22 May 1836, Derrylin, Co. Fermanagh
[death date not known]

Children:
Mary Jane
Elizabeth
John
Robert
Margaret Ann
Thomas
William Irwin

Does anyone know if there is anywhere to access cemetery records for the Enniskillen area?
cheers
Paddy
Wm PATRICK b. abt 1745 - Wm PATRICK b. 1770 Glasgow - Wm PATRICK b. abt 1814 Beith - Wm PATRICK b. 1835 Beith d. 1914 NZ
Robt PATRICK b. 1732 Beith - James PATRICK b. 1757 Beith - Margt PATRICK b. 1780 Beith
Wm MILLAR b. abt 1803 - Mary MILLAR b. 1842 Kilmarnock d. 1920, NZ
Robert CROZIER b. 1776 - Mary CROZIER b. 1800 - Mary Anne BLAIR b. 1836 - Elizabeth EMERSON b. 1867
Thomas EMERSON b. abt 1800 - John EMERSON b. 1824 - Elizabeth EMERSON b. 1867

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: EMERSON - ENNISKILLEN
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 21 May 11 09:35 BST (UK) »
To start with, John Emerson is listed as Methodist in 1901 and 1911 census-
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Fermanagh/Newparton/Coa/1353179
www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Fermanagh/Newporton/Coa/519277

Occassionally a Will mentions place of burial but see that John didn't leave a Will when he died- "Emerson John of Coa county Fermanagh farmer died 22 March 1917 Administration (with Will) Belfast 28 September to Ernest Emerson farmer. Effects £78 5s." see www.proni.gov.uk

The local Church of Ireland is one possibility- records will not be online and you'd have to contact the church.

Not sure about this area of Fermanagh but most Councils keep records of the cemeteries they look after on computer now so it might be worth contacting them- just checked their website and they only list 2 cemeteries (1 opened in 2006)-
http://www.fermanagh.gov.uk/index.cfm?website_Key=47&Category_key=133&Page_Key=302

My uncle belonged to Ballinamallard Methodist Church and was buried at Sydare Cemetery (not sure how far back burials go) since there's no burial ground at the church. Perhaps contact the church to see if they have any ideas- address and phone number here
http://www.geograph.ie/photo/349699
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline paddy_k1w1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: EMERSON - Enniskillen
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 21 May 11 11:49 BST (UK) »
Thank you so so much.  The links you've provided give me a some great options to start looking.

John Emerson's obituary mentions he was buried in Tempo graveyard,  but those who have visited the cemetery, have yet to locate his gravestone.  Is it possible that the name of the cemetery is noted incorrectly in the obituary?

I am travelling to Ireland next year and am hoping to find his burial plot. 

thanks again for your help
Paddy
Wm PATRICK b. abt 1745 - Wm PATRICK b. 1770 Glasgow - Wm PATRICK b. abt 1814 Beith - Wm PATRICK b. 1835 Beith d. 1914 NZ
Robt PATRICK b. 1732 Beith - James PATRICK b. 1757 Beith - Margt PATRICK b. 1780 Beith
Robert CROZIER b. 1776 - Mary CROZIER b. 1800 - Mary Anne BLAIR b. 1836 - Elizabeth EMERSON b. 1867

Offline paddy_k1w1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 21 May 11 13:24 BST (UK) »
Could it be that the Breandrum Cemetery on Tempo Road is formerly the Tempo Cemetery?
If not, can anyone tell me where the Tempo Cemetery is?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 21 May 11 16:11 BST (UK) »
See here for location of Breadon Cemetery.

Also came across this-
http://www.flickr.com/photos/37681288@N00/3789517934/

Think it's more likely to be a burial in Church of Ireland graveyard. See here for Emerson headstones-
http://www.kabristan.org.uk/county-fermanagh-graveyards-e-l/emerson-john---fasit-mary-forsig.html

Offline paddy_k1w1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 27 May 11 07:46 BST (UK) »
Hello again,
It appears that my John Emerson of Coa [methodist] & his wife Mary [Mary Anne] are nowhere to be found in the Tempo Cemetery.   
The author of John Emerson's obituary writes that John was buried in Tempo graveyard.

JOHN EMERSON'S OBITUARY

IN MEMORIAM
Mr John Emerson, Coa, Ballinamallard

The removal of Mr John Emerson at the patriarchial age of 93, is an event of no ordinary character.  His grandfather - another John Emerson - stood by John Wesley as he preached in a little wood not far from the spot on which the family home stands.  From this contemporary of Wesley he must have heard of that great and imperessive open air service.   He had been gifted with a splendid constitution and had used it so wisely that after a long, strenuous life, he enjoyed the very best of health.  Until a few months before his death he was able  to be about as usual.  He was only absent from the services in our Hall on the last four Sundays of his life.  Gradually he grew weaker.  At length on Thursday morning, 22nd March he passed peacefully away.   On Saturday, 24th he was buried in Tempo graveyard.  A service was conducted in Coa Hall [close to his late residence] by Rev. William Moore, who also officiated at the grave.  On Sunday, 1st April, a memorial service was held in Coa Hall.  This was peculiarly fitting, as Mr Emerson had given the ground on which the building stands, and had generously contributed to it's erection.
Mr Emerson gave his heart to God at sixteen years of age - some 77 years ago.  He was a quiet, unobtrusive follower of Jesus Christ. 
Private Prayer was a special feature of his religious life.  In addition to his morning and night devotions, he was accustomed to retire after dinner each day and also after tea, and thus four times daily he "entered into his closet" and held communion with his Father in Heaven.  It mattered not how many persons might be present in the house, or how many duties pressed, he carried out this purpose with unvarying regularity.  His four sons - Thomas, John, Robert & William - followed his remains to the grave.  Each of them is serving the Church of his father in this country.    One of his three daughters in Mrs John Graham, of Brookeborough Circuit, and the other two, having emigrated to New Zealand many years ago, [/ihave made their home in that land.
Satisfied with length of days, having lived an upright and honourable life in the fear of God, and having enjoyed a peaceful eventide, he passed into the light and joy of his Master's presence.  W.M.

I am wondering, as he was a strict Methodist, could he have been buried in the Sydare Cemetery?
I am wondering if anyone has the book by Elliott, David R., [Sydare Methodist Cemetery, Magheracross Parish, County Fermanagh. Color plates of cemetery, maps, and over 1200 people listed in inscriptions. Comprehensive index] & could look up if my Emerson is listed in it?.
Cheers
Paddy

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 27 May 11 08:50 BST (UK) »
If the obituary says he was buried at Tempo graveyard then he was- it's entirely possible that there either was no headstone erected, that the hreadston is now illegible or that the headstone has fallen down or been removed/vandalised.

Offline paddy_k1w1

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 27 May 11 09:52 BST (UK) »
If John 'Emerson's funeral service was held in the Coa Hall, where would his actual burial records be registered?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 27 May 11 10:55 BST (UK) »
There are very few burial records kept. Presbyterians don't keep burial records, Church of Ireland does usually have burial registers (although many pre-1880ish ones destoyed after being sent to Dublin for safe-keeping) but often didn't record burial for those not belonging to Established church.
Sometimesa minister would keep a note of funerals of congregation/funerals attended so perhaps contact the church to see if there are any clues.