Author Topic: Inveresk, Midlothian  (Read 9553 times)

Offline Skibogray

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Inveresk, Midlothian
« Reply #9 on: Friday 18 December 09 15:39 GMT (UK) »
My family of Proctors lived at Greenhall (NW corner of Market andLochend) for a period up to 1882 when they departed for Canada.  Head of household was James Hutchison Proctor, a surgeon dentist.  One of his sons came back  in 1904 and took away the daughter of a local clothier and tailor,  Elizabeth Grace Brooks.  They married in Manitoba but in 1915 the son died and Elizabeth returned to Inveresk in 1919 and instantly married George Duncan Lowe a Market Gardener of some standing.  They lived at a place called Glenview, Inveresk, and their connections lived there right up until 2001.  I have not been able to locate this place or home.  Mr. Lowe was also said to be of Fernielea (various spellings)  He died in 1938,  Elizabeth died in 1954,  the son she adopted in Canada,  William Proctor died in 1957 and his wife died in 2001 all the time having the address of Glenview Inversness.  Any information of any sort about these people or places would be appreciated.

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 18 December 09 16:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi Skibogray, welcome to rootschat :)

I believe Glenview is the house at 19 Wedderburn Terrace Inveresk (there is reference to it in a document held by East Lothian Planning department). There is also reference to a "gardeners" house or bungalow in the letters regarding the plans. This may be the same building if Mr Lowe was a Gardener.

http://www.rootschat.com/links/07pd/   

Wedderburn House which is at the end of that street used to be Inveresk Poorhouse.

Hope this helps

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline Skibogray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 18 December 09 17:16 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for that Kirsty.  That location according to Google Maps would fit being out in the country and all.  Can't read any numbers on the houses so don't which is which.  Must be two story though as in Elizabeth Lowe's will she specifies that "Elizabeth Sinton was to have liferent of the top or upper flat of Glenview."  She leaves money to have a staircase put in etc.  Also in the Will documents two pieces of land purchased by Mr. Lowe are mentioned and these are left to Mary Constance Proctor widow of Elizabeth Lowe's adopted son,  William in 1959.  "A Park of 12 acres with a house to the south west corner on the road leading from Inveresk by the Cowpits and Dalkeith."  snd "12 acres to the north side of the Post Road from Wallyford to Dalkeith"  both acquired by George Duncan Lowe 16 May 1912.  Would one of these fit the Glenview Location?  She mentions Gillespies in that will.  Should I list them?

Offline KirstyG

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 18 December 09 18:22 GMT (UK) »
Cowpits Road runs alongside the A1 not far from Wedderburn Terrace, with cowpits itself being almost due south of Wedderburn House.

The post road from Wallyford to Dalkeith is most likely what is called Salters Road/Whitecraig Road (A6094).

The plots of land would therefore be nearby, but not Glenview itself.

You may be able to work out the location of the land by looking at old maps eg.

http://www.nls.uk/maps/os/oneinch_3rd_list.html

http://geo.nls.uk/os6inch/google.html

The more information you give, the more likely it is that someone else may recognise something you mention. :)

Kirsty
Galloway,   Landers,   Lindsay,  Gillespie,  Irvine
Erskine,   McAdam,  Hawthorn
Robertson,   Duncan,   Edmonstone,    Black
Anderson,  Nicholson,  Crombie,  MacDonald
Arch, Herbert, Charlesworth, Chapman

Offline lyndyloo6

• RootsChat Veteran
  • My Great Grandmother, Susan Allan Welsh,Bervie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 19 December 09 23:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi There,

Would this possibly be Lowes farm, which is just off the A7?  It is a pick your own fruit in the summer and has loads of orchards.....It is a peice of land not far from Musselburgh, perhaps 4 - 5 miles at most.  Just a thought

regards,
Lynda
Welsh Allan, Wemyss, Caird, McAllister,Gibb, Kincardineshire,
Chisholm, Rew,McDonald,Macdonald, Brechin, McConnachie, Pirie, Welsh, Angus
Gibb, Allan, Ross, Stewart,McRobb, Aberdeenshire,
Horan,  Edinburgh.
Robertson, Penicuik, oodfellow, Hodgson, Birtley,Chester le Street Durham.

Offline Skibogray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 20 December 09 14:39 GMT (UK) »
Well I don't know Lynda - could be.  It seems that George Duncan Lowe was preceded in the market gardening business by his father so it was a long standing local operation.  The series of owners after George would be Elizabeth Grace Lowe, William Proctor and then the latter's  wife who waa Mary Constance McLellan born Edinburgh in 1920 then married  a William Wann in 1941 who may have died in the war and then William Proctor who died Inveresk 1957 whereupon she remarried a William Currie in 1963 in Edinburgh dying in 2001 in Inveresk at 80. So the last owner of interest would have ben called Mary Constance Currie if anybody recalls such a person in the area.  Also an Elizabeth Sinton was granted liferent to live in the upper story of "Glenview" by Mrs. Lowe in 1954.

Offline Skibogray

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 20 December 09 20:59 GMT (UK) »
Found Fernielea!!  If you google Whitecraig along with Fernielea you will first see a planning commission link of recent  vintage which leads to a PDF showing Fernielea in glorious technicolor on the map. Appears to be a building or buildings still there and located at the Southeast corner of the intersection of the Esk with the A1. Doesn't say what's going on there as the 9 page document has to do with approval of a shed to be built over a space just across the road.

This being near Cowpits etc it fits what my kind responders have been talking about.

Offline jockmct

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 March 14 10:18 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone,

Mary Constance McLellan was my 2nd cousin once removed.  I have a fair amount of information on her family  which I'm more than happy to share. I would also love to hear more about Mary as she was the last connection to the branch of my family who retained the name McLellan.

Regards