Author Topic: combe family newhaven  (Read 13391 times)

Offline Jean McGurn

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: combe family newhaven
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 31 October 10 07:38 GMT (UK) »
I am also researching Comb from Newhaven and have obtained a copy of the O.P.R. marriages Leith North. It is for Robert Comb, Fisherman and Darney Main (daughter of William Main, Fisherman). Witness by Robert Young, John Flucker and David Auchenleck Elder on 6 Dec 1833.

The next entry below is for John Comb, Fisherman   and Grace Christie (daughter of the late John Christie Sailmaker). Witness by Robt Young, Mathew Main and David Auckenleck Elder also 6 Dec 1833.

They were married the same day but not by the same ministers. Robert and Darney were married by Rev James Harper Min  Leith and John and Grace by Rev Jas Grant  Min of S.Leith. 

David Auckenleck is at both weddings so wonder if these two couples were married in their own houses and the Elder went to both so although same day must have been at different hours.

Not sure if Robert and John were brothers as there is no mention of fathers name.  Robert and Darney had a son also called Robert who was born in 1834 but  by 1841 Darney had gone and Robert senior was married a second time.

Jean
McGurn, Stables, Harris, Owens, Bellis, Stackhouse, Darwent, Co(o)mbe

Offline kris47

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 31 October 10 21:06 GMT (UK) »
I would like to recommend a book for people with an interest in Newhaven.
"Newhaven-on Forth Port of Grace"  Tom McGowran.  John Donald Publishers Ltd., 138 St Stephen Street, Edinburgh
ISBN 0 85976 130 4

Kris

Offline reneemaxi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 00:20 BST (UK) »
I have been researching my grandmother Grace McCluskey daughter of Grace Comb and Joseph McCluskey.  Grace married Donald McKechnie in Brooklyn NY around 1913 although I still cant find a wed cert.  Grace was living with her sister Sarah in Brooklyn before she got married.  There is some evidence that she was married to a Charles or Ralph Riley in Montreal who later died.  She had a child called Grace I was led to believe this was a child from her first marriage but again I can not find a birth cert.  Her child Grace does not appear on any documentation I have found from 1912-1915 in USA and Canada.  There is family talk that the child Grace was sent back to Scotland but I cant find her.  Grace and Donald stayed in USA and Canada until 1916 before returning to Edinburgh were my father Donald was born on the 24th July 1916.  Grace is later found living with the family in Scotland and marriedDavid Timpany in 1941 she uses the name McKechnie as her surname but im not sure.  If anyone can shine any light on this it was be much appreciated.  thanks Irene 

Offline jessden

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 12:36 BST (UK) »
Just to add a bit more information. about the family of John Combe and Grace Christie.  Grace died on 17 June 1853, aged 43.  the cause of death was given as Child Birth.  The child was presumably Robert who was mentioned by terry hastie in his post on 10 October 2010. Robert died on 27 November 1853 and the cause of death was given as teething. Thomas Combe died 11 August 1852. aged 6 years, cause of death Disease in Heart. Ann Kerr Combe died 26 July 1851, aged 1year 1 month, cause of death Consumption.  They are all buried in Rosebank Cemetery Edinburgh.

Jessie

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 05 April 11 12:50 BST (UK) »
Gets confusing jumping about generations, but here goes!

Regarding Grace, daughter of Grace Comb and Joseph McCluskey, have you seen that there is a border crossing card for her entering the US and destined to her sister Sarah McClusky in Brooklyn? This is from November 1912 and she shows as already married to Donald McKechie. Entry transcribed as MCKECHIAN.
So, marriage date for her to Donald McKechnie before 1913.

There are also two slightly earlier border crossings for her, with father's details showing as contact back in Edinburgh, entering the US from Canada in November 1911 and January 1912 - not seeing much of a time window for a first marriage for her if by November 1912 she showed as married to Donald McKechnie...

Monica  :)

Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline reneemaxi

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 October 11 13:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Monica
Thanks for the info looks like someone has been telling fibs.....I have found birth of Margaret Irene McKechnie 25th July 1913 Port Credit  (Ontario archives microfilm MS929 Ref 44915-13) daugher of Donald McKechnie, latter Grace McCluskey (widow) married 19 Oct 1912 Brooklyn NY.
Still no sign of a marriage cert or birth cert of their other daughter Marion Elizabeth
Cheers Irene

Offline Ripsnorter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 04 January 13 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi Reneemaxi,
                    I've got quite a bit of information on Grace, she was married to my Great Grandfather.
If you are still interested let me know.
Roger McCluskey.

Offline tidybooks

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 04 January 13 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Roger,

Welcome to Rootschat, hope you enjoy. We have a Personnel Message (PM) system to communicate without giving email addresses on an open forum. You have to have made 3 posts, replying to this will count as the second. Another post to Reneemaxi with another piece of info will be thiird and allow you to communicate direct to Reneemaxi.

Tom
Scotland - Buchanan, Thomson, Pat(t)erson, Stewart, Ritchie, Tracey
Ireland - Tracey, Conroy, Pat(t)erson.

Offline Ripsnorter

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 06 January 13 08:12 GMT (UK) »
Cheers Tom.