Author Topic: Osborne family - Lurgan  (Read 7884 times)

Offline sigmund

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Osborne family - Lurgan
« on: Thursday 04 January 07 10:13 GMT (UK) »
I am seeking any information concerning the parents Meredith Osborne and his wife Margaret (maiden name?) of William Henry Osborne who married Sarah Upritchard in 1896 at Christ Church, Lurgan.  I have some information regarding the Osborne and Upritchard families if anyone else is researching these lines.
Dixon, Morris, Waite, Osborne lines

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Osborne family - Lurgan
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 August 07 07:28 BST (UK) »
 The family seems to have gone mainly to one church.  Whether these are all family members is something you will have to find.  I didn't see many marriage records for the family.

Meredith Osborne and Margaret Patterson baptized William Henry  at Lurgan First Presby Church. These are  baptism records from that church.   Wm Henry was born Jan 19, 1872 and Meredith was a weaver in Ballymacateer.  Elizabeth Ann b. April 14, 1865 in Toberhewny, Jane Oct 21, 1863 in ToberhewnyRobert Aug 20. 1862, Meredith born Dec 25, 1873 Robert May 31, 1876

Probably related to Meredith is John Osborne who married Ann Webb and also was a Ballymacateer weaver.  They had Robert in March 4, 1872, Henry March 4, 1870, Ellen Jane Nov 15, 1864, Jacob Dec 2, 1862, William Oct 15, 1855 Tullyheron, John Nov 1 1857 TullyheronRobert April 14, 1860 Tullyheron, Mary Ann March 11, 1875

Another weaver from there is Robert Osborne and Elizabeth Hull who had James June 30, 1970 , Thomas Oct 17, 1872

William Henry and Sarah Uprichard had son Thomas was born July 5, 1903, Gertrude 4-9-1910.  Since they had Maggie about 1898ish and I don't see that baptism, I assume she was baptized at her mother's church and the wedding might also be through her church. I can't easily see Lurgan First marriages from that period. .

Meredith had Henry Dec 19, 1906

Also possibly related is Jane Osborne, father Robert of Ballymacateer. a weaver, who married George Graham 2-11-1867a weaver in the same town with weaver father John.

James Richey 20 of Lurgan son of Laborer John married Elizabeth Osborne dau of  farmer Robert of Ballymacateer Dec 1854,

Less promising is Joseph McDowell, son of Richard of the same town, all weavers married Mary Osborn  of Corcreany (Co. Down)  father John Dec 25, 1856

The church records don't give details early on and I didn't  notice whether these are all births or some baptisms.

William son of Robert born Oct 28, 1824
John to Robt Osborn Oct 27, 1826
Francis son of Robt Osborne by Elizabeth Miles Dec 4, 1822, Francis Dec 4, 1828 (sounds like a transcriber error somewhere here, probably b. 1828)
Francis to Ezekiel Osborne and Deborah Sewal April 5, 1838 Ballymacateer

William son of Henry Osborne  and Susannah Greer  July 16, 1830, Henry March 19 1835 in Ballymacateer Mary Shaw b. May 10, 1843, Robert b. 2-1-1845 Belfast

John Osburn son of John b. Jan 8, 1762
William to John Osburn b. May 24, 1766
Records between 1875 and 1808 are missing and few exist until about 1820. I have a gap of about 100 records later on, also.

Offline maryderry

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 August 07 18:35 BST (UK) »
marriage.         meredith osborne m. margaret patterson 29-11-1861 at shankill cofi shaankill,lurgan, armagh, ire.

regards mary.
doolin?
quigley- hasson. stewart. lynch. doherty gallagher-derry
mclaughlin-  brennan .moville co. donegal
mctaggart
monaghan

Offline sigmund

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 August 07 09:47 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much for such an enormous amount of information, and the amount of work that you must have put into it.  It has certainly given me many lines to follow up.  How did you manage to obtain the parish records?

And now I even have the date and place of the marriage.

Any suggestions as to how I might find the birth or baptism record of Meredithas I find that there is normally such a dearth of information when trying to research the Irish side of the family.

Thanks again

Offline sigmund

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 August 07 10:16 BST (UK) »
Do you have any idea as to what 'shankill cofi' might be?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 August 07 10:39 BST (UK) »
Shankill Church of Ireland
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline KatC

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 10 August 07 17:55 BST (UK) »
Ballymacateer is in Co. Down and records can be found under Moira or Magheralin, Co. Down.  The Osbornes appear to have been researched by a family who went to Queensland, Australia.

You are lucky as there are a number of sites which cover Co. Down records. This site, RosDavies, Caora, and familysearch are some of the possibilities.   The Co. Down gravestone books do not seem to have your family.

It is very typical to find the oldest child is baptized in the mother's church, the one where the marriage took place.  Possibly the oldest Meredith is the oldest child , as I did not see any baptism records for him.  Robert is the only Ballymacateer Osborne in Griffiths, so I assume this is the father and Elizabeth Miles is his mother.  There are 2 Miles families in Ballymacateer then.  You might try to research this line to see which church they went to and if anyone followed Elizabeth.  You also should look at any Merediths in the area as it is a fairly unique name there.  Possibly it is from Elizabeth's family, especially perhaps her mother's maiden surname. Maybe not.

Perhaps the Ballymacateer census has more information.    Perhaps the Australian family has some.  The older Meredith is probably buried at Lurgan First Presby and they may be able to help you or a researcher could.  There is an index to deaths in Ireland, and someone could find his death year and the age he was said to be at death.  Then a search for baptism records could be made.  Henry, who moved to Belfast, has a daughter? interested in contacting family in the US.  Perhaps you could track down those families for information.   I would do as much research as you can in Co. Down records and then ask a professional researcher for help if necessary.

I am attaching the younger Meredith's baptism record.  Hope it arrives.   

Moderator comment: image made smaller as it was stretching the screen & the other replies disappeared!

Offline sigmund

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 11 August 07 09:49 BST (UK) »
Thanks again.  The record arrived ok.  Do you by any chance have any contact details for the Australian family?

Your suggestions are so helpful

Offline jigguy29

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 13 May 10 04:32 BST (UK) »
I have lines in my family but that is in the 1920's my great great aunt sadie whom I think was a Uprichard from Ann Street in Lurgan, married into the Osbourne family and then they had 2 sons Gordon and Jim