Author Topic: Bredon Family, Portadown, Co. Armagh  (Read 6937 times)

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Bredon Family, Portadown, Co. Armagh
« on: Wednesday 05 August 09 02:33 BST (UK) »
1.  Dr. Alexander Bredon, M.D., of Ballintaggart House; m. Catherine Breadon, dau of Dr. Joseph Breadon of Montreal, Canada.

2.  Dr. Sir Robert Edward Bredon, (1846-1918); m. 1879 Lily Virginia Banks of San Francisco, CA
He served in China with his brother and brother-in-law.

3.  Juliet Bredon, authoress

2.  Dr. Alexander Macaulay Bredon, b. 1849; m. 1881 Annie Isabella Surtees, dau of Anthony Surtees of San Antonio, TX

3.  Capt.  Alexander Surtees Bredon, b. 1885
3.   Anthony Surtees Bredon, b. 1888
3.  Margaret Sarah Bredon

2.  Major Mathew Boyd Bredon (1855-1900); Deputy Commissioner of Customs, China;
m. 1898 Mary Kerron Birney; both buried at Brompton Cemetery, London

2.  Hester Jane Bredon  m. Sir Robert Hart, son of Henry Hart and Miss Edgar, dau of John Edgar of Ballybreagh with issue.

My question:  One of the Bredons had the middle name of Macaulay while his brother had the middle name of Boyd.  The use of these two surnames indicates that they may have had some connection to the Macaulay family of Cushendall, Co. Antrim.  Related?  Friends?  If possible, I would like to discover this connection.

Offline gaithers

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Bredon Family, Portadown, Co. Armagh
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 08:23 BST (UK) »
hi there, i just read with curiosity your post as my cousin is now resident in ballinteggart house and my uncle carson was born there. i dont know if they would have any info but if you would like i will ask them. regards. paul , richhill, northern ireland.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 August 09 13:37 BST (UK) »
My question:  One of the Bredons had the middle name of Macaulay while his brother had the middle name of Boyd.  The use of these two surnames indicates that they may have had some connection to the Macaulay family of Cushendall, Co. Antrim.  Related?  Friends?  If possible, I would like to discover this connection.
Don't think you can assume any connection to Cushendall families just because Boyd and Macaulay are used as middle name- perhaps named after relatives, relatives by marriage, doctor, minister, schoolteacher, etc.
Looking at the details you have posted it looks as thought the Bredons might be easier to trace than the 'average' Ulster family- Wills, property records, newspapers, etc.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 August 09 13:08 BST (UK) »
Dear Gaithers,
Any additional information and help would be much appreciated.  I received the following reply
on genforum:
Cemetery inscription in Tullyallen Cemetery outside Drogheda---as transcribed by the late Jim Garry.

BREDON
Beneath are deposited the remains of Hugh Bredon of Mellifont who died the 15th of June 1851 aged 95 and of Martha his wife who died May 17th 1848 aged 75 also their two sons Edward aged 35 and William aged 20 and four daughters Mary Anne,Isabella Anne and Florence likewise Jane Macauley sister to Martha Bredon.
For as in Adam all die,even so in Christ shall all be made alive.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 August 09 16:13 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   There is a will abstract for Catherine Bredon of Portadown, a widow who died 1894 on the PRONI Wills website.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 August 09 13:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks.   It looks as though the will mentions possibly two of her daus, Martha Elizabeth and Margaret Sarah, both spinsters.

Offline skm95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 20:10 BST (UK) »
[My question:  One of the Bredons had the middle name of Macaulay while his brother had the middle name of Boyd.  The use of these two surnames indicates that they may have had some connection to the Macaulay family of Cushendall, Co. Antrim.  Related?  Friends?  If possible, I would like to discover this connection.]: The answer is yes!.

Alexander Markham m. Sophia Hulbert Falloon. Her brother Edward Leslie Sheppard Falloon m. Eliza Breadon, dg of Joseph Breadon, Esq., Surgeon, R.N. Alexander Markham lived at Cushendall at one time. He named his first son Alexander Macaulay Markham.

Then the Eliza Breadon mentioned here, her sister Katherine Breadon m. Alexander Bredon, M.D., and had a son Robert Breadon, Sir.

I am looking for the parents of this Alexander Markham b:1796/7. Just can't find them. Thanks - Bart.
====

Offline skm95

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 24 September 14 20:59 BST (UK) »
Hello: I am a bit rusty here, I was looking into the Markham family a while back.

Alexander Macaulay, Major [Glenville Cushendall] m. Alice Stewart: They had a son: Alexander Macaulay, [Glenville Cushendall] m. Mildred Reid: They had a son: Alexander Macaulay, [Glenville Cushendall] d:1766 m. Margaret Boyd (Of Ballycastle): They had at least 4 offspring:

1. Alexander Macaulay, Esq. [Glenville Cushendall], 1766: High Sheriff Antrim County, (1734-1817) m. Julia Henrietta Acheson: They had (Partial): a. Alexander Macaulay, Rev.

2. Hugh Macaulay, [Hugh Macaulay Boyd] (1746-1794): Changed surname to inherit maternal estate.

Sophia Hulbert Falloon parents: Marcus Smith Falloon, [Rector Layde Church Cushendall] + Maria Jane Wolseley.

There were at least 5 consecutive generations of [Alexander Macaulay] in Glenville near Cushendall. If you come across any other Markhams coming in anywhere, let me know!. Thanks - Bart.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 25 September 14 04:21 BST (UK) »
If I should come across any more info, I will be sure to let you know.  I may have put some additional info on the genforum site, though.