Author Topic: has anyone heard of the Stutt's shop at Ballagh?  (Read 6960 times)

Offline mgscott

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
has anyone heard of the Stutt's shop at Ballagh?
« on: Tuesday 08 July 14 03:03 BST (UK) »
i have been researching me Stutt family in Fermanagh and after ordering my gr x3 grandmother Elizabeth's death registration (she died at Ballagh in 1867) i've learned that Stutts lived on at Ballagh right up to WWII when a Matilda Stutt and her sister were operating a shop there.  Ballagh is on the road to Roslea from Lisnaskea. I would be thrilled to recieve any information helpers may have about the shop or Stutts in general.  i don't even know what they were selling in the shop although earlier census returns said they made lace products. all info appreciated.
Merv
Scott-Traquair, Catslacknowe, Ashkirk, Sco
Stutt-Co Fermanagh and Tyrone, Ulster, NI
Newton-North Plantagenet(CAN), Ireland
Grieve-Roberton, Lilliesleaf Sco
Hodgins-Cloughjordan, Co Tipperary, Ire
Elliot-Canonbie, Bogra, Holmhead, Annan, Sco and Egremont Engl
Little-Canonbie Sco,  Kingsbridgeford, Thirlwall, Wallasey Eng
McAlister-Louth Co., Queen's Co. Ire
Smith-Whitehaven Eng

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: has anyone heard of the Stutt's shop at Ballagh?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 05:08 BST (UK) »
Not Ballagh in the civil parish of Galloon per se, but not a million miles away within the neighbouring civil parish of Clones, there is this reference:

Mrs Stutt’s shop actually was in Killyfole townland but on the roadside almost in Crockarevan. She carried on a busy country shop attached to the family home for over forty years.

http://www.fermanaghroots.com/wiki/index.php?title=Crockarevan

Crockarevan and Killyfole townlands lie beside each other. Is there a chance the family shifted from Ballagh to Killyfole over time?

Offline mgscott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 07:16 BST (UK) »
gaffy, thanks for pointing out the Killyfole Stutts. What years would Mrs Stutt have run her shop there?
Smith-Whitehaven Eng

Offline mgscott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 07:19 BST (UK) »
ShaunJ. the streetview link is great but i'm never visited...yet. would you consider that to be Ballagh? I couldn't find Killyfole or Crockarevan on Google maps so i'm obviously lost.
Smith-Whitehaven Eng

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 14:15 BST (UK) »

gaffy, thanks for pointing out the Killyfole Stutts. What years would Mrs Stutt have run her shop there?

I'm afraid I don't know, the reference I provided just seemed like a coincidence, given the combination of the relatively uncommon surname, shop context, and proximity to Ballagh (I will post further on proximity).

Online gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 14:17 BST (UK) »

I couldn't find Killyfole or Crockarevan on Google maps so i'm obviously lost.

On the issue of proximity to Ballagh, if you search for Ballagh, Crockarevan, and Killyfole on the website link below (remember to specify County Fermanagh for Ballagh, as unlike the latter two, it's a fairly common name) and select 'map view' on the results, you will be able to see where they all are (you'll have to play around with the 'zoom' to read anything, but it's worth bearing with):

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=placeSearch

BTW, once you are in 'map view', there is a slide in the top right corner that lets you 'morph' between what you find on the old map and what is on a modern map.

I had no problem finding Crockarevan and Killyfole on the old map as they are right beside each other, however I initially struggled to see Ballagh - if you struggle likewise then I'd suggest, as an alternative, that if you find Crockarevan/Killyfole on the old map, pan to the left / west approximately 4,800 metres as the crow flies (you can see the scale at the bottom, 200 metres is just under 2 centimetres), then you'll see it.

But just to help, if you keep to the right track on that 4,800 metre pan  left / west, you will see a clump of three townlands - Corflugh above Coolnamarrow and Mountarby (Mount Darby) - then the townland of Tully (you have to pan up to see the name), then the townland of Tattycam (you are now in Galloon civil parish, having just left Clones civil parish), then the townland of Coolnasillagh (Coolnashillagh), before arriving at the townland of Ballagh.

So Ballagh is about 4,800 metres (only 3 miles, old money) from the nearest point of Crockarevan / Killyfole, which is why I posted the reference.

Offline mgscott

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 15:31 BST (UK) »
the map worked wonderfully. thanks so much. my grx3 grandmother Elizabeth Stutt died at Ballagh in 1867 according to her death record i ordered from PRONI. i'm told that Matilda Stutt (married a Connolly) ran a small shop from the same Ballagh house into the WWII days. i can see it on the map just south of Armagh Manor...near the corn mill and kiln but on the main Dernawilt road.

I am guessing that Matilda (Stutt) Connolly is a different Stutt than the Mrs. Stutt at Killyfole. it is becoming clearer to me. I'll have to dig into the Stutt details at Killyfole to see if i can make a connection.

Elizabeth Stutt was buried at Lisnaskea Graveyard with her husband Archibald Stutt who predeceased her in 1848. I have found online the headstone of Matilda Stutt/Connolly's family at Lisnaskea but not Elizabeth and Archibald. I'll have to come (from Canada) and pay my respects if i can find them. If I could bother you with another question, do you know of a plot map or some such list that would help me find their headstone?
Merv

Smith-Whitehaven Eng

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 21:36 BST (UK) »
Hi Merv,

Is this any good to you, St Mark's. Aghadrumsee.

All I have, no other information, Sorry

Rusty
Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).
Gardiner in Victoria, Australia.
Ireland names in Lanarkshire & Midlothian, Scotland.
Gray & Jamieson Names in Unst Shetland Is.

Offline Rustyscupp

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 08 July 14 23:10 BST (UK) »
Just another snippet of info, there were several Stutt Marriages & Baptisms conducted at Sallaghy church. Registers are in Local custody held by the Church.

C.I. Sallaghy (Clogher diocese)
Baptisms, 1857-1999; Marriages, 1845-1977; burials, 1884-1974

Records DESTROYED in 1922 Dublin Fire were: Baptisms 1841 – 1857,
Marriages 1842 - 1845 & Burials 1849 – 1884.

Additional information specific to Sallaghy:

In 1840 Sallaghy parish was created out of Galloon parish. In 1847 William Bredin became curate there. For reasons which are not exactly clear, he undertook to do his own census of his new parish. Reverend Bredin starred the census on Sallaghy Parish in 1840 but didn't finish it, as his wife became ill and died in 1849 leaving him with young children. The timing is not specific but believed to be 1850/1. Brian MacDonald has transcribed part of this census ('A Fermanagh Census') and it is published in The Clogher Record 1993 Vol XIV No 3 starting at page 77.

Stutt's are not mentioned in this version but a version containing more townlands can be found here: http://www.igp-web.com/IGPArchives/ire/fermanagh/censubs.htm

Filename is "Census Substitute of Galloon 1843-1851".

Rusty

Fermanagh, N.Ireland. Gardiner, Bryans, Clingan, Fawcett, Downey, Armstrong and any marriages into Gardiner or Bryans (incl Variants of all names).
Gardiner in Victoria, Australia.
Ireland names in Lanarkshire & Midlothian, Scotland.
Gray & Jamieson Names in Unst Shetland Is.