Author Topic: Alexander Henry McKenzie  (Read 13168 times)

Offline t mckenzie

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Henry McKenzie
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 22 August 13 21:42 BST (UK) »
Hi Sylvia,
This is the letter that my grandfther Alexander Hanry McKenzie got from John McKenzie in 1902.
                                                                                  Ballyreagh
                                                                                   Tempo
                                                                                    Ireland
                                                                                     July 19 1902
 Dear Cousin,
         Your welcome letter of july which I will try to answer as well as I can. My father and mother are dead both of them. Died in the year of 1888. You asked about your brother in Manchest. I have not heard from them this year. The last time I heard was my brother Dan was in it and they were to come over to usee us, but did not come. I don't know if any of the children went to America. Your Uncle Jame Culgan is dead years ago and his sisters are all dead but one that got married to a man the name of Elliot and he went away from her to America and she sold the place.She went to Belfast and I did not hear from her since there was another of the girls married to a man the name of Culgan and they had two children. They are iving in their uncles place-My brothers are all married and away from here only Kenieth and myself I am married and have three small children.My two sisters married too, one of them lives near Irinestown and the other near Enniskillen. My brother Joe is in America for the last 30 years. He lives in Pokeepsie. His address is 126 Perry Street Pokeepsie. Ny. So now I will drw this to a close hoping that you will receive it alll right. I remain affect. Cousin, John McKenzie" I am not sure of the spelling of Culgan. It might have an o in it instead of an u. I do not know.  Tom

Offline t mckenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 05 September 13 21:30 BST (UK) »
Sylvia,
The information you gave me about Daniel is probably correct. We were there and visited the family in 1983. The mother tried to give me a document. At the top in big letters was 1888. It must have been the sale bill of the farm. It probably had his name on it, but I do not have it or a copy. I did not think I was worthy of it. I should have taken it to the states and got it copied. I then could have mailed the original back.
I have a census of Joseph that lived in New York. The cenus is 1880. At the bottom, it mentions a Robert Hunter as a border, born 1855 in Ireland. Maybe this was Mary's brother. In John McKenzie's census of 1901 his house is 29, but there is a house 27 there is a Robert Hunter being the same age. I know this is a long shot, but he came to America for a visit with his sister. I do not know. There was a Daniel that went to Manchester from the census. He was born in 1847 in Fermanagh County. This is all I know for today. Get back with you later. Tom

Offline t mckenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 11 September 13 21:26 BST (UK) »
I came across the census of 1851 and one in 1861 in Manchester, England.This is where my family went somewhere around 1845. It states that the family came County Fermanagh. I am pretty sure that this is my family that I am looking for--John and Catherine McKenzie. Both born in 1801.The children are: Ann, Henry, Kenneth, James, John, and Daniel. Can anybody help me????? I want to confirm this.There were not many McKenzie's in County Fermanagh. The letter that I mentioned from John about his Uncle James Culgan possibly Catherine was a Culgan. Thanks. Tom

Offline t mckenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 24 November 13 02:19 GMT (UK) »
    I got and Death Record of James Culgan Born 1815 Died 26-Jan.1885 in Gargrim Co. Tryone He was bachelor,an poor man.

Daniel McKenzie  marriage was in Enniskillen 1871 to Fanny Mayres

1891 England Census
                              Daniel McKenzie        44
                              Fanny                      35
                              Emily                       13
                              Mary A                     10
                              Daniel T                     8
                              James J                     6

Offline silverdoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 14 January 14 16:32 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Tom for all the information. There do seem to be at least two families around the area with similar family names. The trail of the Mackenzie's has gone cold for me with the info you gave regarding my gg grandparents - Patrick and Madge. My Mum was thrilled with the letter you transcribed from her grandfather. She never met her grandparents, they died in 1929 and 1922 before she was born.  It would be lovely to see his handwriting. Mum was also interested to know that you had visited the McKenzie farm.  That land has been in the Mckenzie family as long as the collective family can remember. We still have a lot of family in the area too.  There is some info in the historical issues of the Belfast Telegraph about the sale of Lord Belmont's land to the tenants in the latter 1800s and 1920s.  My grandad bought his land in 1928 I think, presumably with the money bequeathed to them in the Mckenzie will.

Offline t mckenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 03 February 14 21:05 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for the reply. I am still working in 4 areas. In 1886, of April, they sold the farm in Kansas, and they went back to Virginia on the Union Pacific Railroad. There was some family at Norfork that had a farm. They offered them some land. After the Civil War, it grew up in the timber after they freed the slaves. One of the triplets died at the farm at birth, and one died at Norfolk. He was 7 years old. It took me 3 years to find his grave. I do not know who this family was. It appears to be a family plot of 12 McKenzies. There is a small stone with Fredrick and Arthur with no date. The cemetery said in 1922 that there was a fire which destroyed most of the records. They did not like the area after they had lost their son, so they came back to Kansas. They bought the farm back. It was in our family until 1984. If I find more information, I will inform you. Tom

Offline t mckenzie

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 05 February 14 20:34 GMT (UK) »
I forgot to ask the other day. I am trying to put together both families. I know what the brothers' names were. Is there a chance that some one might know the names of John's two sisters? Tom

Offline silverdoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 March 14 22:02 GMT (UK) »
I only have the birth of one of John's sisters - Ann Mckenzie 17/2/1844. She was baptised in Kilskeery parish.  Don't know what happened to her.  Can't find a marriage or married name.  Sorry!

Offline silverdoc

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 02 March 14 22:05 GMT (UK) »
Forgot to add - stumbled across the births of your Mckenzie family as well

7/10/1872 Thomas born to Thomas??? (They think this may be a transcription error) mckenzie and fanny mayers

18/2/1875 Mary Jane born to Daniel Mckenzie and fanny mayers

14/3/1876 James born to Daniel and fanny

10/8/1877 Emily born to Daniel and fanny

The rest seem right. Is it possible they had a child that did not survive?