Author Topic: quandary  (Read 10404 times)

Offline janet.davis

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: quandary
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 06 February 14 05:35 GMT (UK) »
Hello Bev

Are you still looking for your Trotters.  I have done a bit more research on Alexander Trotter and Bridget Sweeney and their children, namely:
Mary Trotter born 28 Aug 1836 Irvinestown died Glasgow 11 Aug 1875 unmarried
David Esau Trotter born 8 Aug 1838 Irvinestown died Melbourne, Australia 8 Sep 1924
William George Trotter born 22 Nov 1841 Irvinestown died Glasgow 29 Apr 1872
Francis Trotter born 14 Apr 1843 Irvinestown died Glasgow 21 Jan 1888
Faithfull Montgomery Trotter born 14 Oct 1845 died Melbourne, Australia 27 Jun 1922
Robert Trotter born 1851 Irvinestown died Glasgow 28 Sep 1906
Alexander Trotter born 13 Aug 1853 Irvinestown died Glasgow 2 Feb 1876

Alexander Trotter 25 Oct 1807 Irvinestown died Glasgow 20 Mar 1877
Bridget Sweeney born c1808 Irvinestown died Glasgow 12 Feb 1867.

Thomas Roper the grandson of David Trotter of Irvinestown married Jean Adams in 1835 in Renfrewshire Scotland, came to Ballarat Australia in 1848 with his wife and children and died there 20 Dec 1885.  The death certificate unfortunately does not record his parents names.

Offline BevL

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: quandary
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 February 14 02:25 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janet,
Thank you for your information.   It must be the time of the year as I had just come back to try to find out a bit more regarding the Trotters and I had most of it except I had Mary/Margaret Trotter marrying a James Reid in 1852.   When I looked through it again it couldn't have happened as the 1871 Census shows her name as Mary and aged 34!   However, I now have the death certificate in her file, so thank you for putting me right.
I think I read somewhere - it was here on Rootschat I think - that sometimes people would shorten the names when writing out documents by hand and perhaps Marg became Mary.   It doesn't matter as she was buried under Mary Trotter anyway.
The rest co-incides with all I have, except do you know anything about Alexander Trotter who married Bridget Sweeney as it shows his parents as David Trotter and Betsy Trotter (nee Davis) on his death certificate.     I have looked through as much as I can find, but can find no marriage or her birth or death!
I have been in touch with some of the Ropers and they are like me - they don't know Thomas Ropers parents either.   It's annoying as you don't know what side of the families the parents were on.   Is he illegitimate and his mother's name was Roper, or was his mother married to a Roper?
Unfortunately, I had a massive computer crash but it was selective, it would take one thing and leave another alone, but it has still cost money to get all the details again of the ones it deleted.
Kind regards
Bev
MOORE (Kent) & FRENCH (Sussex) & Western Australia, LOVE (Kent), ROPER 1810 (N Ireland). ADAM 1808 (Paisley), Scotland, Victoria & West Aust, TROTTER 1700's onwards  Northern Ireland, Scotland & Aust, FLAHERTY 1791/2 (Ireland) CHAPMAN (Kent) &  Western Australia, CARROLL & POWER. Ireland & Western  Australia, FISHER  Lancashire & Western Australia, FIDLER Denton, Lancashire, Victoria, MARSH Essex & Western Australia, COOPER - Southwark, London, Victoria
All to the lucky country.